Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't take it anymore. - Brexit Schmexit. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    48% of us voted to remain, so there's obviously going to be a lot of people who are upset with the result. We're not going to shut up just so certain people don't feel upset about their vote. Especially when we see certain Brexiters only voting leave because of their bigoted views.

Attachment 556719

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Let's put this into perspective for a moment.

Huntingdon (1) had a population of 23,732 in 2011, which has grown at a negligible rate. (2) 17,410,742 persons voted to leave. (3)

Even if every single person in Huntingdon was a racial extremist, that would equal 0.13630665482% of the leave voting population. I doubt number is even close to 100; I doubt the number is even half that. I doubt it is even a tenth who posted those leaflets. You haven’t divided it by ethnicity, you haven’t divided it by class, so your methodology was ****.

A certain europhile comes to mind; Tony Blair. Yet he’s universally regarded as a war criminal. Does that mean all Bremainers are war criminals? No, of course not. It’s ironic Tony Blair was voted in for three terms I think.

I’ll go as far to say you are pulling the association fallacy on multiple accounts, an appeal to emotion, and scapegoating.

I’m sorry if I wrongly presume, but it’s a similar situation one might say with the Islamic population. Being a Muslim yourself (being a part of the Islamic Society on TSR (4)) can you not see the hypocrisy in your own words? Only a small minority of Muslims are extremists, who don’t discriminate between those they kill (well yes they do to an extent.) But does that transfer to the rest of a population? Are you an extremist? (It’d be ironic if you are.)

Are you sure you’re not being a bit biased/a bit sensitive here because of your ethnic heritage? (Your profile and profile picture indicating so, being in the British Asians society, Pakistani Society and Punjabi society.)

It would be hard not to hate leave voters; I understand, I really do. It’s hard not to hate a lot of Muslims when one tells you you should be stoned to death for being gay, but I manage successfully.

It’s not fair on leave voters, not fair on me, not fair on Anon, and such vitriol isn’t healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    I am sick of it.

It has only been 24 hrs and I'm already absolutely sick of it, I can't sleep, it's almost 8am + I don't think I can take much more.

I constantly state how much I don't care about this issue and as a result try and distance myself from it through excessive laughter + an attitude which perhaps expresses a lack of empathy, but maybe that is only bc I do infact care and use it as a ..defence mechanism. Something I would like to change.

Democracy is not about lowering the voting age so the outcome can be altered and swing in a way in which appeals to the majority of today's youth.

Democracy is not about adopting a disgusting attitude and eradicating the elderly's right to vote simply bc they may not be around for as long as ourselves.

Democracy is not about trying to put forward a 2nd referendum bc you didn't concur with the result of the first.

Democracy is about allowing all eligible members of all backgrounds, races, class and age to vote in a way they see most fit. It is about ALL members of this eligible population making a choice which they feel appeals best to them as well as the country and if that was to leave the European Union then that is the decision we must now accept.

I repeat, accept. Not challenge.

We are part of a democratic society and we need come forward, together, as a country, rather than segregate amongst ourselves bc we didn't get our way.

The country has spoken and the fact that the results were pretty split on this close hearted referendum shows that it really wasn't a straightforward choice. Labelling the opposing side with a string of insults isn't going to change that.

Every single person I know who is my age on social media has been posting vomit-inducing tweets like:

"All brexiters I've seen are overweight, white, chavy people who live off benefits"

"How the rich, upperclass think leaving the EU is greater than the economy."

"We've let the older generation decide the future of the younger generation. GG."

"I'm moving to Peru, leaving party is on Saturday."

"I don't wish to be part of a Xenophobic society."

Little do they know that a person they regard as a friend is part of the offensive, nonsensical categorized group they have created.

I voted to leave the UK on the 23rd June and now I am made to feel like a child that isn't capable of making decision.

I am made to feel like my vote is unworthy.

I am made to feel like an inferior.

I am made to feel like I am better off lying about my vote bc it'll reduce judgement and backlash.

As are many others.

It is no surprise that amongst my peers, I seem to be the one of the few who has voted against the remain campaign.

Regardless, I stand by my choice and I respect those who hold a different opinion to my own.

Britain is not going to be ruined over the fact we have left Europe, as some people on here seem to think.

Britain is going to be ruined over people taking the moral high ground and strongly holding the idea that the only view which is correct is their own leading to a country which has no sense of togetherness or belonging.

I am part European and I did not vote leave bc I wish to seclude all Europeans from this country.- That would be utterly ridiculous. Many people I know didn't either, yet I have witnessed so many remainers making comments about how they feel they are no longer wanted here and it makes me feel like there is a big misunderstanding over this issue. A misunderstanding that desperately needs to be resolved. People need to change their perception of what has occurred in order for our future to proceed in the best way possible bc that's what this is, perception. I did not travel to a polling station to draw a cross in a box that was titled "tick here if you wish to make EU migrants feel unwelcome", rather one that represented an undesired political merge and I feel that is what people need to realise and differentiate between.

Finally, I think that the only way this will go forward is if the derogatory remarks stop. We need to be willing to genuinely understand + respect one another's opinions. I am sorry for all those people who feel as if their future has been ruined, I am sorry for all those people who feel as though Britain is never going to be the same again but the current way in which most of us are behaving will not get us anywhere.

Labelling over 17 million people as idiots bc they didn't conduct in they way that you hoped is pure irony.

As of tomorrow, let us stop referring to one another as "leavers" + "remainers" bc it is only creating a greater division.

Please.

(end of rant, goodnight.)
    Agreed. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Its not particularly insulting, its pretty factual that the leave areas tended to be poor, run down, places, with little or no EU immigration and or elderly voters

Why people are upset, is that we are meant to believe that these brexit places are how the rest of the nation should aspire to be:

poor, run down, elderly and with little or no EU immigration

I do not feel this picture is being rude, its pretty much how it is

We do not want to be poor, run down , with little EU immgration and old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)

Why people are upset, is that we are meant to believe that these brexit places are how the rest of the nation should aspire to be:

poor, run down, elderly and with little or no EU immigration
    I always thought it was the poorer areas that saw high immigration. Which are these poor areas with no immigration?

But if you are poor, it doesn't sit well to be told by a millionaire that their stock holdings might fall in value if there was a vote to leave. You can empathise with that argument surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I always thought it was the poorer areas that saw high immigration. Which are these poor areas with no immigration?

But if you are poor, it doesn't sit well to be told by a millionaire that their stock holdings might fall in value if there was a vote to leave. You can empathise with that argument surely?
    Nope - the highest levels of EU migrants are in the Big Cities that all voted Remain.

Places like Hartlepool (I have double checked) have very low levels of EU Migration in both relative and absolute terms.

This goes right across the board. I do empathise with poor people but I being richer, I feel, I do have more concrete knowledge as to what enabled me to be richer - and Free Movement was pretty much at the heart of it.

I'm sure your "millionaire" thing does ring true - but in that case the Brexit voter has got what they want already - The Eton Toffs, are no longer in charge.

ReputationRep:
    This goes right across the board. I do empathise with poor people but I being richer, I feel, I do have more concrete knowledge as to what enabled me to be richer - and Free Movement was pretty much at the heart of it.
    In the end we all want to go with whatever betters ourselves. You feel free movement has made you richer, I feel free movement is preventing me from being rich, so even if we don't think the same I would hope that there can be empathy in that context.

Oh and we do not want to be old? That sounds a bit suicide-y...
    And some of us do want little immigration so that's a bit of a one sided statement (as opposed to no one wanting to be poor or run down as you say).

ReputationRep:
    Nope - the highest levels of EU migrants are in the Big Cities that all voted Remain.

Places like Hartlepool (I have double checked) have very low levels of EU Migration in both relative and absolute terms.

I'm sure your "millionaire" thing does ring true - but in that case the Brexit voter has got what they want already - The Eton Toffs, are no longer in charge.
    My city the second biggest voted leave.....

If you look at the votes in most of the cities you will see that it's a couple of points either way if 50% and the only reason it was close was the overwhelming remain vote in London.

Look at the figures minus London and it's a landslide

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    My city the second biggest voted leave.....

If you look at the votes in most of the cities you will see that it's a couple of points either way if 50% and the only reason it was close was the overwhelming remain vote in London.

Look at the figures minus London and it's a landslide

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nonsense Glasgow (66%) , Edinburgh (74%), Liverpool (58%) , Manchester (60%) Bristol (66%), Cardiff (60%), Brighton (68%) all had large majority remain figures .

Successful urban centres with large numbers of EU migrants voted Remain.
    Failing urban cities and elderly market towns with few EU migrants voted Leave.

Remain voters are appalled because, they do not want to become failing cities like Leave cities.

Yes, if the leave vote came from Cities that were doing well , more people would be saying "OK give it a shot" - but its not like that, we are expected to follow the lead of cities that are failing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brijmohan3)
    Just like those who voted leave are of older generations who never leave their house and so are scared of any person who looks different to them.

Take away those people the racists and the uninformed, who only voted to leave because they feel they are the superior race, this would have been a far clearer win for remain than it seems for leave.

Most of the other leave swere either people who see one bad European, not bothered to understand the worldwide consequences of leaving the EU or were people who thought they were being funny.

Sorry,only just seen this.

1) For some reason everyone assumes that all racists would necessarily vote leave.
    Why?

Surely the main reason to vote remain was for financial reasons. Do people really think that racists don't care about money ?

Many racists will no doubt be home owners. I imagine most home owners voted remain.

For the sake of argument I will go along with the idea that say 65 % of racists voted leave.

But how many out and out racists do people think there actually are ffs ?
    Less than 5% of the population I'd say.

But even if someone is racist the huge mistake people make is in assuming that if there was no such thing as racism all these 65% of racists would somehow have definitely switched sides .

As if there were no other arguments or reasons whatsoever to vote leave.

2) The worldwide consequences of voting leave ?

Lol. It would take too long for me to reply to this point and I'd be ranting anyway so let's see now. Personally I don't think it's up to Joe Bloggs of Darlington to consider the possibility of worldwide consequences of his casting his tiny little vote one way or 't'other.

But if he did I'd expect Joe Bloggs to think ,"Well if our esteemed leader David Cameron ,who went to Oxford and Eton,thought it was fine to call a referendum,and if 10 million people who are mostly better educated then little old me all voted Tory at the last election in the full knowledge that should they win there'd be a referendum ,then there can't really be that much of a risk can there?

Because if there was it would imply that millions of so called 'well educated ' people in this country are in fact stupid, irresponsible ***** .

3) As for you comment about old people voting leave because they are "too scared to leave the house in case they see someone who looks different,I did you the favour of not taking it seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChargingStag)
    In the end we all want to go with whatever betters ourselves. You feel free movement has made you richer, I feel free movement is preventing me from being rich, so even if we don't think the same I would hope that there can be empathy in that context.

Oh and we do not want to be old? That sounds a bit suicide-y...
    And some of us do want little immigration so that's a bit of a one sided statement (as opposed to no one wanting to be poor or run down as you say).
    Lol, I'd love to know how.

ReputationRep:
    but I being richer, I feel, I do have more concrete knowledge as to what enabled me to be richer
    It is just a shame your wealth doesn't enable you to construct slightly less patronising but comprehensive sentenses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    It is just a shame your wealth doesn't enable you to construct slightly less patronising but comprehensive sentenses.
    I am slightly dyslexic I would have thought you would have noticed by now (I've been posting for about a year)... There is not much I can do about it. Most brexiters let it go (and thank you for that as it is a bit embarrassing, but as I say, there is not much i can do about it)...

I disagree about "patronising" - I think it would be patronising to pretend that I did not think like that. Being open and honest will not win me mates, but I would suggest that its the reverse of patronising, I am treating the other side honestly and openly.

ReputationRep:
    I am slightly dyslexic I would have thought you would have noticed by now (I've been posting for about a year)... There is not much I can do about it. Most brexiters let it go (and thank you for that as it is a bit embarrassing, but as I say, there is not much i can do about it)...

I disagree about "patronising" - I think it would be patronising to pretend that I did not think like that. Being open and honest will not win me mates, but I would suggest that its the reverse of patronising, I am treating the other side honestly and openly.
    I didn't know you were dyslexic. Why would I? I was taking umbridge to the fact you feel you are somehow intellectually superior to others because of your wealth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisuphos)
    Lol, I'd love to know how.
    I'm not a businessman nor do I work in any kind of tourism sector, being involved with other countries does not benefit me in any way at all. I do not plan nor want to go abroad to work. So all I can get from a free movement society is tougher competition in the job market and other such disadvantages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChargingStag)
    I'm not a businessman nor do I work in any kind of tourism sector, being involved with other countries does not benefit me in any way at all. I do not plan nor want to go abroad to work. So all I can get from a free movement society is tougher competition in the job market and other such disadvantages.
    It does even if you aren't involved.

First, regarding the job market, it is very unclear whether you face tough competition unless you're interested in low-paid, unglamorous **** jobs. That's where the demand for migrant labour comes from - predominantly. Seeing as you're on TSR, I very much doubt you do. Even if you were interested however, you would never become rich from being employed in jobs for low-skilled individuals who speak broken English. This is to rebutt the "I feel like migrants prevent me from becoming rich" talk.

Second, even disregarding the above, everyone benefits from paying less for consumer goods and services as a result of low labour costs. The less you pay for food delivery, groceries, plumbing services, etc the more disposable income you have to spend it elsewhere. I.e. you're literally richer.

Third, even at higher levels of the labour market, say academic research, you will benefit from skilled migrant labour. You get already educated, PhDs doing research in nanotech or biomed or whatever. It cost you, as a taxpayer, £0 to train these people - they were trained in France or Poland or wherever they came from. Homegrown PhDs costs you literally tens of thousands of pounds to "produce". These people also go on to aid in technological or artistic or other innovations which enrich our lives.

So there you go. At worst, migration results in a tiny reduction in the wages of high school dropouts (who're older migrants anyway) and a tiny increase in the real wages of everyone else (I explained how). There are ways to deal with the reduction other than banning immigration and cancelling all its positive effects.

But what you personally stand to lose from EU migration is really ... nothing. Maybe the cultural bit. If you don't like having people around who come from other EU countries, fine. I think in the end that's the strongest argument in your camp. But the so-called "economic" arguments are based on nothing more than hearsay, intuition and anecdote. No study has found substantial negative economic consequences as a result of EU migration.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.