Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worrying to be an ethnic minority in a sovereign Britain? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gora The Xplorer)
    More worrying is the fact that you seem to expect war with Pakistan.
    Of course not, i'm being hypothetical.

Would OP for example contact the police if one of his friends expressed a positive view about ISIS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamzahid)
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ority-poles-uk
    An interesting read- what is your take on this?
    Personally, I am a British individual with a Pakistani background, and have had a few occurrences where people have asked me if I wanted to go back home etc, without them realising that this is my home and will always will be.
    A few of my friends who came here to the UK from Europe have felt the same as well.
    I fear after reading articles like this, that having a sovereign Britain may result in a place of misunderstanding and fear towards certain communities.
    This is just my view, I would like to listen to others.
    unfortunatley mixed in with the brexit vote where the hardcore racists who have had this on their agenda for decades

the stupidity is however is that amoung the massive number of brexit voters in the north and midlands - vast amounts of pakistanis voting to leave eu. the moronic Muslims for Britain group actually campaigned alongside ukip there and im sure got loads of votes of british muslims. i think in general most non muslim asians and other ethnic group voted to remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Yeah. For every migrant Turkey accepts they get to send a Syrian into Europe, get some cash and get their membership application sped up.

It's an awful deal that allows the third world into Europe.
    Oh no. We are helping people who have had a really *****y life.
    The horror.
    Oh.
    Make out stop.
    Nooooo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by WhisperingTide)
    Oh no. We are helping people who have had a really *****y life.
    The horror.
    Oh.
    Make out stop.
    Nooooo.
    Politics should be about self interest over emotion.

ReputationRep:
    It's less important what religion people have but rather whether they put their nationality first. The problem with a lot of Muslims for example is that they are Muslim first and British second and express solidarity for other Muslims against western interests.

If OP would fight and die for Britain in a war against Pakistan then he has my approval.
    You sound dense!

ReputationRep:
    Imagine there was a referendum to deport everyone who can't trace back three generations to a parent born here? I feel like with the right campaign it could win lol. Make Britain safe again! Could be a nice tagline. This is the problem with democracy.

ReputationRep:
    Yea I agree with the article. Thankfully London isn't too bad but I get that feeling when I go up north.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99_Problems)
    Imagine there was a referendum to deport everyone who can't trace back three generations to a parent born here? I feel like with the right campaign it could win lol. Make Britain safe again! Could be a nice tagline. This is the problem with democracy.
    This isn't nazi Germany'

ReputationRep:
    Politics should be about self interest over emotion.
    Interest in the well being of the whole over the individual is why countries exist.

People who wouldn't help those in serious need in order to benefit their own relatively good lives are worthless, subhuman trash. *Shrug*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~scorpio~)
    Britain is far more tolerant and open about multi-faith and ethnic minorities than the EU and we should be grateful for that.
    Yeah, just look at TSR, so tolerant ...

But I know, the narrative here is allways: "I am non-white, thus I can't be intolerant or xenophobic or racist..." WAKE UP!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by WhisperingTide)
    Interest in the well being of the whole over the individual is why countries exist.

People who wouldn't help those in serious need in order to benefit their own relatively good lives are worthless, subhuman trash. *Shrug*
    Yes, but our own group of people.

I would help those Syrians in need by bringing order to their nation. Unfortunately, the public at large are content to sit back while Syrians slaughter each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulucoco98)
    This isn't nazi Germany'
    Do you think the German people woke up one day and thought hmm I'm going to fascist?

It was a mix of charismatic leadership and good PR. You just need to plant seeds here and there (rochdale sexual assaults, over-representation of black people in prison, pick pocketing Romanians) and have the face of someone respectable like Boris Johnson and I'm sure the campaign could win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99_Problems)
    Do you think the German people woke up one day and thought hmm I'm going to fascist?

It was a mix of charismatic leadership and good PR. You just need to plant seeds here and there (rochdale sexual assaults, over-representation of black people in prison, pick pocketing Romanians) and have the face of someone respectable like Boris Johnson and I'm sure the campaign could win.
    People can be quiet naive and vote emotionally which is the negative sides of referendums and Direct democracy. However, not every leave voter is racist and not everyone can be painted under the same brush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulucoco98)
    People can be quiet naive and vote emotionally which is the negative sides of referendums and Direct democracy. However, not every leave voter is racist and not everyone can be painted under the same brush.
    Where have I disagreed with that? Quite the opposite. It won't be racism fueling them like it wasn't racism now. It will be about safety, culture, security.

ReputationRep:
    Er no, continental Europe is vastly more racist than the UK, always has been.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people should worry, as people are very tolerant to people already here and not the asylum seekers/refugees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's less important what religion people have but rather whether they put their nationality first. The problem with a lot of Muslims for example is that they are Muslim first and British second and express solidarity for other Muslims against western interests.

If OP would fight and die for Britain in a war against Pakistan then he has my approval.
    I kind of get what you mean but your second point is ridiculous. Pretend your family left the UK and went to live in... idk... South Korea. You were born in South Korea and identified as South Korean but weren't actually of Korean descent. Now pretend there was a war against the UK? Would you really join?

For a lot of people with immigrant parents/family, British and x-culture are kind of in sync. You enjoy a good Friday fish and chips but you also really enjoy the food your parents cook. Deciding to fight and potentially murder what potentially could have been you is very hard decision to make. If I had to choose to go to war against the country my family came from, I would say no. Does that really make me less British?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    Yeah, just look at TSR, so tolerant ...

But I know, the narrative here is allways: "I am non-white, thus I can't be intolerant or xenophobic or racist..." WAKE UP!
    Last time I checked the UK hasn't banned any religious symbols and we have Muslim MPs. I'm a Muslim with liberal views and I feel comfortably practicing my religion here than back home. Tsr is like 0.00001% so not bothered really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~scorpio~)
    Last time I checked the UK hasn't banned any religious symbols and we have Muslim MPs. I'm a Muslim with liberal views and I feel comfortably practicing my religion here than back home. Tsr is like 0.00001% so not bothered really
    and yet the brexit vote was essentially , initiated by nigel farrage and his ukip goons, alongside groups like britain first, who all have plenty of dislike of muslims.

ReputationRep:
    OP, if you're British before you're Muslim then any true Briton would consider you one of us. Religion is irrelevant. We are all Britons and we must all work together as one united people. Of course, there's still idiots who'll say no Muslims are Britons, but there's idiots everywhere and they're just something we have to deal with.

One of my favorite poems sums it up perfectly. It's about a mythical battle between demons and gods in which the demons are defeated and their leader is brought before the king of the gods. The demon insults the king of the gods and the king's charioteer asks why the king doesn't retaliate or get offended. The following quote is from the king's response:

"It is indeed a fault for one
    Who returns anger for anger.
    Not giving anger for anger,
    One wins a double victory.

He behaves for the good of both:
    Himself and the other person.
    Knowing well the other's anger,
    He is mindful and remains calm."

What it means is that by not rising to their bait, you spare both your own feelings and theirs. If you retaliate it will only lead to more conflict as both of you will end up retaliating continuously and each time both of you will feel angrier than you did before. It's best to prevent this cycle of retaliation by not retaliating in the first place. It also means that you shouldn't let their insults bother you. Words are just words, they have no impact on anything but your feelings. They can't even impact those if you remain calm.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.