Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    London is a British city that belongs to the British people. If there was ever a London independence vote, the entire British population would be entitled to vote. Sorry but this is never going to happen.
    I think you'd be surprised how many want to see the back of London. :/

ReputationRep:
    I think London would be better of being independant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gora The Xplorer)
    That is the flag, the cross is the flag.
    There's also the sword. We keep the sword, replace the cross with something else - like leaving the UK. We keep the financial sector, and our close relationship with Europe but replace rest of England and Wales with something else.

London is a British city that belongs to the British people. If there was ever a London independence vote, the entire British population would be entitled to vote. Sorry but this is never going to happen.
    UK was a European country that belonged to the European people. We didn't give European people a vote did we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanderfeild)
    There's also the sword. We keep the sword, replace the cross with something else - like leaving the UK. We keep the financial sector, and our close relationship with Europe but replace rest of England and Wales with something else.
    Replace them with what?

ReputationRep:
    UK was a European country that belonged to the European people. We didn't give European people a vote did we?
    The UK did not 'belong' to European people or the EU. The sense that it did is why some people voted leave in fact. It's irrelevant anyway, London has and always will be the capital city of England and the UK. Only allowing people that reside in London to vote on London's independence would be completely irrational.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm from Sutton in London and everyone here feels more British than Londoner. Most of us don't really consider ourselves Londoners anyway- we are British.

ReputationRep:
    The UK did not 'belong' to European people or the EU. The sense that it did is why some people voted leave in fact. It's irrelevant anyway, London has and always will be the capital city of England and the UK. Only allowing people that reside in London to vote on London's independence would be completely irrational.
    Are you a Londoner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Do y'all want to be independent from the rest of the U.K.? If so,what would our flag look like

I just think this beautiful city is different from the rest of the U.K. And most of these non Londoners don't seem to like us,I don't know why London is full of fun
    I AGREE. Sadiq khan should become our president in the new republic of London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Are you a Londoner?
    Nope.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yes please. Brighton, Oxford and Cambridge can be satellite cities.

ReputationRep:
    I love London, the feeling of moving somewhere else when i am older for work saddens me

ReputationRep:
    Replace them with what?
    Maybe a star and crescent?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a star and crescent?
    Nope! Think again

Amusing how the rest of the country is bossing around its Capital...

ReputationRep:
    Our flag needs to represent:
    Our london slang
    Westfields
    3 wings with chips
    Grime music

ReputationRep:
    Replace them with what?
    Independence followed by EU membership, union with Scotland followed by EU membership,or maybe join Netherlands (they've pretty liberal and open minded government) and get EU membership.
    First preference to independence though: Cyber Kingdom of Great London.

How does UK belong less to Europe than London belongs to UK? A region belongs to its inhabitants, not to a greater power simply because it has done so in the past.
    FIY: London has not always been capital city of England, that used to be Winchester.

ReputationRep:
    How does UK belong less to Europe than London belongs to UK? A region belongs to its inhabitants, not to a greater power simply because it has done so in the past.
    FIY: London has not always been capital city of England, that used to be Winchester.
    Because the UK is still a sovereign state even as a member of the EU (that's debatable though).

Fine then, London was the first officially recognised capital of England (I think). It's also irrelevant, London is still an English/British city.

ReputationRep:
    I just think this beautiful city is different from the rest of the U.K
    Immigrants are not going to destroy 1,000 years of history, with London as the capital of England. No ****ing chance. Sorry love x

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    This thread is for Londoners only. Get out.

ReputationRep:
    Because the UK is still a sovereign state even as a member of the EU (that's debatable though).
    Fine then, London was the first officially recognised capital of England (I think). It's also irrelevant, London is still an English/British city.
    Firstly no sovereignty of UK in EU was never debatable, EU was never an external entity - its executives were appointed by, and elected by British people and government.
    Regardless that is irrelevant, all non-national referendums are as they relate to a non-sovereign en titty, in case of independence referendums a non sovereign entity wanting to be sovereign one. We don't let people who don't live within confines of that entity vote in those referendums or they'd be entirely pointless and silly. In Irish or Scottish referendum, should rest of UK have had a vote?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.