Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you buy old people, in terms of gifts? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    Right, birthday coming up and I'll be gettin' a "substantial" around of money from my grandparents. Mum has told me to buy them something nice to thank them.

Well the problem is I have no Idea what to get them... I've never seen my grandma wear jewellery, so that's out of the question. I don't think chocolates are going to cut it, which is a shame really since they're the only two gifts I can think of.

What do old people like as gifts? What would you buy for your grandparents as a gift?

I'd prefer to spend around £500 between both of them.
    On mothers day, we get our nanas gifts and my grandpa as well so he doesn't feel left out. Last time, we picked out a wider brand new tv for their room and electronic kitchen supplies, she's crazy over them. Maybe that helps you somehow. :dontknow: Good luck.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    I mean, it's a really nice fob watch. I think I just want an excuse to buy it tbh.

But I like the sound of baking a cake for them, I might actually do that, thanks!
    I can't really take them out since both of them aren't in the best of condition per-se.
    Just to be clear - is it your birthday coming up? And your grandparents are going to give you a "substantial" amount of money?

Why would they want you to spend any of it on them? Seriously?

Do something nice with them, or for them. Go round, say thank you, and maybe have a chat about what you might spend it on (or if it's really substantial, invest it in...).

But don't buy "stuff" that you don't even know they will like.

ReputationRep:
    So you get money for your birthday. But you'll spend the money they gave you to purchase gifts for them. Bizarre!

Why don't you spend a day with them instead then take them out for a meal or for tea/cakes or whatever it is old people like to do. I'm sure they'll appreciate your company more (?).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they've given you the money because they want you to spend it on yourself. Buying something expensive for them would likely not have the desired effect, and perhaps the opposite. Do something heartfelt, rather than spend their own money back on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A321)
    So you get money for your birthday. But you'll spend the money they gave you to purchase gifts for them. Bizarre!

Why don't you spend a day with them instead then take them out for a meal or for tea/cakes or whatever it is old people like to do. I'm sure they'll appreciate your company more (?).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, a lot of other people are saying this as well. I'm thinking about baking a cake for them now. But the buying them a gift is sort of like a "the least I could do" thing.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.