x Turn on thread page Beta

Prime Minister's Questions – 25 Jun 2016 watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Just sunbathing, eh?
    I won't waste one of my questions by asking if you know what an immigrant is, though it appears that you don't. Immigrants are people who've moved to Britain to live - regardless of ethnicity. The proportion of Londoners who are immigrants is not 60%.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Just sunbathing, eh?
    The capital also had both the largest proportion of residents born outside the UK (37%) and non-UK nationals (24%.)
    from your article... Only ~40% immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I won't waste one of my questions by asking if you know what an immigrant is, though it appears that you don't. Immigrants are people who've moved to Britain to live - regardless of ethnicity. The proportion of Londoners who are immigrants is not 60%.
    I wasn't being entirely serious. The point is that London is a hub of multiculturalism and it's not surprising they want to stick with the EU.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I wasn't being entirely serious. The point is that London is a hub of multiculturalism and it's not surprising they want to stick with the EU.
    Sounds like casual racism to me. London is also a financial hub and has the highest concentration of wealth.

In fact in my experience a great deal of immigrants (typically from non-EU countries) and their descendants have been extremely sympathetic to Brexit due to the argument that the EU gives prioritisation to white European immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    Does it concern the Prime Minister Life_peer that the rise of the far right and the validation of their opinions by self-interested politicians has led to the normalisation of racism on the streets of Britain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Does it concern the Prime Minister Life_peer that the rise of the far right and the validation of their opinions by self-interested politicians has led to the normalisation of racism on the streets of Britain?
    This has become the new Godwin's law, linking every opinion you disagree with to racism, xenophobia, bigotry, and far-right is the problem, not individuals having opinions. If you start to vilify individuals who have opinions, those opinions become blunter, more irrational, and start leading to racism over time when the individuals feel their opinions are being ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    This has become the new Godwin's law, linking every opinion you disagree with to racism, xenophobia, bigotry, and far-right is the problem, not individuals having opinions. If you start to vilify individuals who have opinions, those opinions become blunter, more irrational, and start leading to racism over time when the individuals feel their opinions are being ignored.
    I'm not linking opinions to racism, I'm talking about witnessing multiple instances of outright and shameless racist and xenophobic abuse from complete strangers towards people I have been with over the last few days. And from talking to others, it's clear to see I'm not the only person noticing this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    I'm not linking opinions to racism, I'm talking about witnessing multiple instances of outright and shameless racist and xenophobic abuse from complete strangers towards people I have been with over the last few days. And from talking to others, it's clear to see I'm not the only person noticing this.
    Care to share those in detail so that everyone can make their own decision?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Should most of this not be in the bar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Care to share those in detail so that everyone can make their own decision?
    no
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    no
    Well, I must say I'm convinced :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    no
    Then I'm definitely not going to take your word for it and skip your question. :laugh: I'm also guessing it was comparable to ‘rape’ from the rabid feminist standpoint: “He looked at my cleavage!”
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Mr Speaker, as the House awaits an answer to my first question I'll move on speedily to the next one.

Though the government has been practically absent in terms of legislative proposals there is one bill that they put forward and passed - B988. This bill achieved an impressive 37 Ayes, drawing support from all sides of the House. Despite this being one of the few achievements of this government, the Prime Minister could not even bring himself to vote in favour of it. In light of this, could the Prime Minister tell us if his government is going to put forward any more excellent bills that he himself disagrees with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Mr Speaker,

As the right honourable Prime Minister Life_peer will of course be aware, he has recently survived a VoNC: especially given that the exam period is nearing its end, is he willing to divulge details of his plan of action for sustaining the recent and commendable increase in government activity to ensure that he doesn't face another one later in the term?
    My plan for the evening is to review all currently active items and drafts waiting to be submitted since I've just come from a four-day conference which made me less engaged than I had hoped. Then, in the coming days, I shall speak to each SoS individually in order to encourage them to release an SoI/review by the end of June.

Mr Speaker, the Conservative Party was elected on a very modest platform - making their lack of success so far all the more bewildering. They seem to be letting UKIP MPs put forward privately what one would imagine they'd be yearning to push forward themselves. Thus, my question is not one of Conservative policy but of coalition policy - for surely the Prime Minister has turned to his capable colleagues to fill in the gaps of his policy platform.

With the TSR Liberal Party promising to reduce university tuition fees to £6000 and the current TSR National Liberal leader having campaigned in the last MHoC by-election on a pledge to cap tuition fees at £3000 will the Prime Minister be respecting the wishes of his colleagues and supporting some form of tuition fee reduction?
    The NLP is out so that's irrelevant now and I think we've already stated publicly that we're in support of lowering tuition fees for STEM degrees, hence the answer is mostly yes.

(Original post by PetrosAC)
    Number One, Mr Speaker (seriously, how has no one done this yet? )

Mr Speaker,

Does my Right Honourable friend agree with me that Prison Reform towards rehabilitation and away from punishment for minor crimes is necessary to reduce re-offending rates and to ensure we have more people contributing positively to our society?
    I've just done a well-deserved number two, if that's okay. :smug:

Yes, I do agree that punishment alone isn't likely to produce a positive effect in the long run, which is supported by data from countries like Norway. Although I am in support of heavy punishments when appropriate, I think sentencing and the subsequent prison time should be reformed.

Mr Speaker, as the House awaits an answer to my first question I'll move on speedily to the next one.

Though the government has been practically absent in terms of legislative proposals there is one bill that they put forward and passed - B988. This bill achieved an impressive 37 Ayes, drawing support from all sides of the House. Despite this being one of the few achievements of this government, the Prime Minister could not even bring himself to vote in favour of it. In light of this, could the Prime Minister tell us if his government is going to put forward any more excellent bills that he himself disagrees with?
    I obviously can't predict the future…

With regard to the said bill, if it had depended on my support, I would have voted aye. Since it was going to pass safely, I informed the rest of the government and chose to follow conscience, just as many before me.

ReputationRep:
    My plan for the evening is to review all currently active items and drafts waiting to be submitted since I've just come from a four-day conference which made me less engaged than I had hoped. Then, in the coming days, I shall speak to each SoS individually in order to encourage them to release an SoI/review by the end of June.
    I can only commend the Prime Minister for his apparent desire to resolve the issues raised in the VoNC, and hope that this bears results.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This session of questions has ended.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.