Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Brexit Leaders Back Away From Migration Promises After Victory" Watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    TheonlyMrsHolmes jneill Plantagenet Crown Fiduciam twin peaks @PilgrimOfTruth @Fullofsurprises Kadak and even Audrey18

Guys and girls, I'm so sorry for bothering you through this tag along and bringing up the referendum again as I'm sure a lot of people are tired of talking on the issue since what is done is done however after reading these few articles out of many, I became enraged again and wanted to ask is there anything we can do as a country to reverse this? After reading your individual comments on the matter, I was moved to tag you along to know your opinions as you seem to genuinely care. Even you Audrey, though we may not agree or have the same opinions.
    One possible solution is to have a snap GE with a new party standing on a Remain platform. A bit like the wartime coalition.

It would be extremely difficult to do, but if that party won a GE it would be able to overide the referendum (which by the way, has no legal standing - it's only advisory).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Lol stupid thread. No one in their right mind would think immigration would stop. Do you know what immigration means?
    You're not understanding something. I guess you didn't understand what I had stated. I edited my previous post to mention your comment so you could see people did desire for ALL immigration to stop- ALL immigration! There have been petitions in the past to stop immigration, all immigration because people believed it was why terrorism existed in Britain, why British citizens couldn't find jobs that stopping all immigration would keep us safe and better off with better jobs. This is nothing new. You may think, well that was last year but you need to understand that these same people who signed those petitions are the same people who were entitled to vote in the referendum. The number of people who believed thus certainly skyrocketed after more terrorist, tragic events too place such as the Paris shootings with some correlating the event to immigration. And again, that's not the point. People genuinely thought immigration would decrease not being under "control". It's not the same thing. The whole job excuses and rape statistics I constantly saw...these reasons will still be used even after Brexit because current immigrants are here to stay and will not be deported:

"Journalist Ciaran Jenkins asks him: 'Do you think you voted to leave the EU to stop Muslims coming to the country? The man replies: 'To stop immigration. The movement of people in Europe, fair enough but not from Africa, Syria, Iraq or anywhere else."
    Here's another person. Though he did not mind having immigrants from the listed countries where there is mainly war and hardship, he voted to stop EU immigrants from entering Britain. How that would have worked where EU citizens are banned and only citizens of third world countries are allowed I have no clue.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...5lyr770ilwstt9

"Daniel Hannan, Conservative, made the admission to BBC Newsnight presenter Evan Davis, who said the free movement of labour was ‘completely at odds with what the public think they’ve just voted for".
    Though the leave campaign may have made no such claim- many of the public thought otherwise. Many thought Brexit would reduce immigration and even stop immigrants. They misunderstood what the leave campaign stood for:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/25/brexit...igner-5966910/

ReputationRep:
    Oh yea, Article 50. So nothing is set until Article 50 is issued, it is only then everything will be official? Ah, I understand now but I don't they would ignore the public's winning opinion concerning leaving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    One possible solution is to have a snap GE with a new party standing on a Remain platform. A bit like the wartime coalition.

It would be extremely difficult to do, but if that party won a GE it would be able to overide the referendum (which by the way, has no legal standing - it's only advisory).
    I see. Though the referendum is only advisory, I feel that if it was ignored maybe the people who wanted to leave especially would go nuts- stating how undemocratic our government is and hell breaking loose so I'm now digesting/learning to accept the decision of leaving. But thank you for explaining this x

ReputationRep:

Oh yea, I wanted to tell you did you know the petition about a second referendum
    was started by a leave campaigner concerned remain would win? So those saying that we were are cry babies, we should just accept defeat and forget making a petition- it wasn't even a campaigner who voted to remain but a leave campaigner. He didn't think his own petition would be used against his decision, currently backfiring because many believed the remain side would win. But I thank him for making it as of now over 3 million people have signed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7104076.html

ReputationRep:

I did think this. However, Labour are so ineffectual, that I cannot see them coming close to winning.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Oh yea, I wanted to tell you did you know the petition about a second referendum
    was started by a leave campaigner concerned remain would win? So those saying that we were are cry babies, we should just accept defeat and forget making a petition- it wasn't even a campaigner who voted to remain but a leave campaigner. He didn't think his own petition would be used against his decision, currently backfiring because many believed the remain side would win. But I thank him for making it as of now over 3 million people have signed.
    Yep - I saw someone posted about it on my original thread

It's not surprising (but it's highly amusing) especially given Farage had stated pre-vote he'd call for a 2nd Referendum if he lost a close vote.

(Original post by 0to100)
    Lol stupid thread. No one in their right mind would think immigration would stop. Do you know what immigration means? It's naturalising/getting citizenship... Not migration. The issue is uncontrolled migration. Now people were thinking: if Uk breaks from EU then there would be less "free movement" because now they'd need passports, VISAs that can be pricey, etc. So this would probably mean less ignored migrants coming willy nilly, which was the main goal. but that made some people think it'll increase illegal immigration if they can't afford coming or whatever, though there's already been illegal immigration lol
    UK doesn't need cheap foreign labour from Romania or Bulgaria because the influx of the migrants from there have compressed British wages. Also, UK doesn't need any more people to come to UK and form grooming gangs which target vulnerable girls by plying plying them with presents, alcohol, drugs and then sexually molesting them, abusing them, making them perform vile sexual acts, forcing them to prostitute themselves which translates to living off these girls via immoral earnings and in some case, murdering these girls.

You don't have to travel the length and breath of UK to ask them why they want to come to UK. Just chat with some of the people of this forum. I have. and forum members from EU countries have told me that
    • UK government is too good to offer generous welfare benefits
    • NHS and education is free right up to sixth form
    • University tuition loan system is silly cos they can choose not to pay it back and nothing will happen to them
    • council homes will be allocated to them
    • the borders are useless cos they have brought in many of their family members and hope to bring many more to join them in enjoying the good life in UK, to the detriment of the ever-obliging British taxpayer
    • British judges are very soft-hearted so these migrants play up the soft card by citing the Human Riights act as and when it suits them
    • and so many other reasons

(Original post by JordanL_)
    Seems like all the search results are about corruption in EU countries and nothing to do with the EU itself. Maybe you could give some specifics? You've obviously seen a source, since you're so sure that it's corrupt?

There's a famous chinese saying. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

http://www.transparencyinternational...tegrity-study/
    http://www.transparency.org/news/pre...uropean_instit
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26014387
    http://ec.europa.eu/anti-fraud//home_en
    http://transparencyschool.org/wp-con...stitutions.pdf
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/bu...nion.html?_r=0
    http://www.politico.eu/article/eu-in...to-corruption/
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    There's a famous chinese saying. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
    Chinese?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink
    When It Originated: 1175
    One of the oldest aphorisms in English, this adage was first recorded in the Old English Homilies: “Hwa is thet mei thet hors wettrien the him self nule drinken.”
    A modern version appeared in the 1602 play Narcissus: “They can but bringe horse to the water brinke / But horse may choose whether that horse will drinke.”

Chinese?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink
    When It Originated: 1175
    One of the oldest aphorisms in English, this adage was first recorded in the Old English Homilies: “Hwa is thet mei thet hors wettrien the him self nule drinken.”
    A modern version appeared in the 1602 play Narcissus: “They can but bringe horse to the water brinke / But horse may choose whether that horse will drinke.”
    Ah, you again.

Let me put it to you this way. Your interpretation is as valid as mine.

I provided several sources to back up my claims, in reply to another uninformed forum member. But instead of crediting me for my effort, you chose to nitpick on the source of a saying? :congrats:

Returning to Brexit, you and several others like you were wrong about the outcome. Live with it. The people have spoken. Respect it. You may have been 'suffering' as a result of the decision. Get over it.

UK is not a charity for the rest of the world to drop in, use its resources for free while the ever-obliging British taxpayer has to obediently foot the bill. The duty of any democratic government is to its people, first and foremost.

With Brexit, the days are numbered where any Tom, **** and Harry can enter UK
    • without being checked if they are holding genuine passports
    • without being checked if they have links to terrorist groups
    • without being checked if they have criminal records in their home countries
    • without being checked if they have HIV/AIDS
    I suggest you reply to me only when you have something of substance to add on, to this otherwise healthy discussion.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    Ah, you again.
    You've said all this many times previously. I have nothing to add.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.