Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any remain voters wish they had voted leave instead? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    Any reasons to back up this mysterious confidence?
    Its not confidence.. its optimism, and no, but i dont think that it'll stay like this forever, everything will stabalise soon
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tamanna___)
    Its not confidence.. its optimism, and no, but i dont think that it'll stay like this forever, everything will stabalise soon
    Yeah that's what I thought. The world doesn't run on optimism, it runs on economics. Our economy has been strong and the pound has been strong in the past for lots of factual reasons. If you look at the facts of what the fall-out will be for us economically, you can still be optimistic about it if you'd like, but it is extremely unlikely that we are going to thrive as we did before in both the short term but also actually the medium and long term. I could list them if you'd like.

IMO people have no idea what they actually voted for this country to do to itself and are living in some weird "it'll be alright" parallel reality with no actual understanding.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I thought. The world doesn't run on optimism, it runs on economics. Our economy has been strong and the pound has been strong in the past for lots of factual reasons. If you look at the facts of what the fall-out will be for us economically, you can still be optimistic about it if you'd like, but it is extremely unlikely that we are going to thrive as we did before in both the short term but also actually the medium and long term. I could list them if you'd like.

IMO people have no idea what they actually voted for this country to do to itself and are living in some weird "it'll be alright" parallel reality.
    This is correct, optimism has far less role in the real economy than is generally supposed - all that matters are the decisions of investors and consumers and those mainly go on the facts on the ground.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    This is correct, optimism has far less role in the real economy than is generally supposed - all that matters are the decisions of investors and consumers and those mainly go on the facts on the ground.
    Besides which, that assumes that all of economics is to do with stocks, shares and investment.

Science, technology, industry, banking and finance are where we make a lot of our money, are real-life things employing people and doing research on the ground. Those were highly dependent on the EU and I have no idea where the money is going to come from now it's gone, and given that the UK now has very little money. And we were living in an age of austerity anyway. So even before we devalued our economy and currency, we still had very little money. Basically you'd have to be very optimistic to not consider that we have just basically punched ourselves in the face with this decision.

ReputationRep:

IMO people have no idea what they actually voted for this country to do to itself and are living in some weird "it'll be alright" parallel reality with no actual understanding.

I get what your saying and its somewhat true, but do you expect a second referendum to fix it?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tamanna___)
    I get what your saying and its somewhat true, but do you expect a second referendum to fix it?
    http://www.economist.com/news/financ...ent-why-brexit

Just for interest (if you are interested), that article sums things up fairly well.

And I don't know about a second referendum. If we did have one, it would by the definition of referenda be undemocratic - a decision has been made, even if I think it is a horrifically bad decision that will have a really negative impact on my life.

However if there were a second referendum, I think the vote would swing the other way. A lot of people for super weird reasons I don't understand voted "Leave" without actually thinking we would leave (head..desk...). A lot of people are only just reading what it really means for us as a country now AFTER they cast their vote. A lot of people who stayed at home and assumed we'd safely Remain are now I hope kicking themselves, but it's too late.

I would desperately like a second referendum because I don't want my future to be bleak. I think we've done a very, very bad thing. On the other hand I believe in democracy and the power of a referendum. But if a vote would swing the opposite way almost a day or two after the original vote though - is that not kind of confused as regards democracy?

Honestly I have no position on a second referendum as I think either outcome is bad. One would invalidate the concept of a referendum, the other is hugely damaging to our future as a country and by corollary, my future and the kind of life I wanted to live. I've already spent most of my adult life living in recession, extending it and making it deeper is repellant. Ideally I'd turn back time and somehow (god knows how) try to make people better informed before we did this stupid thing.

What are your thoughts on it?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.economist.com/news/financ...ent-why-brexit

Just for interest (if you are interested), that article sums things up fairly well.

And I don't know about a second referendum. If we did have one, it would by the definition of referenda be undemocratic - a decision has been made, even if I think it is a horrifically bad decision that will have a really negative impact on my life.

However if there were a second referendum, I think the vote would swing the other way. A lot of people for super weird reasons I don't understand voted "Leave" without actually thinking we would leave (head..desk...). A lot of people are only just reading what it really means for us as a country now AFTER they cast their vote. A lot of people who stayed at home and assumed we'd safely Remain are now I hope kicking themselves, but it's too late.

I would desperately like a second referendum because I don't want my future to be bleak. I think we've done a very, very bad thing. On the other hand I believe in democracy and the power of a referendum. But if a vote would swing the opposite way almost a day or two after the original vote though - is that not kind of confused as regards democracy?

Honestly I have no position on a second referendum as I think either outcome is bad. One would invalidate the concept of a referendum, the other is hugely damaging to our future as a country and by corollary, my future and the kind of life I wanted to live. I've already spent most of my adult life living in recession, extending it and making it deeper is repellant. Ideally I'd turn back time and somehow (god knows how) try to make people better informed before we did this stupid thing.

What are your thoughts on it?
    I agree with you on this, i dont think people researched or understood the consequences of both sides before voting, and yep, alot of people didnt vote thinking we would remain. My say on that matter is that they have just ignored a right people fought to get for them..

Also, i agree with your opinions on the referendum, although im still not sure. But it is true that if we do have a second referendum, it kind of defies the laws of a democracy

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'd vote Remain again in a heartbeat.

ReputationRep:
    Nigel Farage has broken one of his promises after just one day. We lost over £100 billion off the FTSE. True, no jobs have been lost yet, but we haven't left the EU yet. It is on BoJo the clown and his merry men to pave the streets with gold as they promised and to personally spit in the face of everyone waiting at Border Control.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
    There is so much more that youngsters aren't being told and that they should know about. The UK WILL come through this. We WILL cast away all the bureaucratic and subversive chains that have tried to destroy this country and its people and way of life. We will do that for the country, for those who gave their lives for the country and for the future prosperity of your generation and for your children.
    I don't usually like to reply with "utter codswallop" because I prefer to refute arguments but honestly the whole of the above reads like a confused conspiracy theory. The UK has been benefitting from international trade for a long time now, we are richer for it, and equally we get a lot of our wealth by selling our services out of the country. Why it is any kind of win to stop buying things from other countries when it is completely uneconomic, will make us poorer and reduce the quality of goods and lifestyle for all British people, is completely beyond me. You'll have to explain why that is beneficial.

You assertions about science and research are completely missing the mark. I happen to have some experience of this field and I can tell you a HUGE number of research grants are from the European Union. Collaborative EU projects such as the Large Hadron Collider, pan-EU clinical trials for new drugs and so on have been of incredible benefit to us in terms of bringing us money, bringing us investment and thereby allowing our Universities and academic life to flourish. Where else do new discoveries come from? New drugs? New treatments for medical conditions? The UK gets a hell of a lot of money from developing new technologies and the seed money is largely European.

We also get great benefit from having large pharmaceutical companies here, whatever drivel you seem to be spouting about them. They are large employers bringing the UK a lot of money, they want to be here because of the research and University institutions that we have (as I said, largely funded by EU £££). T

They have not been "screwed for 5 years", re-structuring of a single business is hardly the collapse of a huge sector that the UK is economically very reliant on. You have seemingly very poor understanding on this point.

I for one do not want fracking to occur and do not think the UK is going to somehow replace its huge financial, science and technology industries by fracking under my house. I'd rather have a lot to do with the first kind of society and nothing to do with the second, myself. The UK is well-regarded as a home of science, technology and innovation. Why on earth you think that can be replaced by attempting to frack for shale gas, a limited and increasingly less revenue-generating industry, is frankly crazy. Much as I'd love to continue pumping out fossil fuel fumes...

ReputationRep:
    No. Seeing the mentality and views expressed by leave supporters in the last couple of days has only solidified my opinion that remain was the best option.

ReputationRep:
    I've only heard leave voters either regretting they voted remain, voted leave because they "didn't want remain to win big", or realising that voting leave isn't actually going to solve any of the issues that made them vote leave in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    PRSOM but dont be fooled.. there will be short term shock worldwide for the next couple of years
    I know that but it'll be worth it in the long run.

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    So far I've only heard from Leavers wishing they'd voted Remain.

A lot of Leave voters feel that they were conned and that is going to come back against Farage, Johnson and Gove as the economy nosedives.
    Incorrect. Only 1% of leavers surveyed are unhappy with the result whereas 4% of those who wanted to remain are happy.

Source: Britain Elects poll.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.