Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    The Labour Party can forget getting my vote if they proceed with this petulant nonsense. Blaming Corbyn for a mess entirely of David Cameron's making is utterly ridiculous but it won't stop these MPs from going on with it until a Blairite is restored to the top.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Benn just explicitly stated that he didn't blame Corbyn for the result. It is more a matter of his pathetic performance being the final straw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenice)
    Benn just explicitly stated that he didn't blame Corbyn for the result. It is more a matter of his pathetic performance being the final straw.
    What pathetic performance? Considering that he is clearly a Eurosceptic himself he made the best case he could under the circumstances. I have not forgotten Benn's standing ovation from the Tories, I will not shed a tear for his departure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Diane Abbot will be replacing Benn.

That's like replacing Obama with a teletubbe.

ReputationRep:
    If labour has people like her in the party why do only crummy candidates like Andy Burnham ever stand for leadership

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    What about Jo Cox as leader? :emo:

If labour has people like her in the party why do only crummy candidates like Andy Burnham ever stand for leadership
    If Caroline Lucas could be persuaded to defect she would make a fantastic leader with broad appeal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What I don't really understand here is that Corbyn supposedly has buckets of support from the grassroots. Yet the grassroots just voted to leave the EU and are for the most part very much anti-immigration. Or at least Labour's core vote is at any rate. This seems an odd position given Corbyn's support for unlimited immigration.

ReputationRep:
    If Caroline Lucas could be persuaded to defect she would make a fantastic leader with broad appeal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Policy wise on economics I want Corbyn as leader. It is just it is very hard to see how he is doing a good job. :-/

Yes he has everything against him, a PLP that doesn't want to cooperate even if he was in a good chance of winning an election. Yes the media hates him, but you still have to deal with that. You need some kind of strategy instead of just being angry about it and hoping it will go away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    What I don't really understand here is that Corbyn supposedly has buckets of support from the grassroots. Yet the grassroots just voted to leave the EU and are for the most part very much anti-immigration. Or at least Labour's core vote is at any rate. This seems an odd position given Corbyn's support for unlimited immigration.
    I don't think that is the case for the Momentum lot.

ReputationRep:
    The Chilcot report is due to be published on 6th July.

Will it even make the Ten O'Clock News?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I don't think that is the case for the Momentum lot.
    Then surely Labour need to be taking a firm look at their leadership and entire policy platform. How can these members not see that they are alienating their own voters. Or do Momentum think they represent the country?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Ugh, I'm conflicted. I'm not impressed with how Jeremy Corbyn has handled this referendum but this is a terrible time for there to be a Labour leadership crisis, particularly since I don't trust Labour to put a New Labour politician in charge. If this would be a simple matter of replacing Corbyn with someone who the public might be a bit more amiable towards then I'd agree, but I don't think that's going to happen...

ReputationRep:
    Surely Corbyn's supposed euro scepticism should be an asset now? (If Corbyn was capable of make anything an asset ) It certainly makes him more in line with the country. Surely the Labour Party would like a Lexit rather than a Boris/Gove/Farage/BNP brexit?

(Original post by Aj12)
    Then surely Labour need to be taking a firm look at their leadership and entire policy platform. How can these members not see that they are alienating their own voters. Or do Momentum think they represent the country?
    Sure. But I would say that the momentum faction are much better placed and more likely to offer to something to all the disenfranchised labour voters who have been loosing out to globalisation and the dissapreacne of traditional working class industries as that part of the left is hostile to neoliberalism and is willing to be economically left wing. Even if that meant reducing aspects of immigration that are harming precarious working class people. Compare that to the Third Way wing of the labour party. I can't ever see them supporting a reduction in immigration in anyway. To do so goes against their ideology. They are a spent force unless they reinvent themselves (something I can;t see them doing).

I can see how there are problems with the Corbyn leadership but what are the alternatives from the "blairites?

Basically you should be aiming your question at those who want a couq against Corbyn as well.

ReputationRep:
    2 resignations within last 10 minutes and Murray to resign also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The Chilcot report is due to be published on 6th July.

Will it even make the Ten O'Clock News?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archi...aq-war-stupid/

"
    It is only a fortnight away, and though its form will be concealed by thick layers of establishment whitewash, the basic contours of Blair’s lies will still be visible beneath. Corbyn had deferred to Blairite pressure not to apologise on behalf of the Labour Party for the Iraq War until Chilcot is published.For the Labour Right, the moment when Corbyn as Labour leader stands up in parliament and condemns Blair over Iraq, is going to be as traumatic as it was for the hardliners of the Soviet Communist Party when Khruschev denounced the crimes of Stalin. It would also destroy Blair’s carefully planned post-Chilcot PR strategy.

It is essential to the Blairites that when Chilcot is debated in parliament in two weeks time, Jeremy Corbyn is not in place as Labour leader to speak in the debate. The Blairite plan is therefore for the parliamentary party to depose him as parliamentary leader and get speaker John Bercow to acknowledge someone else in that fictional position in time for the Chilcot debate, with Corbyn remaining leader in the country but with no parliamentary status.
    "

Ok... so once Corbyn has apologises for the Irag war on behalf of the labour party. Then I may support getting rid of him.

:beard:

ReputationRep:
    Policy wise on economics I want Corbyn as leader. It is just it is very hard to see how he is doing a good job. :-/

Yes he has everything against him, a PLP that doesn't want to cooperate even if he was in a good chance of winning an election. Yes the media hates him, but you still have to deal with that. You need some kind of strategy instead of just being angry about it and hoping it will go away.
    Plastic centrist Ed Miliband was destroyed at the ballot box. I voted for Corbyn because I wanted Labour to distinguish itself from the Tories and to stop apologising for not falling in line with the Murdoch media message.

The party has time now to really think about what stances to take and how to brand itself. Instead of that we have upset Blairites and centrists wanting to install another plastic candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    ~95% of Labour MPs support the same. And indeed, they're much more pro-EU than Corbyn.

ReputationRep:

My view is that there is now a period of time for Labour to think hard about the policy positions they want to adopt, get behind them, and make them abundantly clear to the public. Get a common consensus on immigration first and foremost so that traditional voters are clear that the party is with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    As a supporter of Jeremy Corbyn (or more to the point, John McDonnell), I think this could end up being a good thing for him in the long run. When he wins the leadership election once again, it will really put the 'moderates' in their place and allow him to put his foot down a bit more with the dissenters.
    Nah. The moderates have made clear they will take him down even if it takes another three leadership elections.

Each time it takes something out of him, each time it's harder for him to come back from it and have authority within the party.

It's also laughable for hard leftists to start shrieking about Blairites. No Blairites agreed to serve in his shadow cabinet, these are the people he appointed and they don't have confidence in him

ReputationRep:
    Plastic centrist Ed Miliband was destroyed at the ballot box. I voted for Corbyn because I wanted Labour to distinguish itself from the Tories and to stop apologising for not falling in line with the Murdoch media message.
    :lol: You don't actually know that much about Ed Miliband's policy positions, do you?

ReputationRep:
    Make your voices heard Labour moderates and share!

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...abour-leader-1

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.