Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sturgeon says Scotland could try to block UK withdrawal from the EU Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edmund Monfort)
    And the majority voted to remain, so maybe you're the one who needs to face reality! Why is it fine for Brexiters to say "respect our decision, the people have spoken" when they won by a margin of only 4%, but OK to try and ignore or belittle Scotland's decision to remain, which won by a far greater margin? Lol at that hypocrisy.
    Sturgeon is acting like no one in Scotland wants to leave, people look at that map thing and think all of Scotland voted remain. She is all about independant Scotland, it's basically her only interest so she's willing to push whatever narrative it takes to create a divide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Not being funny but she's a darn sight better leader for her people than any leader getting a look in on leading the UK including the now shafted David Cameron. She's a tough little cookie.
    Annoyingly so. The SNP can say and do just about anything so long as there's no effective opposition up here. But everyone knows their only real policy is independence, everything else is just a means to an end.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    She might actually have the constitutional power to do just that according to the House of Lords.
    I think that she'll use this threat to get a second referendum from the next PM.

ReputationRep:
    Only someone who is literally insane would think that all voting Scots chose Remain. But as the Brexiters never tire of telling us, it's majority rules and democracy must be respected. So if the Scottish people call for a referendum on independence then they will get it. If the Scots don't want it then Nicola Sturgeon's plans for it will soon be silenced, but it doesn't seem to be going that way.
    She wanted a referendum regardless of the EU vote, and obviously I think it's their choice to have a referendum and I respect any decision they take. But I think the media and Sturgeon are exaggerating the situation to make it seem like leaving the EU will cause Scotland to leave the UK because an overwhelming majority voted remain.

and I don't think the majority is that overwhelming

ReputationRep:
    Only someone who is literally insane would think that all voting Scots chose Remain. But as the Brexiters never tire of telling us, it's majority rules and democracy that must be respected. So if the Scottish people call for a referendum on independence then they will get it. If the Scots don't want it then Nicola Sturgeon's plans for it will soon be silenced, but it doesn't seem to be going that way.
    It was only a majority in Scotland, not the UK. She can have another referendum on Scottish independence and try and get in the EU(god knows why anyone is keen on this), but she is not keeping England in the EU against it's wishes, the English will not accept it, along with the metropolitan Londoners trying to push it, and our increasing divide with them, there would be total chaos.

ReputationRep:
    And the majority voted to remain, so maybe you're the one who needs to face reality! Why is it fine for Brexiters to say "respect our decision, the people have spoken" when they won by a margin of only 4%, but then OK to try and ignore or belittle Scotland's decision to remain, which won by a far greater margin? Lol at that hypocrisy.
    They're part of the UK

UK as a majority voted to leave

Goodluck if they want to leave. They need us too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Annoyingly so. The SNP can say and do just about anything so long as there's no effective opposition up here. But everyone knows their only real policy is independence, everything else is just a means to an end.
    it's tenuous to argue that voting to remain was a direct attempt to split away from the rest of the UK ...there was nothing to suggest England would definitely vote to leave in the way it did. If England had voted to remain then you couldnt say this was another means to the end of breaking away from the rest of the UK.

This referendum result perfectly exemplifies why the SNP came about as a party in the first place... Scotland's voice has been silenced by the rest of the UK. It frustrates me however that the SNP is effectly betraying their left wing allies in the Labour party, I think even Nicola Sturgeon feels this guilt tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATW1)
    Won't work.

We're leaving.

Get over it.
    Actually recent events point otherwise. All remain MPs (around 450 of them) are planning to reject the result in parliament so we won

ReputationRep:
    it's tenuous to argue that voting to remain was a direct attempt to split away from the rest of the UK ...there was nothing to suggest England would definitely vote to leave in the way it did. If England had voted to remain then you couldnt say this was another means to the end of breaking away from the rest of the UK.

This referendum result perfectly exemplifies why the SNP came about as a party in the first place... Scotland's voice has been silenced by the rest of the UK. It frustrates me however that the SNP is effectly betraying their left wing allies in the Labour party, I think even Nicola Sturgeon feels this guilt tbh.
    It doesn't matter, 450 remain MPs are planning to reject result. And as they are elected representatives it will be as democratic as it can be. So we won and the leave side lost

ReputationRep:
    Not being funny but she's a darn sight better leader for her people than any leader getting a look in on leading the UK including the now shafted David Cameron. She's a tough little cookie.
    She's calculated but I think Blair is the best leader, then brown or MANDLESON

ReputationRep:
    I'd be cautious in proclaiming victory until and if this comes to pass.
    It most likely will pass and when it does that will settle things for good. The leave side can say nothing then as they saw democracy in action. Anything they say will be hypocritical. So then we win and the question is decided for good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheKian)
    40% of Scots voted leave. Sturgeon needs to get her head out of her ass and face reality
    40% isn't majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester_123)
    It doesn't matter, 450 remain MPs are planning to reject result. And as they are elected representatives it will be as democratic as it can be. So we won and the leave side lost
    Yeah mate, just await the civil war mkii if you pull that one, I'm sure you are hoping for a police state to hold off the democratic will and the majority though.

It doesn't surprise me you are a Blairite either. You people's authoritarian arrogance and hatred of democracy shocks me. If I had lost I would not insist on authoritarian measures, I would accept it, be disappointed, say some nice things to other people who wanted Brexit and campaigned for it and then get on with my life. You people sound increasingly deranged.

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore her, she has no power to make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Yeah mate, just await the civil war mkii if you pull that one, I'm sure you are hoping for a police state to hold off the democratic will and the majority though.

It doesn't surprise me you are a Blairite either. You people's authoritarian arrogance and hatred of democracy shocks me. If I had lost I would not insist on authoritarian measures, I would accept it, be disappointed, say some nice things to other people who wanted Brexit and campaigned for it and then get on with my life. You people sound increasingly deranged.
    You use Blairite like its a poison word. When us "blairites" were in power the economy was at its highest, we won 3 elections democratically, we changed this country for the better.

We do believe in democracy but we also believe in the right decisions. You can be democratic and make sure the right decisions are installed

ReputationRep:
    Only a war will happen

ReputationRep:
    **** just lost a massive long post to you. I'm taking time out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester_123)
    You use Blairite like its a poison word. When us "blairites" were in power the economy was at its highest, we won 3 elections democratically, we changed this country for the better.

We do believe in democracy but we also believe in the right decisions. You can be democratic and make sure the right decisions are installed
    I just lost a massive post cos of this *****y PC. But there is no argument, if you want to believe that fine, it's just sad you can;t see the truth of his legacy and you, like so many more in Labour want more of the same. I won't go through it all again, but devolution and decades of neoliberalism, to cut a long story short, has led to all of this. I would really like to see fresh, new political parties that are not in bubble, and are responsive to people and full of more normal people with normal life experiences. I'd like to see a media like it too, and distribute it across the land and not just in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    I just lost a massive post cos of this *****y PC. But there is no argument, if you want to believe that fine, it's just sad you can;t see the truth of his legacy and you, like so many more in Labour want more of the same. I won't go through it all again, but devolution and decades of neoliberalism, to cut a long story short, has led to all of this. I would really like to see fresh, new political parties that are not in bubble, and are responsive to people and full of more normal people with normal life experiences. I'd like to see a media like it too, and distribute it across the land and not just in London.
    We will take our party back! Mark my words. Corbyn and his communist filth will not hold my Labour Party to ransom again

ReputationRep:
    I read the titl as Sturridge at first and I was so confused.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.