Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who voted remain who aren't being dramatic and ridiculous post Brexit decision watch

• Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Cecily Neville)
    Indeed, it is far too early. And I think one thing we should avoid right now is all this hysteria and emotion because that fear in the collective imaginary drives recession just as much as market forces.
    What you do have is fear and uncertainty, which means people invest and buy less. If they do invest then its easier to seek safety in gold and $ or a more stable currency plus invest in other markets. It wont surprise me if we go into recession.

They should put the Brexiters in charge and hold them accountable for what happens, good or bad. They have to carry through their promises.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know a single person who voted leave then you need to get out of your bubble. If you don't have different opinions on your news feed or timeline then you're living in an echo chamber and likely only get the other side's arguments as interpreted through your own side, after application of appropriate spin. And that means that you're part of the polarisation.

It's easy to dismiss half of the entire population as ignorant bigots and racists if you've never tried to understand them or had even one genuine, heartfelt conversation. Even easier if your life rarely brings you into contact with them, which is especially the case for students.

I actually see the same condescending attitudes from my (overwhelmingly young, cosmopolitan, progressive) friends towards their fellow citizens here that I see from white western orientalists commenting about what's happening in the Middle East - looking down, talking about but never to, and trying to fit everything into pre-conceived boxes without admitting a possible knowledge (let alone empathy) deficit.

Populism and xenophobia aren't being normalised, they were normalised long ago. If you want us to head in a different direction you can either ignore the problem and hope it'll fix itself somehow, try to abuse people into change (good luck with that), or suspend democracy. If none of those options sound appealing then get out there and burst your bubble. This is a polarised country, and it certainly won't be politicians that fix that.
    A Facebook update from a friend of a friend which resonated.

ReputationRep:
    Better not let @JordanL_ Fullofsurprises tanyapotter jneill post here, its too civilised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What you do have is fear and uncertainty, which means people invest and buy less. If they do invest then its easier to seek safety in gold and $ or a more stable currency plus invest in other markets. It wont surprise me if we go into recession.

They should put the Brexiters in charge and hold them accountable for what happens, good or bad. They have to carry through their promises.
    But that level of fear and uncertainty is driven by people claiming ridiculous and unsubstantiated things filled with emotion. Everyone needs to calm down a bit.

How do you have certainty being in the EU though that's what I want to know? We have been in recession whilst in the EU. How is that possible if the EU is supposedly such a force against recession?

ReputationRep:
    There isn't much decency trust me. My Facebook newsfeed absolutely shocked me. I actually wrote a status on Friday morning - which I never do, simply because I was truly astounded by the arrogance and hatred being spouted. And a few of my friends contacted me and said they had removed their hysterical knee jerk reaction status because of it which I am quite proud of. Did you vote remain or leave btw?

Labour rebels are just hijacking the referendum result whilst there is sufficient attention on politics. How the cabinet is acting is literally disgusting and Labour's hope of ever being a true opposing force to Tory politics is going down the drain with the way the Labour MPS are acting right now.
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsphysics91)
    Better not let @JordanL_ Fullofsurprises tanyapotter jneill post here, its too civilised.
    Why did you tag them then :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Well here's the irony:

The Remainers are using the politics of fear and hatred of 'the other'; and their principle complaint is that the Leavers are motivated by fear and hatred of 'the other'.

I have a threshold for irony in political debates, and by 8am on Friday morning it had been fairly comprehensively exceeded.

I'm pretty if I had been tested on Friday morning, there would have been about four times the legal level of irony in my bloodstream.
    I think it doesn't help that both the extreme racist leave voters and the vitriolic hypocritical remain voters are trapped in their own limited spaces. Older voters may be loyal to old values that no longer apply but this is also a student forum which mean many people here probably don't have enough life experience to see multiple sides.

I think it is best to look at the polls of somewhere like London because it is very multicultural to get a good idea of the best outcome. I think what we should try to do now is ensure London is still with the EU because it is a very important city in terms of global trade.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you tag them then :facepalm2:
    Some men just want to watch the world burn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Meritocrat)
    I think it doesn't help that both the extreme racist leave voters and the vitriolic hypocritical remain voters are trapped in their own limited spaces. Older voters may be loyal to old values that no longer apply but this is also a student forum which mean many people here probably don't have enough life experience to see multiple sides.

I think it is best to look at the polls of somewhere like London because it is very multicultural to get a good idea of the best outcome. I think what we should try to do now is ensure London is still with the EU because it is a very important city in terms of global trade.

Well this is it, everyone is trapped in their own echo chambers and blinded by self righteousness to really think about this logically.

ReputationRep:
    Some men just want to watch the world burn.
    This thread is specifically for remain voters who are not like those people, so arrogant in their opinion and so dramatic about the consequences of which they clearly don't know a lot about.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is fair for you to call the people upset by the result overreacting. Companies are releasing statements saying they are concerned about their future, Scotland is openly discussing leaving and there has been a increase in casual racism being reported.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is specifically for remain voters who are not like those people, so arrogant in their opinion and so dramatic about the consequences of which they clearly don't know a lot about.
    I was hoping this thread would cure them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elitepower)
    I don't think it is fair for you to call the people upset by the result overreacting. Companies are releasing statements saying they are concerned about their future, Scotland is openly discussing leaving and there has been a increase in casual racism being reported.
    It is entirely fair. It is a complete over reaction.

Of course companies are concerned right now.

Scotland wants to leave primarily because of the prominence of Tory and Nulab politics in England. It is an anti-Westminster war they are waging and Brexit is just convenient to that vision.

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping this thread would cure them.
    It is hard to cure Bigots. Especially progressive ones.

ReputationRep:
    But that level of fear and uncertainty is driven by people claiming ridiculous and unsubstantiated things filled with emotion. Everyone needs to calm down a bit.

How do you have certainty being in the EU though that's what I want to know? We have been in recession whilst in the EU. How is that possible if the EU is supposedly such a force against recession?
    I don't think so. The uncertainty is because no one knows what will be negotiated. That is why inward investment will be cut significantly in the UK as long as nothing is done.

There will be a cut in growth as business readjusts. Some will move business within the EU to guarantee single market access.

I don't really see how any of this would have happened if we had voted remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)

I agree Brexiters should be in charge.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Uncertainty is a market force. They dont like surprises and unknowns. That is what we have entered. They like long steady and predictable. At the moment there are three types of people, the optimists, who think what has happened is good for the economy (Brexiters), those who are unsure( neutrals who will wait and see) and tise who believe it was a bad idea (the pessimist remainers).

Hopefully the brexiters will keep the economy going, carry on investing and spending as the other groups will wait and see or just cut spending. Public confidence in the economy is crucial.

The certainty by being in the EU is because we have 40 years experience and its a better the devil you know argument. Until they have negotiated the deal we dont know whether we have access to the single market, what goods might have tariffs etc. That unknown means we need to negotiate as quickly as possible as well as get the best terms possible. Until that is sorted we have further uncertainity . negotiations will be 2.5 years, then another 5-10 years till we know how that pans out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor_Einstein)
    I agree Brexiters should be in charge.
    What does that even mean? That remainers would rather just sit with their arms folded and refuse to co-operate because they didn't get their way. Wow.

ReputationRep:
    David Hirsh uses the concept of the self-declared progressive circle whereby the self-proclaimed virtuous defines and polices the borders of normative discourse.

Step outside the circle (i.e. give voice to an idea that may not be on the tick box list of pre-approved tenets) and the full force of disapproval and anger comes crashing down: “We understand what you are saying. We can decode it instantly. We have the tools. And what our tools show is that you are bad. You are not virtuous like us”.

Dan Hodges and all those rushing off to sit in front of their laptops and log into the latest post Brexit petition seem to me to be engaging in exactly this type of behavior.Significant parts of the North (and of course Wales & Cornwall) have never recovered from the loss of heavy industry. London and the South East is simply not in the same boat. Unless you live in the North (or Wales & Cornwall etc) there is a very good chance that actually you don’t understand. Not really. Now, the smart thing to do with this is to engage and unpack.

The easy and less smart thing to do is to draw out the virtuous progressive circle. The trouble is, it really is much easier to get out the felt tip pens and start drawing, so largely that’s what people seem to be doing.

I think most remainers are drawing this virtual progressive circle and it is more damaging to our society than Brexit will ever be.

ReputationRep:
    What does that even mean? That remainers would rather just sit with their arms folded and refuse to co-operate because they didn't get their way. Wow.
    I voted leave and I agree that Brexiters should be in charge rather than remainers as we know better.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.