Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think UK is screwed after Brexit and will you leave the country? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Life goes on. If you think your prospects are better in any other European nation, then good luck. May want to learn a language other than English first (I'm saying this as a European who speaks multiple European languages and someone who has lived in more than one nation).

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you barely finished high school, but you are already planning to leave because Brexit?

That must be the most exaggerated response I have seen so far. It's likely that some businesses will have it a tough time after Brexit, but to already plan to leave you friends, family and country seems a bit far fetched to me. Plus, as someone else mentioned, where do you want to go to? The UK is already one of the richest countries in the world, where do you think you'll be significantly better off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    I think London is screwed, rest of the country will likely improve for the better.
    How low do you think real estate will drop in central?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think it was quite a disaster especially if the country splits up.
    Many people worldwide think Britain is less appealing now .
    It's predicted that Britain will be less powerful and wealthy in the future .

ReputationRep:
    No. We're going to be fine if people get their **** together and work towards a goal rather than sit around and complain that "we should've voted stay". This is creating uncertainty for businesses which is why they are considering leaving for a while.

If cameron had simply awknoldged it and said we're going to make sure we work to create the best outcome from this descision, you wouldnt have seen the massive drop, or at least we'd have recovered. People are afraid to invest because they dont know what is going to happen. Kids are complaining and rioting. Tories are hiding, and labor are fighting over "I told you so".

Ultimately, nationalism is a strong power. If the brits feel like we're no longer working for the french, they'll work harder. Britain is going to move from a trading capital to a scientific and industrial capital. We need to switch our focus to research and technology as we no longer have the network we had/ it got smaller, but we still have the brightest minds in the world. Instead of becoming the equivalent of a post office for the world, we need to become a country where you have the headquarters of things like apple and microsoft.

It all falls down to the next 2 years. Decision was made, dont complain, get it together. Sitting by and being toxic wont help. There are bright sides to leaving. Its a chance of growth. We need to take it.

Right now the UK is like a bunch of people who lived in a cave their entire lives, who suddently left. People are afraid because there's predators out here, but if they stay in there they may never build civilization. We'll be living happily in the cave with no worries and calm lives, but no real achievements or discoveries. Just sitting around eating mushrooms and drawing on walls.

Keep in mind I was pro remain, but we need to adapt. There are advantages to both sides.

The worst part has already happened. Can only get better from here. We need the confidence of people to do it though.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Depends what you mean by screwed. In the long term nobody knows.

Imo we will go into a recession and spend several years with minimal growth, until things are sorted out and people have confidence in the UK again.

Obviously a lot worse if you lose your job, but many people wont notice the difference.

Will be 10-20 years before we know what the true impact has been. That will give the UK time to resume links with the Commonwealth and establish a raft of new free trade agreements all over the world.

ReputationRep:
    No, we'll be fine, and I'll be staying here. So will the overwhelming majority of the people who are now blustering about moving elsewhere.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Brokensteps)
    No. We're going to be fine if people get their **** together and work towards a goal rather than sit around and complain that "we should've voted stay". This is creating uncertainty for businesses which is why they are considering leaving for a while.

If cameron had simply awknoldged it and said we're going to make sure we work to create the best outcome from this descision, you wouldnt have seen the massive drop, or at least we'd have recovered. People are afraid to invest because they dont know what is going to happen. Kids are complaining and rioting. Tories are hiding, and labor are fighting over "I told you so".

Ultimately, nationalism is a strong power. If the brits feel like we're no longer working for the french, they'll work harder. Britain is going to move from a trading capital to a scientific and industrial capital. We need to switch our focus to research and technology as we no longer have the network we had/ it got smaller, but we still have the brightest minds in the world.

The worst part has already happened. Can only get better from here. We need the confidence of people to do it though.
    take a lot more than cameron. If we have no idea what will happen, then thats an yncertainty you cnat easily remove. If a significant number of people are more pessimistic or dont know, then its only natural they wont spend or invest. They will need confidence in the economy and their own prospects for that. I doubt whether an appeal to nationalism in the circumstances will work. people are a bit more selfish and cynical these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    take a lot more than cameron. If we have no idea what will happen, then thats an yncertainty you cnat easily remove. If a significant number of people are more pessimistic or dont know, then its only natural they wont spend or invest. They will need confidence in the economy and their own prospects for that. I doubt whether an appeal to nationalism in the circumstances will work. people are a bit more selfish and cynical these days.
    Yeah, I understand. As I said, I was on the side of remain. The UK requires new focus. We need to go back to focusing our efforts on research instead of being a glorified postal service. We have got the greatest minds here after all. Might as well use it for something other than paperwork. Become more like california, with investments in tech companies and robotics, and education. We are an island. We have to go for quality over quantity.

Im not blaming Dave, he did the right thing for him. He didnt think he was capable of handling this and his ideology did not fit this, so he quit. But the joke that's the current labor party is going to leave UKIP in power soon. Corbyn has the right idea, he would probably be the best person to take charge right now, but we'll see soon.

Things like Regrexit are making things so much worse. Leaving investors thinking the UK might have another refferendum, or MPs overturning the vote. Especially when theyre so fake and lying to get attention. Its less than 1% that regret voting leave. 4% of remain voter's are happy with the choice on the other hand
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Brokensteps)
    Yeah, I understand. As I said, I was on the side of remain. The UK requires new focus. We need to go back to focusing our efforts on research instead of being a glorified postal service. We have got the greatest minds here after all. Might as well use it for something other than paperwork. Become more like california, with investments in tech companies and robotics, and education. We are an island. We have to go for quality over quantity.

Im not blaming Dave, he did the right thing for him. He didnt think he was capable of handling this and his ideology did not fit this, so he quit. But the joke that's the current labor party is going to leave UKIP in power soon. Corbyn has the right idea, he would probably be the best person to take charge right now, but we'll see soon.

Things like Regrexit are making things so much worse. Leaving investors thinking the UK might have another refferendum, or MPs overturning the vote.
    I really dont think anyone is taking it seriously.

You arent going to change the complete nature of our economy.

We should make money however we can. At the moment we have a worrying balance if trade deficit. It looks likely that we will become very much a part of the Commonwealth as major trading partners, so lest see how all that pans out.

In the meantime, whilst all these events are going on, then id be looking after me and mine plus trying to survive.

ReputationRep:
    Went to renew my Australian passport and the consulate said they were swamped at least it's an option but I don't see myself going there because of Brexit alone (not at this point anyway!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had considered leaving the UK after university and now my decision is a definite one. Fortunately i intend to study languages and teach so that would make emigration a lot easier than for other careers.

I think the UK will recover but the damage is going to be around for a very long time. The next three years+ are going to be hellish.

ReputationRep:
    I will apply for Irish passport (Irish grandparent) if Clause 50 is triggered and it ends in Exit.

Still a long way to go.

It has to pass parliament with 400 of the 500 MPs anti Brexit....

Id say more than 50:50 it will not happen

David LAmmy next PM with Libdem support

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I really dont think anyone is taking it seriously.

You arent going to change the complete nature of our economy.

We should make money however we can. At the moment we have a worrying balance if trade deficit. It looks likely that we will become very much a part of the Commonwealth as major trading partners, so lest see how all that pans out.

In the meantime, whilst all these events are going on, then id be looking after me and mine plus trying to survive.
    Well, its more likely than you think. Obviously long term, and a target, so not getting there soon. Inflating the currency, and lower tax on imports from china/india should boost our startup number. Also, trade deals with america should be better now that we no longer have the EU tax regulations on non-eu countries. The newly reformed Iceland might become best buds with the UK, given geography and ideology. The lower cost of labor in the UK due to the deflation of the pound might encourage some investors. We do need something else to offer them so a much stronger US-UK bond might help. We're still the major english speaking country in the entirety of Europe.

Just trying to look at the bright side.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and yes. Tomorrow I'm calling the Dutch embassy to see if I can get a passport from them since I was born there and hopefully I can use it to get a proper job when I'm done. I already knew that I wouldn't stay in the UK after uni but the vote has just increased my urgency in getting out

ReputationRep:
    I won't leave, but I'm renewing my Greek passport and getting my parents to apply for UK citizenship as soon as they meet the 5-year minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asim1999)
    I am not too sure but a lot of my friends want to leave after they get their degrees. Since i am in Year 12, we were all underage my only a few months to vote.
    Do you think we are screwed and will you like to leave the UK?
    we're not leaving the EU

Many MPS are attempting to ignore the vote and challenge it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    we're not leaving the EU

Many MPS are attempting to ignore the vote and challenge it.
    If we dont leave the UK is dead. Get used to becoming a state in a european country. Morale will die, and people will basically go back to thinking their vote doesnt matter. Going back in after all of this is going to be the worst thing they've done.

We will be unable to leave anymore, meaning that the EU will have the power to force us to do anything. Things cant go back to the way they were.

dont tell me its just a conspiracy. They already announced beggining discussion on a european army. They've got a fiscal policy already, an army in the working. Only thing missing is a shared currency. And now they can force that on us after what happened.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an EU student so I'll probably will leave. Which sucks because planned on staying, I feel like if UK leaves EU when I finish my degree next year it'll be so difficult to find a job and it's not nice feeling welcomed as well. I imagine the first years will be very difficult but yeah eventually it settle down. To be honest I'm mostly worried about the segregation it's causing, because Scotland will probably vote for independence and if UK leaves I see other countries pulling out of EU too..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londsan)
    I'm an EU student so I'll probably will leave. Which sucks because planned on staying, I feel like if UK leaves EU when I finish my degree next year it'll be so difficult to find a job and it's not nice feeling welcomed as well. I imagine the first years will be very difficult but yeah eventually it settle down. To be honest I'm mostly worried about the segregation it's causing, because Scotland will probably vote for independence and if UK leaves I see other countries pulling out of EU too..
    It wont be causing segregation. Sure, the racists had a day to celebrate something, doesnt mean they werent racist before. Not all leave voters are anti europeans, theyre mostly anti EU as a political body. It might be difficult and if you cant find one then move over, but at least try to find one. You never know

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.