Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will we have our Death Penalty back now ? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    hmmm in this country we always hanged witches. you are thinking of Scotland.
    Oh well, times are changing so we can always start.

ReputationRep:
    hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    my point is that now that the kind of people who voted us out of Europe have tasted success there will be no stopping them until we are back in the 1950s.

ReputationRep:
    the very people who voted us out of European Civilization are the ones who want Capital Punishment restored.

People who want capital punishment are a minority.

ReputationRep:
    Totally against the death penalty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    the people who destroyed our relationship with Europe are a minority.

ReputationRep:
    Only just.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32061822

Perhaps there should be a referendum?

ReputationRep:
    the people who destroyed our relationship with Europe are a minority.

Hmm that is another subject, but capital punishment will never, ever occur on uk soil.
    And that is what makes our country great,greater than the us

ReputationRep:
    We can start with Farage

ReputationRep:
    Hmm that is another subject, but capital punishment will never, ever occur on uk soil.
    And that is what makes our country great,greater than the us
    just saying something does not make it true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gora The Xplorer)
    OP is a fool to be ignored.

If he thinks the only thing stopping us from reinstating the death penalty was the EU, he probably still believes in Santa.
    you are a rude person.

ReputationRep:
    Now that we are back in charge of our own affairs, can we start hanging people again ?
    I personally think there should be capital punishment of some form for crimes where there is 100% definitive evidence that someone is guilty of murder, especially mass murder.

ReputationRep:
    The death penalty was abolished in 1965. Way before the EU (1993) imposed any laws on the UK so why would they bring it back? Even in America desth penalty is rarely used

ReputationRep:
    you are a rude person.
    Only to certain people.

ReputationRep:
    After what has just happened in this country, it really wouldn't surprise me if we brought back the death penalty then had a referendum on if we should start burning witches again.

the bear The Roast TSRFT8 calm down Xelfrost mercuryman Blue_Mason JamesN88
    PrincessZara CharlesJH

There are international students from rich, prosperous and safe first world countries namely in the Commonwealth, reading this thread and laughing to themselves as to the incredulous stupidity of successive British governments' fear of reviving the death penalty because to do so would be akin to committing political hara-kiri.

These international students have to study the British curriculum back home so it is inevitable that as they process the information in the textbooks about the UK, they can't help but compare the UK situation with that of their home countries. Their teachers also encourage them to read anything but the BBC because the BBC is part of the state. It's role is to be the political mouthpiece of the Conservative government. To publish articles with detailed analysis and editorial opinions is not advisable. This not how a special relationship works.

These international students are on this forum because they're in search of increasing their general knowledge on the UK unis that they intend to study at. The reason why they don't participate on threads of this nature is because
    • they're not British
    • they couldn't care less if capital punishment is brought back in the UK
    • they want to go to the top UK unis, complete their degrees and return back home to work
    • they know that many British politicians after Thatcher, are clueless & made a mess of almost everything
    • they know that many of the British politicians have never done a proper day's work in their lives
    • they know that the British police are powerless because they face cuts in numbers and salaries in the aftermath of the allocation of budget following every life of Parliament
    • they know that serving a prison sentence in UK jails is like taking a holiday
    • they know that the only saving grace of the UK is the judiciary especially the Supreme Court judges
    • they know that the Supreme Court judges can only do so much because their hands are tied given that the British politicians' stance on legislation on punishment is soft
    If you brought back the death penalty today, there would be an immediate decrease in
    • murders, unauthorized firearms possession and/or discharge of firearm
    • possession and/or trafficking of large quantities of illicit drugs
    To suggest that the death penalty should not be brought back for fear of miscarriages of justice is to cast aspersions on the integrity and professionalism of the investigating police officers, the Crown Prosecution Service and the various hierarchy of the court structures which are staffed with learned judges.

If you introduced caning or flogging, there too would be a similar decease in
    • knife crimes, rioting with dangerous weapons, consumption of drugs
    • rape, sexual grooming and/or sex of/with a minor, living of immoral earnings of a forced sex worker
    • criminal damage to property, assault, battery etc
    The problem in the UK is education and knowledge. If you have never ventured out of the UK to holiday in successful first world countries, you will never ever come to learn that there are better models of good governance out there. If you have to rely on your teachers for information, you will only become a carbon copy of your teacher. If you rely on the BBC, you will never increase your general knowledge because you've unknowingly allowed yourself to accept only one narrative.

Look at this post of mine as an example. Tell me that you've not learnt one single new thing. Go on. Tell me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    the bear The Roast TSRFT8 calm down Xelfrost mercuryman Blue_Mason JamesN88
    PrincessZara CharlesJH

There are international students from rich, prosperous and safe first world countries namely in the Commonwealth, reading this thread and laughing to themselves as to the incredulous stupidity of successive British governments' fear of reviving the death penalty because to do so would be akin to committing political hara-kiri.
    Edit: Scrap that, I'm a tard who can't read properly. -_-

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: I AM A RETARD WHO CANNOT READ, APOLOGIES.
    Thanks to MercuryMan for correcting me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlesJH)
    You mention me in this post as an "international student", although I am British.
    https://youtu.be/j_aqUu6rBac?t=57
    she wasn't referring to you as an international student, re-read it.

ReputationRep:
    Audrey18

Really???

I'd never have known that international students aren't British if you hadn't told me.

I already held similar opinions regarding some aspects of the UK govt and politicians that you mentioned, other than that it's mostly subjective and patronising.

You aren't the only person who doesn't rely on a single source of news.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.