The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Travelling to UK for First TIme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Second_Beauty
Okay I've got summer clothes so now I need to purchase a coat and a strong umbrella. Thanks so much for your help :smile:

Yh, that will do :biggrin:

Make sure the coat isn't too heavy...

If you need help, I'm always there :h:
So.... Just ask!
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
Yh, that will do :biggrin:

Make sure the coat isn't too heavy...

If you need help, I'm always there :h:
So.... Just ask!

Thanks much for the hospitality ! I'll ask if anything else.
Ok I've found where you live.

You are going to be cold - very cold. The weather in Britain is very variable , can be lovely in the morning then wet /cold and back again by evening. Not a lot of snow in London but it can be / will seem chilly to you.

Bring enough money to buy some warm clothes, trousers, jumpers, a water proof coat with a hood, socks, warm shoes/ boots. You'll find loads of shops in Kingston.

I think you will be stunned by London. It's huge and everything but everything is going on there. Make a list of all the things you want to do and see before you come. It will take all your time here to go through the list! Go on a trip down the river Thames, visit the many parks, loads of museums, cricket, football, theatres, films, House of Commons, old churches, Tower of London, the Temple, Buckingham Palace etc.

Then outside London, see Cambridge, Stratford on Avon, Norfolk Broads, the Peak District, North Yorkshire Dales, Devon, Cornwall, Wales, the New Forest, the Cotswolds, the Lake District, Edinburgh, the Western Isles of Scotland, Ireland - the Ring of Kerry - Cork.

Enjoy.
Thanks much for the hospitality ! I'll ask if anything else.

Your welcome...
Okay :h:
Original post by pickup
Ok I've found where you live.

You are going to be cold - very cold. The weather in Britain is very variable , can be lovely in the morning then wet /cold and back again by evening. Not a lot of snow in London but it can be / will seem chilly to you.

Bring enough money to buy some warm clothes, trousers, jumpers, a water proof coat with a hood, socks, warm shoes/ boots. You'll find loads of shops in Kingston.

I think you will be stunned by London. It's huge and everything but everything is going on there. Make a list of all the things you want to do and see before you come. It will take all your time here to go through the list! Go on a trip down the river Thames, visit the many parks, loads of museums, cricket, football, theatres, films, House of Commons, old churches, Tower of London, the Temple, Buckingham Palace etc.

Then outside London, see Cambridge, Stratford on Avon, Norfolk Broads, the Peak District, North Yorkshire Dales, Devon, Cornwall, Wales, the New Forest, the Cotswolds, the Lake District, Edinburgh, the Western Isles of Scotland, Ireland - the Ring of Kerry - Cork.

Enjoy.

Wow !! so detailed. Sounds like tons of fun if I don't freeze my toes off first. I'll try to purchase clothing ahead of time to be safe then sorry. I'm going to try the fish and chips the first week like everyone's suggesting. I'll try my best to adjust to the weather there. Thanks so much for giving me such detailed information ! and I'm certainly seeing the hospitality in this thread you had mentioned. I'm sure it'll feel like home.
Since you're going to be in London, learn how to use the tube and get a feel for the tube map (very very confusing to look at but trust me, it will all make sense) - and maybe don't do this at rush hour.

Although I'm not sure what other advice to give you seeing as I don't live in London - except don't bother coming to the north. Nothing worth seeing here.

Also very different to the south so you might just end up getting confused and lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Since you're going to be in London, learn how to use the tube and get a feel for the tube map (very very confusing to look at but trust me, it will all make sense) - and maybe don't do this at rush hour.

Although I'm not sure what other advice to give you seeing as I don't live in London - except don't bother coming to the north. Nothing worth seeing here.

Also very different to the south so you might just end up getting confused and lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks. I'll do some research on the tube

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I am travelling to the UK for the first time and I don't have a clue what I need to do before I get there and once I've landed in the UK. I've received a conditional offer which I know has to be sorted out before I travel and have been classified as a home student. Any tips or suggestions ??

Great tips from everyone! Hope you enjoy it over here :smile:

Emily
Student ambassador
Original post by Kingston University
Great tips from everyone! Hope you enjoy it over here :smile:

Emily
Student ambassador

Thanks I really look forward to it 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending