Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    7% of Kippers aren't true Kippers.

(Original post by drogon)
    dont be so narrow minded and bigoted.

(Original post by JamesN88)
    Some of them may have just opted for UKIP as protest vote.
    Ah, you again.

Im curious. What's your ethnicity? Were you born here or did you move to UK when you were little? Were your parents born here and did they move here a decade or two ago?

ReputationRep:
    Well, all UKIP seems to be is just a non racist national party, and in a lot of ways remain benefitted the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    Ah, you again.

Im curious. What's your ethnicity? Were you born here or did you move to UK when you were little? Were your parents born here and did they move here a decade or two ago?
    My ethnicity is White British. My Family as far back as records go were all born here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    I don't even know what to say about this.
    1) People voted for UKIP for different reasons. In particular as a protest vote as had happened with the Lib Dems previously (that's why there was a large exchange of voters from lib Dems to UKIP in 2015)

2) UKIP do have domestic policies. E.g grammar schools + cutting international aid. Certainly I agree with those areas but disagree with leaving the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    1) People voted for UKIP for different reasons. In particular as a protest vote as had happened with the Lib Dems previously (that's why there was a large change of voters from lib Dems to UKIP)

2) UKIP do have domestic policies. E.g grammar schools + cutting international aid. Certainly I agree with those areas but disagree with leaving the EU.
    I acknowledge the protest vote argument and I think there is something to be said about marginal seats but I don't buy the policy argument at all. People are drawn to UKIP because of their stance on the EU, not because they want to lower taxes. UKIP is a far-right party which peddles left whenever it feels like it. Their policies are haphazard at best so I don't think a well-informed voter would support UKIP for any reason beyond leaving the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I acknowledge the protest vote argument and I think there is something to be said about marginal seats but I don't buy the policy argument at all. People are drawn to UKIP because of their stance on the EU, not because they want to lower taxes. UKIP is a far-right party which peddles left whenever it feels like it. Their policies are haphazard at best so I don't think a well-informed voter would support UKIP for any reason beyond leaving the EU.
    Firstly, Far-Right in what sense? If UKIP are far-right what on earth are the Front National on the political spectrum or Jobbik or Golden Dawn? Certainly more right wing than the Tories but it is quite persuasive to suggest that UKIP doesn't embody the same ethos as other anti-EU parties (e.g it isn't anti-Islamic, doesn't use violence and isn't very authoritarian).

Also the view that there is nothing appealing (I.e unique) about ukip's domestic policies in the general public is false.
    1) UKIP is the only party to wholeheartedly agree with the concept of grammar schools, a concept that most of the public agree on, the Tories are split on and Labour completely oppose.
    2) UKIP are the only party to bother arguing against international aid
    3) UKIP believe in cutting tuition fees for STEM students - something again much of the populace agree with
    4) Intermediate tax Band to appeal to 'middle-class aspirational' voters, something that the other parties did not offer

Sure, I'd accept that much of the UKIP appeal is based around the EU/Immigration. But their domestic policies are not only inextricably-linked to this but have broadened their appeal. Besides, their manifesto was the only fully-costed one by a major party and in that sense was more believable than any of the others - in particular the Greens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Technically white supremacists should be voting Remain because the rest of Europe is white. 7% sounds like a probable percentage for the amount of white supremacists in UKIP so maybe it's something to do with that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Technically white supremacists should be voting Remain because the rest of Europe is white. 7% sounds like a probable percentage for the amount of white supremacists in UKIP so maybe it's something to do with that.
    Unfortunately, Merkel is allowing the third world in. Your right though, the Europeans are not an ethno-cultural threat.

ReputationRep:
    They are traitors to the United Kingdom independence party

ReputationRep:
    UKIP has often been used as a protest, vote, so this isn't surprising.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they want a more libertarian/ socially conservative EU?

Inb4 not possible, it is, though it would be a change of direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    Ah, you again.

Why did you ever think this was a legit or in any way relevant question to ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drogon)
    If we brought rational and sensible arguments then there wouldnt be so many shouty brexiters
    What shouty brexiters? All the shoutiness and mouth frothing is coming squarly from petulant remainers who just can't get over the fact that they didn't get their own way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know what to say about this.
    This is based on a poll, as we have found out twice in 2 years Polls are rubbish and I wouldn't be surprised if they are at least 7% out again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.