Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I really want to support him, I think he's a really great guy and I'm very worried about who would replace him. But I'm concerned that he's lost the favour of the public...
    I don't doubt his credentials as an MP for one second. He's kept his seat for ages, his expenses were non existent and he's always been very passionate about what he believes in. However being a "good guy" doesn't necessarily make you a good leader.

Did he ever have the favour of the public to begin with?

(Original post by Drewski)
    Not net there isn't.

They've lost millions of votes and gained a few hundred thousand.

Until Labour find a way to win back Scotland they'll never win a General. Corbyn does not have the appeal to win over the majority of centrists in this country in the swing seats.

As long as Corbyn is in charge Labour will not win. It is that simple.
    Scotland won't be in the UK the next time we have a general election, which ****s Labour over no matter who is in charge tbh. If you look at a map of how constituencies have voted in recent years, even in 1997 the map of England is mostly Tory blue. It'll be nigh on impossible for Labour to ever convert places like Surrey, Sussex and the shires which have been Tory safe seats for generations, in the same way that no Tory candidate will ever have a chance of winning seats in most of Yorkshire, Tyneside, Merseyside etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sr90)
    I don't doubt his credentials as an MP for one second. He's kept his seat for ages, his expenses were non existent and he's always been very passionate about what he believes in. However being a "good guy" doesn't necessarily make you a good leader.

Did he ever have the favour of the public to begin with?
    Probably not. His performance as Labour leader over the last few months has been underwhelming enough for me to accept another leader, but not if they're New Labour. I'd rather have a Labour Party with a lower chance of winning an election than a party I can't recognise as the Labour Party in the first place. The thing that is irking me about this leadership challenge is that nobody, so far, has clearly proposed an alternative. They should have at least waited to put forward a strong alternative to Corbyn before trying to depose of him.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Probably not. His performance as Labour leader over the last few months has been underwhelming enough for me to accept another leader, but not if they're New Labour. I'd rather have a Labour Party with a lower chance of winning an election than a party I can't recognise as the Labour Party in the first place. The thing that is irking me about this leadership challenge is that nobody, so far, has clearly proposed an alternative. They should have at least waited to put forward a strong alternative to Corbyn before trying to depose of him.
    Reckon Chuka Umunna would run this time? I like him, he speaks a lot of sense.

I've seen Dan Jarvis mentioned a lot as well but I haven't the slightest idea who he is, what he stands for etc.

The options are underwhelming for both major parties tbh. Our only real hope of stopping Boris is Teresa May.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Scotland won't be in the UK the next time we have a general election, which ****s Labour over no matter who is in charge tbh.
    That's not a given. New PM could decide to call one earlier than 2020 in order prove a mandate - and with Labour in the state they are it wouldn't be the worst idea.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sr90)
    Our only real hope of stopping Boris is Teresa May.
    Is that really an improvement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I've seen Dan Jarvis mentioned a lot as well but I haven't the slightest idea who he is, what he stands for etc.
    Former Major in the Paras. Very different kind of leader to anything any party has. Not the worst idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Yep, and sadly I think it would require him compromising on some of his principles and values for him to have any chance of with a GE, and I'm not sure he's going to do that, I'll happily support him in a GE as I like his honesty and his general principles, but I just don't see him winning the necessary votes in a GE and he'll continue to be absolutely torn apart by the media and the ruthless Tories. Nothing about him suggests he's going to be the next PM and as a politician I find him a bit naive and incompetent really, for example, he doesn't like personality politics, but whether he likes it or not, personality politics is the reality of politics these days, especially if you come up against Boris Johnson, policies and principles will never win an election alone.
    And, as I have said before we will never progress as a nation until we grow up and stop choosing politicians on the basis of their winning smile, or their sense of humour or their blue eyes!

For too, long we have been too lazy to investigate their ideas or their policies but have taken the words of foreign /off shore billionaire newspaper owners as gospel. Knowing as we now do , just how ruthless and lacking in principle they are, why do we attach any credence to their views?

It looks as though we are going to have to learn the hard way. No one with policies that want to make billionaires pay their share of tax eg , is going to get a fair hearing in our press. We are just going to suffer for our stupidity until we learn to judge for ourselves.

Historically we have had it easy relatively speaking. No invading army, no necessity of making life threatening decisions on a daily basis. No small error that might lead to being shot. This maybe is why we have been able to act so irresponsibly politically speaking.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  FB_IMG_1467090610567.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  9.6 KB

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.