The Student Room Group

Told a girl she's good-looking and...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sisuphos
See that's mildly better and totally understandable. Isn't it profane to write Allah with a small "a" anyway? tsk tsk

Lmao. I don't think it's profane per say, but since Allah is a noun, one should illustrate it with a capital 'A'.
Original post by AppleB
Subhan Allah
Mashallah
Inshallah
Astaghfirullah
Alhamdulillah

I know so many Muslim words :ahee:

That's good! :smile:
Original post by That Arab Guy
Let's not try spew'eth the nonsense here. No one on Gods Green earth does not like to be complimented like that by the opposite gender. If I said "damn you is one fine young thanggggg" I would understand how some people can find that distasteful, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with what I said regardless of the time of year.

Spoiler

Islamically there is techically. It's good that you were modest in the way that you complimented her, I totally get you, but fundamentally according to how the first generation of Muslims (including the Prophet SAW) and also the following few generations (which collectively are the best generations of Muslims to walk this Earth) interacted with women, not even this kind of modest complimenting is really permitted, as far as I am aware :redface:
If you wish I could find quotes or fatwas? The time of year (Ramadhan) matters only in that good deeds are heavier in weight and also bad deeds are heavier in weight, and thus her mentioning Ramadhan is meant to refer to this fact, and she perceived complimenting her (even modestly) to still be negative. Because of Ramadhan, people often expect themselves and others to be on their best behaviours and limit even the smallest sins if possible.

I understand by your reaction to this that it might be a shock or you might think only really strict and conservative or extreme Muslims believe in what I said, but the reality is that the Islamically correct position is to limit contact with non-Mahrem females.

Many of us struggle with implementing these rules, but InshaAllah we can just try to get progressively better. May Allah guide us all, Ameen.
Sounds like sliding to me.
The end of days
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Astaghfirullah brother, you shouldn't be harassing Muslimahs on this most holiest of months :naughty:

Congratulations on 12 gems! :biggrin: I noticed you had a row of 'too many' gems lol. :tongue:

@That Arab Guy it's so cute you complimented her, I admire you for your confidence.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Islamically there is techically. It's good that you were modest in the way that you complimented her, I totally get you, but fundamentally according to how the first generation of Muslims (including the Prophet SAW) and also the following few generations (which collectively are the best generations of Muslims to walk this Earth) interacted with women, not even this kind of modest complimenting is really permitted, as far as I am aware :redface:
If you wish I could find quotes or fatwas? The time of year (Ramadhan) matters only in that good deeds are heavier in weight and also bad deeds are heavier in weight, and thus her mentioning Ramadhan is meant to refer to this fact, and she perceived complimenting her (even modestly) to still be negative. Because of Ramadhan, people often expect themselves and others to be on their best behaviours and limit even the smallest sins if possible.

I understand by your reaction to this that it might be a shock or you might think only really strict and conservative or extreme Muslims believe in what I said, but the reality is that the Islamically correct position is to limit contact with non-Mahrem females.

Many of us struggle with implementing these rules, but InshaAllah we can just try to get progressively better. May Allah guide us all, Ameen.

Hello there dear friend,

I would like to inform you that complimenting one based on what is halal for them to display in public, by including Allahs name within it is far from haraam.

If what you were saying is true then forming some means of Halaal relationship would be virtually impossible unless done via a consensual arranged method, which we all know isn't the only way a halal relationship can be formed.

Let's not confuse culture with religion. What is Haraam is clear and what is Halal is clear. Trying to declare something Haraam when it isn't is called shirk.

Let's all relax and eat Iftaar. Amen.
Subhan'Allah = Glorious is God

Masha'Allah = Through the will of God~

Insha'Allah = If God wills it

Astaghfir'Allah = I seek forgiveness from God

Alhamdol'Allah = Praise and thanks be to God.

I know this because Arabic is my mother tongue.

Really? That's so cool!
Original post by Zamestaneh
In Islam, fasting is not just about food and drink, but also character and manners, and part of this is through careful and limited interaction with the opposite sex

Really? Out of curosity, I hope you don't mind me asking but what is wrong with interacting with the opposite sex while you're fasting and does this include your mother, sister, female cousin etc.
I was watching a clip about a debate on whether men and women should sit together, something along those lines and many Muslims argued no. So is sitting and being around the opposite gender not advised?
Original post by Cherry82
Really? Out of curosity, I hope you don't mind me asking but what is wrong with interacting with the opposite sex while you're fasting and does this include your mother, sister, female cousin etc.
I was watching a clip about a debate on whether men and women should sit together, something along those lines and many Muslims argued no. So is sitting and being around the opposite gender not advised?

There is nothing wrong with being around the opposite sex in public. There is everything wrong with being around the opposite sex in private. (in Islam.)
It is advised to not be around the opposite sex because it can lead to temptations, but let's not confuse advised with haraam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rhythmical
Congratulations on 12 gems! :biggrin: I noticed you had a row of 'too many' gems lol. :tongue:

@That Arab Guy it's so cute you complimented her, I admire you for your confidence.

Thanks!

I've been trying to rep you so many times today but keep getting PRSOM :emo:
I told a hijabi she is "good-looking MashaAllah" in a respectful manner (she genuinely has a good looking face and eyes to be honest)

and she said "I'm fasting, and you should be too so lower your gaze"

I'm done fam. Man wasn't even trying to slide in, I was just being honest.

Tell her again after Ramadan and see if her reply is any different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blondie987
Really? That's so cool!

Mhmm :biggrin:
Original post by samzy21
Tell her again after Ramadan and see if her reply is any different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not interested, so I have no reason to follow through with a second compliment.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Thanks!

I've been trying to rep you so many times today but keep getting PRSOM :emo:

Me too! :biggrin: It's so annoying because I've really enjoyed your posts today and once I click rep, it doesn't let me :frown: I would love a feature on TSR where you could give more rep to someone per day but with an justified reason and one that is quite important. It is probably telling me that I should get off TSR tbh..:tongue:
Let's not try spew'eth the nonsense here. No one on Gods Green earth does not like to be complimented like that by the opposite gender. If I said "damn you is one fine young thanggggg" I would understand how some people can find that distasteful, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with what I said regardless of the time of year.

Spoiler

You would think that bro, but if a girl finds you unattractive, then she'll see you as a creep and a nuisance if you compliment her. And if she finds you attractive, she'll wet her legs. It can be harder to tell in Ramadan though since the Muslimahs are trying to act extra modest, but thats the general gist of things.
Original post by Cherry82

Mother and sister are considered 'Mahrem' which means it is permissible to interact with them. There are others included in the Mahrem too; non-Mahrems are everyone else and contact with them should be limited. Being around non-Mahrems must be taken in a case by case basis as we must be practical, so if for example there are two seats free on a bus, one next to a man and one next to a women, one should sit next to the man; conversely, if one walks into a restaurant and wishes to eat there, there is nothing wrong with him eating there if women are in the restaurant since there is nothing he can do about that, but if he is attracted to someone there, he should avoid looking at them and lower his gaze beyond the necessity of interaction.
This happens to me every SINGLE DAY!

Omg I can't cope lmaooo.

I ignore them. Coz I just find it creepy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mhmm :biggrin:

I wish I could speak Arabic it's such an awesome language
Reply 39
Original post by Profesh
And there, I always thought 'lower your gays' was just a particularly distasteful ISIL rallying cry.

I always thought "lower your gaze" was permission to gawk at their bum

Quick Reply