Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Parliament is sovereign, and it has a responsibility to lead, and govern in the public interest, not blindly follow the country off a cliff.
    You are either ignoring or don't wish to confront the likelihood that the people, who - whether you like it or not - have used their opportunity to vent their views on the overwheening power of big business and the propensity of mainstream politicians to ignore their views, would likely subvert the traditional status quo in parliament by voting massively for UKIP in any general election after a failure to leave the EU, or after an exit which failed to control migration.

ReputationRep:
    Parliament is sovereign, and it has a responsibility to lead, and govern in the public interest, not blindly follow the country off a cliff.
    So does the European Parliament. But that is one step too far for most. So which is it? Democracy for the people or democracy for the executive?

I happen to agree with you but politically you can't call a referendum and then ignore it. That is called dictatorship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    So does the European Parliament. But that is one step too far for most. So which is it? Democracy for the people or democracy for the executive?

I happen to agree with you but politically you can't call a referendum and then ignore it. That is called dictatorship.
    Yes you can, and no, it is not dictatorship.

The referendum was only ever advisory, but also the country is split right down the middle. 52% is a bare, bare majority - if it were closer to 60% in favour of Leave, I would agree politically it would be impossible to rescind.

Further, it's abundantly clear now that Leave lied through their teeth, knowingly, and have since backpedalled on all their promises. Plus, they had no plan whatsoever for how to leave the EU.

It's not dictatorship to save the public from a bad decision made via a glorified opinion poll, barely won, by a side that was generally misled.

ReputationRep:
    It's not dictatorship to save the public from a bad decision made via a glorified opinion poll, barely won, by a side that was generally misled.
    I agree. But it is democracy. We all signed up to it before the vote yet now we have lost, we are complaining it isn't fair. I think rather than moan and complain, we should be wondering why so many people voted leave.

This video sums up my thoughts perfectly.

https://www.facebook.com/JonathanPie...8/?pnref=story

ReputationRep:
    I'm a hardcore remainer but shut up.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. But it is democracy. We all signed up to it before the vote yet now we have lost, we are complaining it isn't fair. I think rather than moan and complain, we should be wondering why so many people voted leave.

This video sums up my thoughts perfectly.

https://www.facebook.com/JonathanPie...8/?pnref=story
    Democracy isn't simply sticking your ballot in a box. It's a process, and it never stops. We should continue speaking out and pushing for change, and it's entirely legitimate for an elected Parliament to take the longer view and not simply be slave to a flawed opinion poll.

This isn't moaning and complaining: this is salvaging a future from this disaster. We didn't lose a poxy football game.

ReputationRep:
    Democracy isn't simply sticking your ballot in a box. It's a process, and it never stops. We should continue speaking out and pushing for change, and it's entirely legitimate for an elected Parliament to take the longer view and not simply be slave to a flawed opinion poll.

This isn't moaning and complaining: this is salvaging a future from this disaster. We didn't lose a poxy football game.
    Yep - agree with all that. But I will guarentee there will be riots on the street if
    a) parliament vote not to invoke article 50 or whatever it is
    b) hold another referendum

Both of those acts would mark to undermine democracy. The country has spoken. That is it.

ReputationRep:
    Yep - agree with all that. But I will guarentee there will be riots on the street if
    a) parliament vote not to invoke article 50 or whatever it is
    b) hold another referendum

Both of those acts would mark to undermine democracy. The country has spoken. That is it.
    Hmm, I'm not so sure. Demonstrations perhaps, and if it were instigated with a solid and overwhelming majority for Leave sure, but Leave would be much more on the defensive second time round as they are exposed as frauds.

Besides, would rather risk riots in the face of saving the country's welfare (and existence) than food and job riots which may come in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    So basically the UK now has FIVE OPTIONS:

a) Remain
    b) EFTA + EEA
    c) EFTA + a set of bilateral trade agreements
    d) Customs Union
    e) Laugh on as the Eurozone collapses and the Euro fails
    Fixed that for you.

ReputationRep:
    Besides, would rather risk riots in the face of saving the country's welfare (and existence) than food and job riots which may come in the future.
    Yes I would actually. The message I take from this referendum is that about half the country are pretty p1ssed off. The other half will be ok Jack whatever happens. We have two political parties in pieces searching for new leadership and a general rise of right wing extremism. Just exactly what is in the country's interest is not necessarily the obvious one.

ReputationRep:
    These false calls for taking back our sovereignty is laughable.

You criticize the EU for taking your democratic rights and values and yet when Westminster is founded on such denials, you do not criticize.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.