Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fantastic Fan)
    When you say front office roles.

What do you meant?

Like Receptionist or Data entry?
    You might want to do a lot more research on what investment banking is before you start considering this career. If you don't even know what the revenue generating roles in banking are and which roles are infrastructure roles, then that's like saying you want to become a doctor without knowing what a heart is.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you for all your points. You should have done this from the start.

Sorry but what do you mean by semi target in point 4. Manchester is Top 40 in the world according to ARWU and QS.

I think a good overall grade from the school will be a good advantage
    I did, but you got butthurt by my first comment so didn't bother reading the others.

It doesn't send as many people into IB vs Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Imperial and Warwick. Don't get me wrong the uni is alright, but you won't get the same level of leeway as a target uni kid would - i.e. the target kid could be slightly less impressive CV-wise and still make it through to interview.

Uni rankings mean bugger all in finance bro.

A solid grade from a decent uni is the baseline - it isn't distinctive in and of itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your points. You should have done this from the start.

Sorry but what do you mean by semi target in point 4. Manchester is Top 40 in the world according to ARWU and QS.

I think a good overall grade from the school will be a good advantage
    Investment banks target the following universities: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick. They get around 70% of their graduate front office hires from these universities. Most of the 30% are from semi target universities, of which Manchester is one. You are less likely to get a summer internship if you go to a semi-target compared to someone going to a target, unless you are a very very strong applicant. Since you don't even know what a front office role is, as of now, you aren't exactly a strong applicant.

ReputationRep:
    apply as a grad for internships, do a masters in finance

ReputationRep:
    > very presitigious university stated multiple times by OP, assumed its Oxbridge
    > Manchester revealed
    > gg :/

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.