The Student Room Group

So which degree is better for an Investment Banker

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fantastic Fan
When you say front office roles.

What do you meant?

Like Receptionist or Data entry?

You might want to do a lot more research on what investment banking is before you start considering this career. If you don't even know what the revenue generating roles in banking are and which roles are infrastructure roles, then that's like saying you want to become a doctor without knowing what a heart is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you for all your points. You should have done this from the start.

Sorry but what do you mean by semi target in point 4. Manchester is Top 40 in the world according to ARWU and QS.

I think a good overall grade from the school will be a good advantage

I did, but you got butthurt by my first comment so didn't bother reading the others.

It doesn't send as many people into IB vs Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Imperial and Warwick. Don't get me wrong the uni is alright, but you won't get the same level of leeway as a target uni kid would - i.e. the target kid could be slightly less impressive CV-wise and still make it through to interview.

Uni rankings mean bugger all in finance bro.

A solid grade from a decent uni is the baseline - it isn't distinctive in and of itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for all your points. You should have done this from the start.

Sorry but what do you mean by semi target in point 4. Manchester is Top 40 in the world according to ARWU and QS.

I think a good overall grade from the school will be a good advantage

Investment banks target the following universities: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick. They get around 70% of their graduate front office hires from these universities. Most of the 30% are from semi target universities, of which Manchester is one. You are less likely to get a summer internship if you go to a semi-target compared to someone going to a target, unless you are a very very strong applicant. Since you don't even know what a front office role is, as of now, you aren't exactly a strong applicant.
apply as a grad for internships, do a masters in finance
> very presitigious university stated multiple times by OP, assumed its Oxbridge
> Manchester revealed
> gg :/
I don't really have much work experience, but have interned at a few banks and go to a really top top university, I can't give it away here.

What uni do you go to? Theres only 4 "top top" unis which are Oxbridge, imperial or UCl
Original post by shivsaransh1
What uni do you go to? Theres only 4 "top top" unis which are Oxbridge, imperial or UCl

Lmao what. Why is UCL there.
Original post by anonuser99
Lmao what. Why is UCL there.

Because it's ranked alongside ICL in the QR rankings as 10th and was ranked higher than ICL last year? Objectively its a good university.
Original post by shivsaransh1
Because it's ranked alongside ICL in the QR rankings as 10th and was ranked higher than ICL last year? Objectively its a good university.

Sure but in terms of finance it's a low target. LSE fits much better into that list. Also why are you replying to a 4 year old thread 😂
Original post by anonuser99
Sure but in terms of finance it's a low target. LSE fits much better into that list. Also why

I was talking about overall prestige. My bad I didn't realise it was 4 years old. Although my comment may help someone who stumbles onto this thread looking for an opinion?
But it doesn't even matter because it was revealed by someone else that OP goes to manchester.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending