Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow Hunters)
    I am just very confused as to how a banker who went to a private school and is from a fairly posh background can be seen as an advocate for the common man? He's NOT! These people in the EU parliament worked hard most of their lives to get to where they are now and he undermines them when he in actuality is just like them and is no different.
    I do agree with this and there is a disappointing trend of seeing working class people vote against their interests because of the efforts of very wealthy right-wing demagogues. I do not agree that the EU parliament is made up in a meritocratic fashion with normal working class people getting there on merit one little bit and if the progressive left were to show the working classes some level of empathy, to even resognise their humanity, demagogues like Farage would be a blown out of the water.

Farage is medicine, the left has to change and I really hope we learn. Corbyn getting ****ed by BoJo would be the pill we need.

ReputationRep:
    I was remain but he did well to aay still the EU is oblivious, not changing. More will leave but they are in denial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gora The Xplorer)
    I do agree with this and there is a disappointing trend of seeing working class people vote against their interests because of the efforts of very wealthy right-wing demagogues. I do not agree that the EU parliament is made up in a meritocratic fashion with normal working class people getting there on merit one little bit and if the progressive left were to show the working classes some level of empathy, to even resognise their humanity, demagogues like Farage would be a blown out of the water.

Farage is medicine, the left has to change and I really hope we learn. Corbyn getting ****ed by BoJo would be the pill we need.
    Agreed, though the EU parliament isn't any worse than Westminster in the sense that it's dominated by the wealthy and I find it odd nobody has mentioned that the House of Lords is completely unelected and you'll struggle to find someone who isn't a millionaire in there! Though, I'm aware the members are purposely experts in business etc but still why hasn't this been in the debate? And as much as I like Corbyn, I am not a fan of him this week, he has to go or BoJo wins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    When has he ever been a banker? He was a commodity broker before he entered politics.
    It's probably true I was wrong about him being a banker however it doesn't make my argument mute, he had offshore funds to evade tax and clearly is not the common man everyone thinks he is coming from a posh background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow Hunters)
    Agreed, though the EU parliament isn't any worse than Westminster in the sense that it's dominated by the wealthy and I find it odd nobody has mentioned that the House of Lords is completely unelected and you'll struggle to find someone who isn't a millionaire in there! Though, I'm aware the members are purposely experts in business etc but still why hasn't this been in the debate? And as much as I like Corbyn, I am not a fan of him this week, he has to go or BoJo wins.
    BoJo is a shady character, very right-wing

(Original post by SMEGGGY)
    I was remain but he did well to aay still the EU is oblivious, not changing. More will leave but they are in denial.Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is exactly how I'm feeling. A united Europe would have been best for all in the long-term, but the people at the very top, Juncker particularly are so up his own asses it made only one outcome inevitable and more will follow unless they go through a period of real introspection. Martin Schultz of Germany particularly has softened his stance on the Brits because he knows just how important we are as part of a European partnership.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gora The Xplorer)
    BoJo is a shady character, very right-wing
    Oh yeah, he's very clever and is consistently underestimated by people because they think he's a jolly buffoon. I don't like DC but gosh, I miss him already at the prospect of Boris as leader or Hunt! :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Have to admit I'm liking him more and more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    We need to be grown up and leave on good terms. At the end of the day we still want to do business with the EU even as we leave, pissing them off and insulting them won't be good for business.

We wouldn't go to America or China, take the piss out of them and then expect them to make a fair trade deal that would benefit us.

Farage just needs to grow up.
    Exactly, he mocks, gloats and sarcastically claps while waving his union flag like a smug little teenager, and then asks them for a 'sensible, tariff free deal', you don't walk into someone's house, insult and take the piss out of them and then ask them for their help or money. We need to be on good terms with the EU for the exit negotiations, and pissing off the other MEPs, while maybe funny to some, isn't a productive way of going about things and he's a clown who needs to grow up and represent his country in a more professional manner.

And he says to them 'you've never done a proper job in your lives', this coming from an elected MEP who has barely attended the European Parliament in 17 years, MEPs are elected to do a job to serve as representative in the European Parliament, yet he's regularly chosen not to do that purely out of petty spite, he's not in any position to accuse others of not working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    It was a brilliant speech! I loved how he said to the eu that they laughed at him and how the tables had turned in the 17 years. The ultimate underdog victory. Well done mr farage you have done the nation proud and this referendum is solely due to your campaigning
    I don't know much about speeches but I would have thought that any speech that was largely predictable can hardbly be brilliant.

I would have preferred him to be magnanimous . But I do take on board what Gora said in a previous post.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't we the ones trying to get a good deal off them?

Farage clearly doing his best to make sure that we get the worst deal possible. No wonder Boris and co are distancing themselves from him.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.