Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Rooney retire from International Football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well if Messi announces his retirement from international football after losing the Copa America final to Chile then using the same logic the whole England team should probably retire after that showing against Iceland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    No. I think retiring from the international team is the height of arrogance.

It is an honour to be asked to play for your country and if you are asked, you should play.

It isn't up to Rooney if he plays for England again or if he stays captain. It is up to the new manager. If the new manager decides that rooney is an asset to England, then who is rooney to disagree with him?

I think Rooney's response was classy. He is available if called upon as anyone should be.
    Yeah that makes sense and I suppose it comes down to perspective. Whilst you would see his retirement as arrogant, I would see it as a gracious act.

There was definitely something strange with him yesterday though. The fire that he usually has, or at least was more prominent when he was younger, was not there at all. I would have been far happier if he had started shouting at everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    Yeah that makes sense and I suppose it comes down to perspective. Whilst you would see his retirement as arrogant, I would see it as a gracious act.

There was definitely something strange with him yesterday though. The fire that he usually has, or at least was more prominent when he was younger, was not there at all. I would have been far happier if he had started shouting at everyone.
    I think international retirement is an attention seeking act. The gracious thing to do is to accept not being selected when the time comes. Retirement is jumping the gun to save face.

ReputationRep:
    Lol during the second goal Rooney was marking players because actual defenders were lost somewhere else. At least he actually scored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Lol during the second goal Rooney was marking players because actual defenders were lost somewhere else. At least he actually scored.
    I had rage quit temporarily at that point, but I'm not surprised. As a Manchester United fan, I do not trust Smalling one bit!

ReputationRep:
    I had rage quit temporarily at that point, but I'm not surprised. As a Manchester United fan, I do not trust Smalling one bit!
    United fan here too. I actually think Smalling didn't play as bad throughout the rest of the game.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's unfair to single out Rooney for this loss because this was due to the whole squad underperforming. England as a whole didn't look like they were trying to make a breakthrough or look like they were trying to play inventively to create chances for most of the match. However prior to this match Rooney was one of England's best players in the group stages whereas players like Kane have had a monstrosity of a tournament and I'm surprised no one even mentioned him. I do however agree that Rooney should take some responsibility for the loss as he is the captain but didn't look it tonight but he shouldn't retire from international football because he still has plenty to offer for England. In my opinion Roy is most at fault because he just didn't have the bottle to keep the big players on the bench, not once did he drop Hart and he continued with Sterling despite having players like Vardy and Rashford who both clearly had much more passion and were much more willing to go at the Iceland defence and do something worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    United fan here too. I actually think Smalling didn't play as bad throughout the rest of the game.
    No I guess he didn't, it's just he never inspires confidence for me. He isn't a bad defender and he has his moments, but I think if United had a couple of decent defenders then he would be on the bench as a 3rd defender. He definitely improved under Van Gaal mind you.

(Original post by Samii123)
    I think it's unfair to single out Rooney for this loss because this was due to the whole squad underperforming. England as a whole didn't look like they were trying to make a breakthrough or look like they were trying to play inventively to create chances for most of the match. However prior to this match Rooney was one of England's best players in the group stages whereas players like Kane have had a monstrosity of a tournament and I'm surprised no one even mentioned him. I do however agree that Rooney should take some responsibility for the loss as he is the captain but didn't look it tonight but he shouldn't retire from international football because he still has plenty to offer for England. In my opinion Roy is most at fault because he just didn't have the bottle to keep the big players on the bench, not once did he drop Hart and he continued with Sterling despite having players like Vardy and Rashford who both clearly had much more passion and were much more willing to go at the Iceland defence and do something worthwhile.
    Yes, Kane was pretty terrible throughout and a massive letdown. Something that I didn't understand though was why the hell did Kane keep taking freekicks? It was like he was inviting more hate on himself

After England's loss yesterday, which suffice to say was extremely painful to watch, much of the focus has been on Roy Hodgson's resignation and the collective failure of the team. However, there hasn't been any real question posed towards the position of Wayne Rooney, the England captain.

The 2006 World Cup saw the resignation of the captaincy by David Beckham after a typical defeat to Portugal. Losing to Iceland is much worse than Portugal by any stretch, but Rooney has told everyone that he will continue. As captain he is supposed to inspire the players on the pitch, but yesterday there was none of that.

He is commonly referred to as England's best player, but that simply isn't the case anymore. Is he becoming a hindrance to the nation's performances? Is it unfair to blame the loss on the captain? Who would replace him?
    Rooney is so overrated lol

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be fussed either way, he's probably got only one more tournament in him and too many of our players are nervous and just look to play it to him (like most international teams where there is a talisman such as Portugal and Sweden) rather than influencing the game themselves. The only negative to him retiring would be Kane would still be taking the set pieces (I mean he must have had about five direct free kicks, five or six corners and a couple of indirect free kicks and made pigs ears of them all yet he was still taking them). Sturridge and Vardy have scored a few but there aren't enough players scoring goals for England besides Rooney, the likes of Sterling, Walcott, Lallana, Barkley, Milner etc. should have way more international goals to their name than they do have and when Wayne retires they will be under huge pressure to score more.

ReputationRep:
    He seemed to be getting very frustrated in the second half to me, he doesn't have the coolness under pressure and ability to inspire the team as a captain IMO, He wasn't awful, but it would probably be an idea for someone else to get the captaincy at least.

Thing for me was we don't seem to play like we actually want to win, no hunger/drive, players seem to casually walk it when they're off the ball at times. I don't know if it's arrogance because we assume we''re somehow automatically better than others and then a feeling of nonchalance creeps in when we're down to a side who don't even have a professional league. I mean it was so refreshing when Rashford came on, but...he came on at the last few minutes, why wasn't he on at HT, or say 70 mins at the least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    He seemed to be getting very frustrated in the second half to me, he doesn't have the coolness under pressure and ability to inspire the team as a captain IMO, He wasn't awful, but it would probably be an idea for someone else to get the captaincy at least.

Thing for me was we don't seem to play like we actually want to win, no hunger/drive, players seem to casually walk it when they're off the ball at times. I don't know if it's arrogance because we assume we''re somehow automatically better than others and then a feeling of nonchalance creeps in when we're down to a side who don't even have a professional league. I mean it was so refreshing when Rashford came on, but...he came on at the last few minutes, why wasn't he on at HT, or say 70 mins at the least.
    That is what annoyed me the most... when you're young and you play football aren't you taught to move in and around space? It is so frustrating when they are just strolling around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    I know,the whole thing was a shambles.Kane shots weren`t even landing in the same postcode as where the goal was.You might well have put a tree in the place of Hart,he was awful in that match.
    LOL @ replacing Hart with a tree. I think if Rashford came on for the second half - it might have been a different story. To tell us, the fans that Rooney has finally found his comfortable position is ludacris and a complete joke!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    He's been retired from all forms of football for about four years now.
    Despite scoring near 40 goals in 11/12 and over 20 in 13/14? Ok then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    Despite scoring near 40 goals in 11/12 and over 20 in 13/14? Ok then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He scored 19 in 13/14 and the end of 11/12 season was four years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Kane just looked knackered, to be honest. Similarly with Müller for Germany, and Lewandowski for Poland.

I'd keep Rooney as a CM, though. He's still got much to offer the team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    He scored 19 in 13/14 and the end of 11/12 season was four years ago.
    Over 20 when international goals were included. Anyway, he was our best player as recently as 14/15, and last season was our best player post-Xmas until he got injured.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't necessarily say that he should retire as England should keep him for the sake of providing experience and a aspect of nurturing for the younger players. What England needs is structure and a system of football that they can adhere to and play well in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    Over 20 when international goals were included. Anyway, he was our best player as recently as 14/15, and last season was our best player post-Xmas until he got injured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How long was that post Xmas run?

ReputationRep:
    I've found the ideal retirement home for him.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.