The Student Room Group

RAF Medical(s)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HOPEFULPILOT
Ok great :smile: thanks for the help

Also can you guys please confirm for me that the T6 texan is due to replace the Tucano during fats jet training? as i read this somewhere but cant find concrete evidence XD

Google 'MFTS', you'll find lots of information on what's planned for the flying training pipelines.

And you can then know what 'MFTS' stands for and what it means for you as a prospective candidate.
Original post by Drewski
Google 'MFTS', you'll find lots of information on what's planned for the flying training pipelines.

And you can then know what 'MFTS' stands for and what it means for you as a prospective candidate.

thanks just had a quick browse and looks really useful!

WOW the grob 120 prefect looks so much better than the tutor :')
Hello again,

So I was declared Fit on my Capita medical and i was wondering if anyone knows how long it usually takes for this to be processed by Capita/Cranwell so that I can get my OASC date. I have called my AFCO and they have been a bit 'wish washy' over how long and just told me that since I passed my medical, my application now belongs to Cranwell and not the AFCO. Also can anyone tell me whether i will now be required to complete a MS-FT as part of my fitness assessment or is it still a 2.4km run as this information is contradictory on the RAF website.

Thanks in advance for the help everyone :smile:

(also if anyone has any questions about the application process up to this point please feel free to ask and I will help in anyway I can)

Hello,
I have my medical this week and I was wondering do you find out the result there and then or how long do you have to wait for?

Hope alls going well for you.

:smile:
Original post by Naomih200
Hello,
I have my medical this week and I was wondering do you find out the result there and then or how long do you have to wait for?

Hope alls going well for you.

:smile:

I was told on the day that I had been declared fit but I don't know whether this is common practice or whether i just had a nice doctor as I received a letter about 2 weeks letter confirming my result.

Hope this helps
I was told on the day that I had been declared fit but I don't know whether this is common practice or whether i just had a nice doctor as I received a letter about 2 weeks letter confirming my result.

Hope this helps

Thankyou. A couple more questions...
What did you do in the medical?
How long did you wait till returning to the OASC?

Hi Naomih,

It's a basic medical;
Height & weight are measured,
Lung capacity check,
Urine sample,
Eyesight test,
Hearing test

I believe a quick check of your medical history is included.

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basic medical like 0902 said, you also fill out a form to declare any previous medical problems like Asthma, broken bones etc.

I did my medical at the very end of June and attended OASC in early September.

Hope this helps
Just passed my medical. For when I go to OASC, is it recommended to have arranged a working visit or some sort of communication with a professional in my trade?
Basic medical like 0902 said, you also fill out a form to declare any previous medical problems like Asthma, broken bones etc.

I did my medical at the very end of June and attended OASC in early September.

Hope this helps

Hoping to fly the F35B?
Original post by cbreef
Hoping to fly the F35B?

nope, my aim is to fly the Typhoon. But failing that I would love to fly an A-400M
nope, my aim is to fly the Typhoon. But failing that I would love to fly an A-400M

So why not the F35 then?
Original post by cbreef
So why not the F35 then?

not that I would get a choice anyway, but there is just something that interests me more about the typhoon than the F-35, couldn't tell you what that was but it just does.
not that I would get a choice anyway, but there is just something that interests me more about the typhoon than the F-35, couldn't tell you what that was but it just does.

Them 9G manoeuvres innit :mmm:
Reply 33
Original post by Drewski

You'll be up against people who can do 2.4k in under 8 minutes, so scraping by in 10.29 won't look good in comparison.

Just to confirm for you, at OASC you will do the MSFT. You will not do the 2.4km run (OFA) until you start IOT. As for the times stated above by drewski, I can assure you that you probably won't be competing with people who do sub 8 minute 2.4k runs. During my 6 months on IOT and from watching 5 different squadrons pass through, I know of only 1 person who ever got sub 8 minutes. Anything sub 10 in the OFA and 11+ on the MSFT will put you very securely in the top half of your squadron
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lekzz
Just to confirm for you, at OASC you will do the MSFT. You will not do the 2.4km run (OFA) until you start IOT. As for the times stated above by drewski, I can assure you that you probably won't be competing with people who do sub 8 minute 2.4k runs. During my 6 months on IOT and from watching 5 different squadrons pass through, I know of only 1 person who ever got sub 8 minutes. Anything sub 10 in the OFA and 11+ on the MSFT will put you very securely in the top half of your squadron

I didn't say there would be lots, but it did happen.

And really, sub-10 is top half?! I never beat the 9 minute mark and I was definitely lower half for my sqns. If that's the norm now, then fair enough (and kinda wishing I had my time over, that would have been far more tolerable...), but it certainly wasn't only a few years ago.

Edit: is it simply a consequence of having fewer people, I wonder? What would have been a (slightly) below average score is now above average?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Drewski
I didn't say there would be lots, but it did happen.

And really, sub-10 is top half?! I never beat the 9 minute mark and I was definitely lower half for my sqns. If that's the norm now, then fair enough (and kinda wishing I had my time over, that would have been far more tolerable...), but it certainly wasn't only a few years ago.

Edit: is it simply a consequence of having fewer people, I wonder? What would have been a (slightly) below average score is now above average?

I'm inclined to concur with you there Drewski. I remember being 5th or 6th in the bunch with an 8:20 in training. Fast forward a few years where I didn't have quite as much incentive to thrash myself and I was still coming in the top 10 with a 9:30 time, and that was versus teenagers who hadn't spent a few years in Germany drinking Wobbly and double tapping tax free straights!

Quick Reply

Latest