Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Remainers break off contact with family over Brexit vote difference Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thutmose-III)
    It's true that most Remainers probably wouldn't cut off contact with their family, but almost all of the vitriol I've seen subsequent to the vote has originated on the Remain side.

I can't remember any election or democratic ballot I've witnessed that saw as much hysteria, vitriol and self-entitlement from the losing side.
    Some of the Polish and Italian people I know on Facebook are really insulting the Brits, some of them aren't employed and might have to leave but it's a bit

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...flict-betrayal

Fark me. I really "like" the woman who said she will now not invite her uncle to her wedding because he voted Leave. Oh and the woman who said

If this is your response to a Leave vote then you have serious mental and family relationship problems that a Remain vote would be unlikely to remedy. I'm genuinely shocked at how the level of hysteria from the Remain camp grows daily and is manifesting itself in increasingly bizarre and outlandish ways.
    :facepalm:

I'm sure its only a minority of Remain voters. My friend voted Remain and after a reasonable, sensible discussion we have jointly decided that we will be walking up Pendle Hill together as usual. These people are shooting themselves in the foot by cutting off family members

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Now now. This is a lie, isn't it?
    I doubt they're lying. If I went into town and declared my support for a brexit I'd end up leaving by stretcher. It's a really messed up area.

ReputationRep:
    Your comment isn't entirely clear; are you claiming that I misquoted the article?

You question my decision to raise the fact people are making these comments, and then go and confirm you suffer from the same mental problems as they do.

What exactly is the basis of your complaint against my OP?
    It's a mental problem to not want to spend my time with racists? Okay buddy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    That is meaningless - sorry.

You've pretty much ignored what they said because you know that you're being misleading to promote your own agenda.
    A bit like The Guardian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shumaya)
    It's a mental problem to not want to spend my time with racists? Okay buddy.
    You probably do have mental and family relationship issues if you'd cut off contact with your family members if they had racist views. I'm guessing you're not very close with your family if you could so easily imagine cutting them off, or else you possess a hysterical disposition that inclines you to make preposterous, exaggerated comments.

ReputationRep:
    I think people are taking it too far now. Like seriously....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    I think people are taking it too far now. Like seriously....
    A predictable outcome from such a tight result...

This Referendum has brought out the worst from both sides.

ReputationRep:
    People need to chill. My mum voted remain, my dad and I voted leave. Idek what my other family members voted. No hard feelings around at all, just healthy conversation from different points of view..

ReputationRep:
    It's gone properly weird, I've seen customers in shops trying to start heated political debates with the shop workers - butting into other peoples political conversations etc...

dunno if this is what Scotland was like for their referendum :unsure: but I don't like it and want everyone to start ignoring each other in public again as usual.

ReputationRep:
    Without having read the article, it seems wrong to me to blame this incident on Remainers. It takes two sides to break up a family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Without having read the article, it seems wrong to me to blame this incident on Remainers. It takes two sides to break up a family.
    Ha.

No.

ReputationRep:
    You probably do have mental and family relationship issues if you'd cut off contact with your family members if they had racist views. I'm guessing you're not very close with your family if you could so easily imagine cutting them off, or else you possess a hysterical disposition that inclines you to make preposterous, exaggerated comments.
    Nope, my relationship with my family is great. Partly because they don't hold ridiculous, racist views

I nearly voted leave and some members of my extended family actually did vote leave. Their reasons were not racist though, so we continue to enjoy a close relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shumaya)
    I nearly voted leave and some members of my extended family actually did vote leave. Their reasons were not racist though, so we continue to enjoy a close relationship.
    How interesting, given previously your basic presumption was voting Leave was itself an act of racism and that people could only have made that decision on the basis of racism and xenophobia

ReputationRep:
    How interesting, given previously your basic presumption was voting Leave was itself an act of racism and that people could only have made that decision on the basis of racism and xenophobia
    Can you quote where I said that voting leave was an act of racism?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be surprised if if remain won then a lot of leavers would be calling us traitors or unpatriotic people or whatever, considering that was the kind of **** I kept hearing before the vote, and in fact I have had rifts with several family members because of this (not as in shut me out or anything, but still) and lost a few friends (well, TBF they weren't that close to me, but still).

Politics by it's very nature is a divisive subject, which is why I generally don't like talking about it in person or on the internet non-anonymously.

ReputationRep:
    If someone believes their future has been "wrecked" by this vote then they're an hysteric who needs professional help.
    Oh ffs

There are people whose whole futures have had to be put on hold indefinitely, families that aren't sure if they'll be able to remain in the same country.

ReputationRep:
    You probably do have mental and family relationship issues
    You clearly do. Where on earth do you find so much time to waste away talking **** on a student forum? Get Help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Now now. This is a lie, isn't it?
    You have got to be kidding me. I'm mature enough to acknowledge there has been hate from leave voters but are you claiming remainers are innocent? You are a pathetic joke. Just look on social media, the vile from remainers has overwhelmingly shadowed anything said on social media from leave voters. If Twitter votes it would be 90% remain 10% leave. Look at riots in London, remainers had signs saying "white men are cancer", there are remainers in masks and covered, if remainers are so innocent why are they covering their face?

I supported remain but part of me is happy leave won so we see the true face of you people. Death threats have been thrown around, don't pretend otherwise or you are just justifying why leave won.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    A predictable outcome from such a tight result...

This Referendum has brought out the worst from both sides.
    Exactly, I agree. I think everyone should remember that we're all in this together therefore dividing ourselves would only make things worse. To any one I may have offended in the heat of the moment, I'm truly sorry x I think the nation needs to kiss and hug. I don't blame people though as so much is a stake for many people, businesses.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.