Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Compulsory Military Service for the Unemployed Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kieran1996)
    Firstly please do not be rude and disrespectful.

In the wake of the EU exit, with these "immigrants" leaving and giving up their jobs I would like to suggest an idea for those who will still be unemployed.

Those who are not mentally or physically ill, out of work for a year, will have to join the Army / RAF / Navy. Effectively pre-war conscription.

Thoughts???
    a more practical plan would be to use these people to generate energy. the French company EDF are not going to build the desperately needed new power station at Hinckley Point now that we have destroyed our relationship with Europe.
    a simple array of exercise bikes would generate enough power for a city the size of Manchester.
    as a result these people would lose weight, contribute to the National Budget and earn their benefits.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    a more practical plan would be to use these people to generate energy. the French company EDF are not going to build the desperately needed new power station at Hinckley Point now that we have destroyed our relationship with Europe.
    a simple array of exercise bikes would generate enough power for a city the size of Manchester.
    as a result these people would lose weight, contribute to the National Budget and earn their benefits.*
    well well

I could see that working, just put some British soaps in front of them on large TVs and it would work

ReputationRep:
    well well

I could see that working, just put some British soaps in front of them on large TVs and it would work
    it is a Win-WIn situation. *
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I agree to military service, but not as a forced career option for people.

My opinion is to have a 1 year Military Service like they have in Germany, Singapore, Israel etc.

This should be done at the age of 18 after Secondary Education before university. All citizens must enroll in this service. Those, who for health reasons, cannot enroll would have to enroll in a Social Service programme.

Both schemes will be paid. At the end of the scheme, people confirm whether they want to progress through the system or leave and go to University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    I agree to military service, but not as a forced career option for people.

My opinion is to have a 1 year Military Service like they have in Germany, Singapore, Israel etc.

This should be done at the age of 18 after Secondary Education before university. All citizens must enroll in this service. Those, who for health reasons, cannot enroll would have to enroll in a Social Service programme.

Both schemes will be paid. At the end of the scheme, people confirm whether they want to progress through the system or leave and go to University.
    You've given my idea grace

But seriously yes, this is a much better way to do it and kinda what I meant but incorrectly said

I feel we would all benefit from the experience and also if required have some training
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

But seriously yes, this is a much better way to do it and kinda what I meant but incorrectly said

I feel we would all benefit from the experience and also if required have some training
    Happy to help.

On a serious note. I think that people will benefit from such a service. As long as they are not conscripted to fight against their will, I am open to this 1 year service plan.

I also think that national service (military or social) will benefit people and may improve the strength of national cohesion.

ReputationRep:

What's stopping you from joining up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Happy to help.

On a serious note. I think that people will benefit from such a service. As long as they are not conscripted to fight against their will, I am open to this 1 year service plan.

I also think that national service (military or social) will benefit people and may improve the strength of national cohesion.
    Yes I take back the whole conscription thing... oops.

Or if it could be integrated into education that would be great.

While I was at secondary school I was in the CCF and it helped me develop a lot. Also have lots of good memories from it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    What's stopping you from joining up?
    Well I have a job and my point was to the unemployed so... yeah

ReputationRep:
    Firstly please do not be rude and disrespectful.

In the wake of the EU exit, with these "immigrants" leaving and giving up their jobs I would like to suggest an idea for those who will still be unemployed.

Those who are not mentally or physically ill, out of work for a year, will have to join the Army / RAF / Navy. Effectively pre-war conscription.

Thoughts???
    Absolutely up for it, so you can contribute to your country.

ReputationRep:
    Well I have a job and my point was to the unemployed so... yeah
    So it's going to "benefit people and may improve the strength of national cohesion", but only for the unemployed? You're too good for it?

ReputationRep:
    Bring back national service maybe we should all do a short stint there. It would toughen people up and Instill a sense of public service

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Absolutely up for it, so you can contribute to your country.
    exactly, although Drewski did highlight a valid point about finance

If it could be financed and managed it would be better than allowing them to get money for "nothing"

ReputationRep:
    So it's going to "benefit people and may improve the strength of national cohesion", but only for the unemployed? You're too good for it?
    When on earth did I say the quoted parts???

Too good for the military? No I am not

So what is your idea on how people who have been unemployed for years and have claimed benefits should be dealt with?

The aim of this is to find something useful for people who haven't worked for years and claim benefits other than a) allow them to continue or b) catch them out and stop their benefits and just let them suffer on the street

ReputationRep:
    When on earth did I say the quoted parts???

Too good for the military? No I am not

So what is your idea on how people who have been unemployed for years and have claimed benefits should be dealt with?

The aim of this is to find something useful for people who haven't worked for years and claim benefits other than a) allow them to continue or b) catch them out and stop their benefits and just let them suffer on the street
    You agreed with the post that said it.

So you agree that it'll help cohesion. But only if some people do it? Cohesion means everything working together - which means everyone should do it.

Training courses. Vocational courses. Public service. Council service. Put them into the community. All of those are better ideas.

This situation is not a military problem, it does not require a military solution. Nobody in the military wants it, the military (hell, the country) cannot afford it. No government would ever sign it off.

I'm willing to bet that everyone agreeing with this idea wouldn't dare join up themselves. It's all right for other people. But not them.

ReputationRep:
    You agreed with the post that said it.

So you agree that it'll help cohesion. But only if some people do it? Cohesion means everything working together - which means everyone should do it.

Training courses. Vocational courses. Public service. Council service. Put them into the community. All of those are better ideas.

This situation is not a military problem, it does not require a military solution. Nobody in the military wants it, the military (hell, the country) cannot afford it. No government would ever sign it off.

I'm willing to bet that everyone agreeing with this idea wouldn't dare join up themselves. It's all right for other people. But not them.
    Ohhhh I see

Well if I was unemployed for a year I'd be fine with this

A year is more than enough time to find a job if you don't want to do it

I think it's clear that the initial idea was wrong, but I guess what we all agree now is to put people who are unemployed for a year into the services which need them, and if they don't like it then they can find a better more suitable job for themself

ReputationRep:
    I think it's clear that the initial idea was wrong, but I guess what we all agree now is to put people who are unemployed for a year into the services which need them, and if they don't like it then they can find a better more suitable job for themself
    There's the key.

Put simply, the military does not need them.

ReputationRep:
    There's the key.

Put simply, the military does not need them.
    Well I am glad this conversation has lead to a positive outcome.

If only the leaders of our country could hold such discussions.

ReputationRep:
    It comes from a time when we had umpteen colonies all over the place, not realistic for today's world.

Besides why would you risk turning away willing volunteers for people who are forced to be there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    It comes from a time when we had umpteen colonies all over the place, not realistic for today's world.

Besides why would you risk turning away willing volunteers for people who are forced to be there?
    Well I guess the system would need to be points based. But I feel like rather than put them to the military, after seeing what people have said so far, it makes more sense to put them in services which need them. Even if they hate it, hopefully they'll gain some skills and it might motivate them to find a better job.

At the minute some of those have no "incentive" to go looking for a job as they know they've cracked the benefit system.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.