Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand people our age who are in such a mad rush to get engaged/married/pregnant, you have plenty of time for that! Enjoy not having many big commitments tying you down. Once you're married with babies and a mortgage you lose so much freedom whereas getting a chemistry degree from Oxford opens doors. I would definitely rather be in your position than be getting married etc.

(Original post by Shazen)
    Yeah same here, just like I'm wishing I was in Oxford. If I had grades like yours my life would be complete I'm not even joking!

I felt the same way when I was in your position so I think we're both going to have to learn not to base our happiness on external achievements because even if you achieve them (and I do hope you get into Oxford ) it won't guarantee happiness! (As I am painfully learning haha)

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Think you are being a bit pathetic tbh.
    I only mean that in s lightly harsh way because you are being over pessimistic.
    You can still have a fantastic career with a 2:1 from Oxford and it will open doors for you.

You might wnat to look at other people less fortunate than you and get some perspective.
    Wait till someone dies, you lose a limb or a child and then you might see others bear far greater burdens and deal with things. It might stop you feeling sorry for yourself and count your blessings. Keep things in perspective and if you feel you made a mistake learn from it and try to avoid in future.
    Thank you, I do agree with you I'm an overly pessimistic person generally but you're right when you say others have far greater burdens and I should count my blessings! Self-pity is the ugliest of emotions which is why I went anon to say this Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I felt the same way when I was in your position so I think we're both going to have to learn not to base our happiness on external achievements because even if you achieve them (and I do hope you get into Oxford ) it won't guarantee happiness! (As I am painfully learning haha)

Thank you, I do agree with you I'm an overly pessimistic person generally but you're right when you say others have far greater burdens and I should count my blessings! Self-pity is the ugliest of emotions which is why I went anon to say this Thanks again
    Don't worry everything will be fine! oh and trust me I'll only get in Oxford when the moon turns blue haha.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Trust me you will get a great chance at great jobs that many others will not. You cna then make a success of that. There are only a few careers where it might make a difference. there are more imprtant things in life like findining someone you love, having a family etc.

(Original post by theBranicAc)
    degrees are pointless and mean nothing, its all about work experience

but that doesn't mean you can't get pregnant or get a car, and also a 2:1 degree in chemistry if fairly useful

stop being permestic and look at what you have, instead of comparing yourselve
    Your first point is exactly why I made the thread I know it doesn't mean I can't, just knowing myself I will find it difficult and that worries me
    and if only it were that simple! Thanks for your response

(Original post by infairverona)
    I don't understand people our age who are in such a mad rush to get engaged/married/pregnant, you have plenty of time for that! Enjoy not having many big commitments tying you down. Once you're married with babies and a mortgage you lose so much freedom whereas getting a chemistry degree from Oxford opens doors. I would definitely rather be in your position than be getting married etc.
    It's a sort of peer pressure isn't it? I'm Asian so basically everyone I know is in a relationship of some sort and it's easy to feel left behind. You're def right though, I have plenty of time, thank you

How do I deal with being disappointed in what I've achieved so far?

I go to Oxford and will be graduating with a 2.1 (still a year to go but I've done 75% of my degree). I know it's a good achievement but it feels so useless in terms of what my friends/family have achieved- one of them is married and is pregnant, another is graduating this year with a first, all the others have jobs and are at uni and have cars, a cousin has travelled the world because he's a trained pilot and I don't have any of that

I know it's pathetic to compare myself to others but what they have is actually useful in the real world while my degree by itself is useless. I have a feeling I'll have a hard time doing things like get a job and learn to drive and get married etc because all I've ever been good at is academia.

Any advice?
    You're not a failure. The one who is a failure is the one who gave up academic prowess to waste and destroy her life being a breeder.*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.