Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

At least 11 countries looking for Trade Deal... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    Looking forward to cheaper curries and maple syrup!
    Lol, what's your favourite curry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamski191)
    And all the Bremainers said we'd be isolated post-Brexit. Just LOOK at that. All those countries what still want to trade with us. Those that support the EU are just saying that we're done for because they're infatuated with the EU's non-democratic, and definitely bureaucratic rules and system of running it. We might be a little weaker in the coming months, but things WILL get better. It's not the end of the world that we're leaving the EU, but it is the end of an era, one of being trapped under Brussels' tight thumb. Now, we are free!

I honestly think a vast number of Remainers forgot what country we are. We're the UK lol, not Italy or Spain. We have a backbone and we're globally important.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a more professional version of that Heat Street article? ie not The Sun or something.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    Looking forward to cheaper curries and maple syrup!
    What more could one want?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EnglishWoodsman)
    Does anyone have a more professional version of that Heat Street article? ie not The Sun or something.
    It's sourced in the article with local news for some of the countries and the likes of the FT for others, those links also being in the OP.

ReputationRep:
    http://i.huffpost.com/gen/3419346/th...-SUN-570.jpg?7

ReputationRep:
    Really interested in rebuilding the links with India. That excites the hell out of me.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, one thing I hadn't considered is getting American beer a bit cheaper.

Realistically though I'll think we'll end up joining the EEA in some form for the single market.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Oh well, one thing I hadn't considered is getting American beer a bit cheaper.

Realistically though I'll think we'll end up joining the EEA in some form for the single market.
    Which gets Switzerland and Iceland off that list, there are still all those outside the EEA

ReputationRep:
    Leavers seems to be made up entirely of gullible fools

Of course other countries want to trade with Britain, we have a lot of money and a lot of people.

But trades are a 2 way deal, what does Britain get in return for allowing New Zealand to sell lamb in Britain and India to sell rice?

Both these things compete with British producers of lamb and wheat. British farmers won't be thrilled if cheap lamb and rice was dumped in Britain driving them out of business.

Do these deals give British businesses access to New Zealand and Indian markets or will there be stiff tariffs for British goods making them more expensive and uncompetitive.

ReputationRep:
    dont recall a remainer telling us that international trade deals werent going to be possible. i do however recall plenty of shouty brexiters talking about how we would be able to set up FTAs.

Nothing new here nor is it "news"

ReputationRep:
    The Icelandics seem more enthusiastic about us joining EFTA than the Norwegians. I guess Norway might be worried about one large country dominating a group of much smaller countries.

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/br...riangle-2016-6

http://www.thelocal.no/20160628/norw...k-joining-efta

ReputationRep:
    Considering India's gross human rights violations, the "Hindu taliban", I can't see how a trade deal with that government is any better for us than a trade deal with the Saudis.

I disagree that rice is competition for wheat. Very different products for very different uses.

I would suggest that what Britain gets out of it is not crippling export/import costs on stuff that she needs and is going to import anyway. That would be the main benefit.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    ...and it hasn't even been a week.

People are pushing for the US to start negotiations with the UK, and there have been criticisms from Congress of Obama's position ever since he visited; Iceland very quickly started considering `a trade deal; the Indian finance minister indicates a desire to finally enter into a FTA with a European nation; Australia and New Zealand might be teaming up to negotiate a FTA (and the latter is offering us some of their top trade negotiators); Ghana almost immediately started preparing to enter into talks; the Canadian PM wishes to deepen ties and Canada is reported to have approached the FCO; Mexico has already drafted a deal; Switzerland is very open to us returning to EFTA with only Norway potentially taking issue and I expect would otherwise engage in negotiations; and South Korea have also already formally approached us to engage in negotiations.

Or to get it all in a single article: http://heatst.com/uk/11-countries-ge...-with-britain/

1. The US says after Brexit. So you are talking 4 or 5 years.
    2. Iceland is only 320,000 people that sell fish and aluminium.
    3. Your Indian story is behind the FT paywall. But the story I read is they were in talks with the EU and not the UK. Called the India-EU Broad-based Trade and Investment Agreement or BTIA as well as EFTA talks.
    4. It says in your Australia link, so might be teaming up isnt the strongest and we were already conducting such an agreement via the EUcalled the India-EU Broad-based Trade and Investment Agreement or BTIA

Read more at:
    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst
    Australia is seeking a bilateral free trade agreement with the EU that was adopted in a referendum on Thursday.
    5 You arent joining EFTA without making significant payments and free movement of people.
    6. So that leaves you S Korea, Ghana and Mexico.

The UK will need to sort out its Brexit first and decide whether free movement of people is a sticking point, because nobody has managed to bypass that and gain access. They will also have to decide how much they are prepared to pay to the EU to join EFTA. Its likely to be in the billions of £.

ReputationRep:
    Considering India's gross human rights violations, the "Hindu taliban", I can't see how a trade deal with that government is any better for us than a trade deal with the Saudis.

I disagree that rice is competition for wheat. Very different products for very different uses.

I would suggest that what Britain gets out of it is not crippling export/import costs on stuff that she needs and is going to import anyway. That would be the main benefit.
    OF course rice competes with wheat, if rice was cheaper, I'll eat more of it instead of wheat products like bread or pizza.

ReputationRep:
    ...and it hasn't even been a week.

People are pushing for the US to start negotiations with the UK, and there have been criticisms from Congress of Obama's position ever since he visited; Iceland very quickly started considering `a trade deal; the Indian finance minister indicates a desire to finally enter into a FTA with a European nation; Australia and New Zealand might be teaming up to negotiate a FTA (and the latter is offering us some of their top trade negotiators); Ghana almost immediately started preparing to enter into talks; the Canadian PM wishes to deepen ties and Canada is reported to have approached the FCO; Mexico has already drafted a deal; Switzerland is very open to us returning to EFTA with only Norway potentially taking issue and I expect would otherwise engage in negotiations; and South Korea have also already formally approached us to engage in negotiations.

Or to get it all in a single article: http://heatst.com/uk/11-countries-ge...-with-britain/
    Yet the EU where we export 46% of our goods says there won't be a trade deal and instead we will trade under default WTO rules. Not looking good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester_123)
    Yet the EU where we export 46% of our goods says there won't be a trade deal and instead we will trade under default WTO rules. Not looking good
    They are simply posturing imo, they need us more than we need them. Aside from that who cares? We are all free to buy goods from ANY country in the world on the principle that we pay the appropriate import tax. It's a free choice we have always had. I can buy stuff from the USA if I wish, and pay the import tax. My choice. Free choice. The OP article is fantastic news and means the UK will be great once again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
    They are simply posturing imo, they need us more than we need them. Aside from that who cares? We are all free to buy goods from ANY country in the world on the principle that we pay the appropriate import tax. It's a free choice we have always had. I can buy stuff from the USA if I wish, and pay the import tax. My choice. Free choice. The OP article is fantastic news and means the UK will be great once again
    We could have done that before the referendum.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Manchester_123)
    44% and declining, you also assume nothing with the EU and WTO rules as awful, if we make the dodgy assumption that there is no effect on trade from WTO rules we're up over £10bn for it.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    1. The US says after Brexit. So you are talking 4 or 5 years.
    2. Iceland is only 320,000 people that sell fish and aluminium.
    3. Your Indian story is behind the FT paywall. But the story I read is they were in talks with the EU and not the UK. Called the India-EU Broad-based Trade and Investment Agreement or BTIA as well as EFTA talks.
    4. It says in your Australia link, so might be teaming up isnt the strongest and we were already conducting such an agreement via the EUcalled the India-EU Broad-based Trade and Investment Agreement or BTIA

Read more at:
    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst
    5 You arent joining EFTA without making significant payments and free movement of people.
    6. So that leaves you S Korea, Ghana and Mexico.

The UK will need to sort out its Brexit first and decide whether free movement of people is a sticking point, because nobody has managed to bypass that and gain access. They will also have to decide how much they are prepared to pay to the EU to join EFTA. Its likely to be in the billions of £.
    The US have made no formal position yet, to suggest they will wait 2 years to start is simply absurd
    Are you going to turn up cheaper fish and especially aluminium, given how much of a big deal you remainers made about all the tiny EU trade agreements worth nothing to us it's a bit rich
    India were in talks 9 years ago which quickly collapsed, like many of the EU's talks with no sign of resuming
    These "significant" payments are at the very most less than 10% of what we currently pay with the majority of the benefits we want being included, and the swiss challenging the notion of free movement
    And I find it odd suggesting that 11-5 is 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    44% and declining, you also assume nothing with the EU and WTO rules as awful, if we make the dodgy assumption that there is no effect on trade from WTO rules we're up over £10bn for it.

The US have made no formal position yet, to suggest they will wait 2 years to start is simply absurd
    Are you going to turn up cheaper fish and especially aluminium, given how much of a big deal you remainers made about all the tiny EU trade agreements worth nothing to us it's a bit rich
    India were in talks 9 years ago which quickly collapsed, like many of the EU's talks with no sign of resuming
    These "significant" payments are at the very most less than 10% of what we currently pay with the majority of the benefits we want being included, and the swiss challenging the notion of free movement
    And I find it odd suggesting that 11-5 is 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you even bother to read the articles you link?

Care to explain the 11-5=3 and then I cna get back to you.

You are claiming our payments to EFTA are going to be 10% of what we currently pay and the majority of benefits being included.

Care to elaborate on that with some supporting links would be handy.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.