Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For strategy of the real time variety, go for red alert 2
    For strategy of the turn based variety, go for alpha centauri
    For RPGs, go for dungeon siege (if you like a good hack and slash)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masiftinkerbell)
    Get A Life
    Get a Half Life, (see what i did there)
    AVP2

Far Cry - Is ok a lil over rated i feel very demanding and enemy AI is crap, nothing special

CS Condition Zero

Fallot Tactics - if you have the time

Im in the same boat, i want some games for the summer.

ReputationRep:
    I take it you've all played the original Deus Ex right? If not, get down your local games shop and pick it up for £5 post haste!

Best. Game. Ever.

Oh and Doom III is out in August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitriol)
    I take it you've all played the original Deus Ex right? If not, get down your local games shop and pick it up for £5 post haste!

Best. Game. Ever.

Oh and Doom III is out in August.
    deus ex is the most amazing action/adventure/RPG I have played.

ReputationRep:
    Well, let's see. If you've got a decent spec system (1Ghz AMD / P4, good graphics card), I'd recommend something from the crop of today's games:

Half-Life 2 (FPS, should be THE game of 2004)
    Medal Of Honor Battle Chest (FPS - about £35, includes original game + 2 expansion packs)
    UT2004 (FPS, popular for online play)
    Doom3 (FPS, scary as hell)

I'm not as up on strategy games as I used to be, so I can't tell you what's good or now. Homeworld 2 looks promising, and should be about £20 now.

If you're looking for budget games, try :

UT (FPS - only £10 with the Chaos mod)
    AoE 2 (Strategy)
    Empire Earth (Strategy)
    Baldurs Gate 1/2 or Icewind Dale 1/2 (RPG - but so many hours of gameplay! Usually 200/300 hours before completion)

Anyway, just my choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    deus ex is the most amazing action/adventure/RPG I have played.
    AGREED. It's almost addicting ... so well designed and written. The sequel sucked though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty)
    AGREED. It's almost addicting ... so well designed and written. The sequel sucked though
    Another addictive game I am playing presently is dungeon siege and a good oldie, blake stone.

ReputationRep:
    Another addictive game I am playing presently is dungeon siege and a good oldie, blake stone.
    I've meant to get Dungeon Siege for ages, but never got round to it. I'm currently working my way through Baldurs Gate 2 as a Paladin ... can't kill that sodding red dragon though Shame, he's got a kick-ass sword on him.

ReputationRep:
    is baldur's gate 2 good? i've played the demo for number one and i thought it was pretty good. Although i didn't like Diablo 2 much, i got bored cos i kept on dyeing.

ReputationRep:
    can't kill that sodding red dragon though Shame, he's got a kick-ass sword on him.
    Yeah, I can't beat that bit either so I'm just leaving it till the end, whoops my ass completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingpong)
    Yeah, I can't beat that bit either so I'm just leaving it till the end, whoops my ass completely.
    There's a cheeky way you can do it :

Get a wand of cloudkill with 6+ charges and keep just out of sight of him. Fire all the charges off and the poison will kill him (as his magic resistance doesn't stop it). This really takes the fun out of it, but you get 64,000 Exp and a Holy Avenger + 5 sword.

And yes, BG2 is well worth buying if you like RPGs

ReputationRep:
    And yes, BG2 is well worth buying if you like RPGs
    Even if you don't, it's the best gameplay per pound game out there, i've been playing it on/off for the past 6 months and haven't even done half of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm playing BG2 through for the 3rd time ... :P

There's at least 200 hours of gameplay in it - and 5 stronghold quests to do as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm playing BG2 through for the 3rd time ... :P

There's at least 200 hours of gameplay in it - and 5 stronghold quests to do as well.
    Sheesh.

I just couldn't work through all the repetition again, dialogue etc.

I have to admit to using a walkthrough for certain bits and pieces, and the map system is a godsend compared to BG1 for finding stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Sheesh.

I have to admit to using a walkthrough for certain bits and pieces, and the map system is a godsend compared to BG1 for finding stuff.
    I don't mind repetition, I frequently replay RPGs.

ReputationRep:
    Sheesh.

Yep, the map system is a LOT better in BG2. I don't mind the repetition so much : there's loads of stuff you miss out first time round. There's even a hidden quest that I've found that hardly any websites mention

ReputationRep:
    Ive never really heard much about BG2, would you guys recommend it highly to someone who is a big final fantasy fan?

ReputationRep:
    Having never played Final Fantasy ... YES! Um.

If you see it in your local games store for £10, it's well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    Ive never really heard much about BG2, would you guys recommend it highly to someone who is a big final fantasy fan?
    I have BG2 around somewhere, I just haven't got round to playing it through yet.

ReputationRep:
    I have BG2 around somewhere, I just haven't got round to playing it through yet.
    It's a good way to spend the summer

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.