• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Mr Speaker, having considered this, is it appropriate that this Amendment is debated when it effectively targets these and other members in such a way? Moreover, does this not risk discrimination against those who are dyslexic or have dyspraxia and perhaps choose not to disclose it to the House? On the latter question, I am concerned it forces people to disclose certain details which they may not feel comfortable telling to strangers on the internet.
    There are, I agree, certain parts of this amendment which may well need to be struck down for being contrary to house or TSR rules, including the attempt to introduce moderation by committee.

This may well require a review from moderation (the CT) or similar should it pass, and in the meantime I urge members who feel posts in the debate may breach TSR rules or conventions of common decency to use the Report function.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Party leaders have proven themselves to be incapable of organising the smallest of things, motivate shadow ministers to do their job, force ministers to publish their ideas, encourage members to debate, and push MPs to vote; more drastic action is needed to build up the standards in the MHoC.
    Well if ministers aren't publishing their ideas then what job does shadow ministers have if there is nothing to scrutinise and oppose? I mean we could be producing more legislation I hold my hands up there and I hope to see more labour bills in the next week or two hitting the floor for debate, but we can't oppose what isn't there to oppose, now if we had failed to scruntinise what ministers had and are publishing you would have a point.

Anyway I can't support this, I can imagine this discriminating against those with learning disabilities, as Toronto put, as well as those who are less educated and may not be up to the grammar levels of those nominated to the court. Especially given the state of rl education where at least in some schools grammar is hardly taught but simply expected to be known leading to many having poor grammar.

I would also again mention this is a game, not everyone can give as much time as you Nigel, I agree especially given the activity of some of us more could be produced but we are as much a political community as a model house of commons I would say, with members of all parties talking freely on all manners of issues in the bar.

Also I would question the impartiality of such a court at judging the quality of debate, I don't think such a court would be able to as it would in some cases end up drawn down a party/ideological divide
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Well if ministers aren't publishing their ideas then what job does shadow ministers have if there is nothing to scrutinise and oppose? I mean we could be producing more legislation I hold my hands up there and I hope to see more labour bills in the next week or two hitting the floor for debate, but we can't oppose what isn't there to oppose, now if we had failed to scruntinise what ministers had and are publishing you would have a point.

Anyway I can't support this, I can imagine this discriminating against those with learning disabilities, as Toronto put, as well as those who are less educated and may not be up to the grammar levels of those nominated to the court. Especially given the state of rl education where at least in some schools grammar is hardly taught but simply expected to be known leading to many having poor grammar.

I would also again mention this is a game, not everyone can give as much time as you Nigel, I agree especially given the activity of some of us more could be produced but we are as much a political community as a model house of commons I would say, with members of all parties talking freely on all manners of issues in the bar.

Also I would question the impartiality of such a court at judging the quality of debate, I don't think such a court would be able to as it would in some cases end up drawn down a party/ideological divide
    I respect those reasons for being agaisnt this amendment, but on your first point I disagree, when the Department for Business, Innovation, and Skills published a review it was ignored by the shadow secretary, and when the Ministry of Defence published a report the shadow minister's contribution as one short sentence about Trident: the opposition is failing with opposition duties.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I respect those reasons for being agaisnt this amendment, but on your first point I disagree, when the Department for Business, Innovation, and Skills published a review it was ignored by the shadow secretary, and when the Ministry of Defence published a report the shadow minister's contribution as one short sentence about Trident: the opposition is failing with opposition duties.
    We're yet to see from the current opposition a response longer and more detailed than the original submission that is promptly followed by the item being withdrawn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I assure you when something in my remit is submitted I shall do my best to tackle it, and I'll raise this with the shadow ministers mentioned and see what happened.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I assure you when something in my remit is submitted I shall do my best to tackle it, and I'll raise this with the shadow ministers mentioned and see what happened.
    To the latter Ray complained at nothing to scrutinise, then when given the chance didn't scrutinise, was elected leader, didn't appoint somebody to scrutinise, and nownit seems is going to let the item go by as good as unopposed by the opposition. The only real scrutiny came from UKIP

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay, it makes far more sense to just let party leaders decide on this sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I realise that UKIP would like to see good standards of English and value good grammar. *However, this seems to be a method of reducing debate or restricting the input of someone not liked by others in the House.

Nay.*

ReputationRep:
    this could be a good idea if done right.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Nay. Absolutely not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabillio)
    this could be a good idea if done right.
    This, from the user who can't use a capital letter to save their life.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This amendment is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This amendment has been withdrawn.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.