Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Is gambling a waste of money

ReputationRep:
    It's like any other kind of entertainment. That's like asking whether going on holiday is a waste of money, or going to the cinema, or whatever - the answer depends on the individual and their circumstances; and how much value they place on whatever level of enjoyment they get from it.

ReputationRep:
    We are all different and everyone has different preferences.

Some people will think gambling is a waste but if you have the money to gamble 40-60 a day and you enjoy it, then who is to say that is worse than any other way to spend money?

Some people spend thousands clothes and to others that is a waste but again if you have the money and choose to spend it that way, who is anyone else to judge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gaben)
    Gambling is a waste of time and money. It really isn't worth the stress.
    Go say that to that guy who put £5 on Leicester last season and won £250,000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I feel myself)
    That's an anomaly. It's like winning the lottery. So, it's not really a good example.

Also, if the guy put £5 on Leicester he would have got £25,000 in return because the odds were 5,000/1 not 50,000/1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I feel myself)
    £25,000

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gaben)
    That's an anomaly. It's like winning the lottery. So, it's not really a good example.

Also, if the guy put £5 on Leicester he would have got £25,000 in return because the odds were 5,000/1 not 50,000/1.
    Yeah that's true. If you're guaranteed money, it's no longer gambling.

ReputationRep:
    Ahaha

ReputationRep:
    Instead of gambling invest.

ReputationRep:
    I made about $1000 total betting on games of counter-strike, but only because the odds are determined by the weighting of people betting on each team, so it was actually possible to play the odds, unlike with 99% of gambling in general

ReputationRep:
    Is the Pope Catholic?

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you win I suppose

ReputationRep:
    that's true mum ain't working she's on benefits she even thinks an item for £60 is expensive for real she shops in primark mostly, mum mostly borrows money of me constantly one day she gambled nearly £100 a day she didn't get **** she gambles online slots at least expensive clothes make you feel good and last really long

ReputationRep:
    What if you gamble £40 everyday and don't win

ReputationRep:
    True

ReputationRep:
    Fully agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    An £80 jacket isn't expensive at all. Gambling an never winning is worse, at least you get something if you're buying expensive possessions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wrong. You wouldnt say spending £10 on a cinema ticket is a waste of money, neither would somebody placing it on a football match of which he would not have had previous interest

ReputationRep:
    What if you gamble 40-£60 everyday and only get back like £1000 in a couple months

ReputationRep:
    It is if your bad at it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struggler07)
    that's true mum ain't working she's on benefits she even thinks an item for £60 is expensive for real she shops in primark mostly, mum mostly borrows money of me constantly one day she gambled nearly £100 a day she didn't get **** she gambles online slots at least expensive clothes make you feel good and last really long
    whats the difference between a £5 top from primark and a £60 top from a top brand? Spending that much on clothes is a waste of money imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struggler07)
    What if you gamble £40 everyday and don't win

That's like throwing money away

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.