Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is gambling a waste of money Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's like any other kind of entertainment. That's like asking whether going on holiday is a waste of money, or going to the cinema, or whatever - the answer depends on the individual and their circumstances; and how much value they place on whatever level of enjoyment they get from it.

ReputationRep:
    We are all different and everyone has different preferences.

Some people will think gambling is a waste but if you have the money to gamble 40-60 a day and you enjoy it, then who is to say that is worse than any other way to spend money?

Some people spend thousands clothes and to others that is a waste but again if you have the money and choose to spend it that way, who is anyone else to judge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gaben)
    Gambling is a waste of time and money. It really isn't worth the stress.
    Go say that to that guy who put £5 on Leicester last season and won £250,000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I feel myself)
    That's an anomaly. It's like winning the lottery. So, it's not really a good example.

Also, if the guy put £5 on Leicester he would have got £25,000 in return because the odds were 5,000/1 not 50,000/1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I feel myself)
    £25,000

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gaben)
    That's an anomaly. It's like winning the lottery. So, it's not really a good example.

Also, if the guy put £5 on Leicester he would have got £25,000 in return because the odds were 5,000/1 not 50,000/1.
    Yeah that's true. If you're guaranteed money, it's no longer gambling.

ReputationRep:
    Ahaha

ReputationRep:
    Instead of gambling invest.

ReputationRep:
    I made about $1000 total betting on games of counter-strike, but only because the odds are determined by the weighting of people betting on each team, so it was actually possible to play the odds, unlike with 99% of gambling in general

ReputationRep:
    Is the Pope Catholic?

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you win I suppose

ReputationRep:
    that's true mum ain't working she's on benefits she even thinks an item for £60 is expensive for real she shops in primark mostly, mum mostly borrows money of me constantly one day she gambled nearly £100 a day she didn't get **** she gambles online slots at least expensive clothes make you feel good and last really long

ReputationRep:
    What if you gamble £40 everyday and don't win

ReputationRep:
    True

ReputationRep:
    Fully agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    An £80 jacket isn't expensive at all. Gambling an never winning is worse, at least you get something if you're buying expensive possessions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wrong. You wouldnt say spending £10 on a cinema ticket is a waste of money, neither would somebody placing it on a football match of which he would not have had previous interest

ReputationRep:
    What if you gamble 40-£60 everyday and only get back like £1000 in a couple months

ReputationRep:
    It is if your bad at it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struggler07)
    that's true mum ain't working she's on benefits she even thinks an item for £60 is expensive for real she shops in primark mostly, mum mostly borrows money of me constantly one day she gambled nearly £100 a day she didn't get **** she gambles online slots at least expensive clothes make you feel good and last really long
    whats the difference between a £5 top from primark and a £60 top from a top brand? Spending that much on clothes is a waste of money imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struggler07)
    What if you gamble £40 everyday and don't win

That's like throwing money away

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.