Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What can i use as a subsitute for oil? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dskinner)
    Well i can buy oil or prawn crackers, and y'know i can't get both it's a one or the other.

I wouldn't live of off prawn crackers lol i'd die from unhealthiness

then again oil i think is about £1 a litre

i can get 1kg of prawn crackers for £1:30 but the pawn crackers are much more than you think you get
    haha why cant you afford both? That litre of oil will last you plenty of time

Ah it seems i have butter the butter my boarding house has is called kerrymaid butter, so this stuff(yes the picture of this is identical to the one i have at the house)

That seems as though it would work, but then I'm no master chef and don't tend to notice if what I'm eating is burnt, so long as it isn't burned to a cinder that is.

ReputationRep:
    Why not go buy your own oil .

ReputationRep:
    Get a person in your boarding house to lend you £1 on the promise of a (small) bag of prawn crackers. Buy oil, make crackers, give the friend some, eat some then sell them in bags for £1.50, with no takeaways nearby you'll make a fortune amongst students. However the likelihood is you may small of oil and prawn crackers for the remainder of your life and you may never want to eat prawn crackers again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    That seems as though it would work, but then I'm no master chef and don't tend to notice if what I'm eating is burnt, so long as it isn't burned to a cinder that is.
    Ok i'll see if i can get more oil from the dining hall manager and hopefully if i do and i'm able to do these prawn crackers then probably i can add some of that butter stuff to the oil and see if it works or not
    (Original post by New- Emperor)
    Why not go buy your own oil .
    Oil or prawn crackers choose one
    Much easier to get oil for free for me in my school than prawn crackers bro
    (Original post by bumblepeas)
    Get a person in your boarding house to lend you £1 on the promise of a (small) bag of prawn crackers. Buy oil, make crackers, give the friend some, eat some then sell them in bags for £1.50, with no takeaways nearby you'll make a fortune amongst students. However the likelihood is you may small of oil and prawn crackers for the remainder of your life and you may never want to eat prawn crackers again.
    hmm that's a problem though because everyone eats them and i do it for "free" and i just spend a little bit like £1.20 or something and i get like in total a huge boxful equivalent of cooked prawn crackers when they're cooked by me
    in any case if i ever wanted to charge people for this then they'd get pretty greedy but not a bad idea

ReputationRep:
    most certainly

If yo7u're genuinely serious i can do that, could i mix like 3 big spoonfuls of margarine with like 200ml of oil?
    If that works then i can do parwn crackers....
    I'm serious, I've never done it on that scale but it would work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    prawn crackers are really cheap at Tesco™... you just eat them out of this like bag ?

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

*other supermarkets sell prawn crackers*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hmmm i'll try it today, i'll report back to you and see if it does add a lot of volume to the oil existing there already
    (Original post by the bear)
    prawn crackers are really cheap at Tesco™... you just eat them out of this like bag ?

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

*other supermarkets sell prawn crackers*
    meh only 40g of that stuff? i can get 200g of the raw prawn crackers and cook them meself :/ don't know what the end weight of it all is but it's certainly a lot more than 40g ....
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    the first time i saw a prawn cracker made i was like a kid in a sweet shop. Why dont you buy some oil from shop?
    Because he's not normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Because he's not normal.
    Yes very not normal

super cheapskate me, cheapest of the cheapskates
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yes very not normal

super cheapskate me, cheapest of the cheapskates
    I just think its ridiculous. Cant you do some chores or something in return for oil?

How many prawn crackers do you have? Why not buy the oil, then sell some prawn crackers off to minions, but at a profit? Oil pays for itself.

ReputationRep:
    I just think its ridiculous. Cant you do some chores or something in return for oil?

How many prawn crackers do you have? Why not buy the oil, then sell some prawn crackers off to minions, but at a profit? Oil pays for itself.
    So ridiculous i'm too cheapskaty
    haha no that won't work, in any case I've manage to secure half a litre of oil more from the dining hall and i got that little cup and if adding that butter works then i have oil for prawn crackers which is awesome

I have plenty but it's just something i do for the house. But when i comes to buying stuff which i think is costing bit more than it should when i give the stuff away for free, that's when i'll be my cheapskate self
    In any case i've got the oil all i need to do is go and get dem prawn crackers which is nice and the last step now is to hopefully get the teachers to "supervise" me when i do it to make sure "the house doesn't burn down" >.> i mean i've done it so many times before and never burned the house down so why would i burn the house this time? lol anyway i thinkthings r ok now
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You could have managed with 1/4 l
    How many prawn crackers do you have?

ReputationRep:
    You could have managed with 1/4 l
    How many prawn crackers do you have?
    WTF no 250ml isn't enough to do prawn crackers especially the number of prawn crackers i'm cooking
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    WTF no 250ml isn't enough to do prawn crackers especially the number of prawn crackers i'm cooking
    Ok. Not like anyone else has ever cooked them before....

ReputationRep:
    Butter/margarine. Few oils are terribly stable at high temperatures btw. I cook with coconut oil, I'm hippy like that :hippie:

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Not like anyone else has ever cooked them before....
    i guess but i need more than that volume of oil because i was gonna do loads, last time i did loads and i though hey i got plenty of oil but turns out it wasn't enough....

FFS i got everything i needed aswell, oil, check from housemaster saying it's ok and the final thing was the prawn crackers and they didn't have any in stock at all ffs bs i call, they knew i went to all this effort and just hid them while i was there >.>
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Butter/margarine. Few oils are terribly stable at high temperatures btw. I cook with coconut oil, I'm hippy like that :hippie:
    Lol i see, apparently adding butter to oil works so i guess i could've tried that

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said i'd come back to you and it worked after loads and loads of bubbles and very loud fizzing before i put stuff in but it seems like it works, in any case i used loads of oil and only put in a bit of butter stuff, i guess the next time i do prawn cracks i can add more butter and just increase the volume of oil thanks

ReputationRep:
    I said i'd come back to you and it worked after loads and loads of bubbles and very loud fizzing before i put stuff in but it seems like it works, in any case i used loads of oil and only put in a bit of butter stuff, i guess the next time i do prawn cracks i can add more butter and just increase the volume of oil thanks
    Woohoo!! It seemed a little scary at first, but that's deep frying for you anyway. So now have you got loads of prawn crackers you can eat to your hearts content?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo!! It seemed a little scary at first, but that's deep frying for you anyway. So now have you got loads of prawn crackers you can eat to your hearts content?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well the thing is that i got everything ready but i went to the shop and there weren't any prawn crackers in stock and i was like fuiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    BUT
    the night before we had a huge meal with loads of cheap frozen stuff and chips so i just heated up dat oil and deep fried all those chicken nuggets and chips, i could taste the unhealthiness

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.