Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

£440 in rent to my parents -- is it fair? Watch

ReputationRep:
    you're 28, you shouldn't be expecting handouts from your parents

they're still losing money compared to if they rented it to someone else and my guess is you're still saving money compared to living somewhere else so yes, it's fair

ReputationRep:
    I pay £200 a month. But I'm 22 and I've been paying that since I was 16, and I just have my room, not a floor as in your case. So it dosen't seem totally unreasonable. Their house, their rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)

they're still losing money compared to if they rented it to someone else and my guess is you're still saving money compared to living somewhere else so yes, it's fair
    but we are family... no im not saving money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanB)
    I pay £200 a month. But I'm 22 and I've been paying that since I was 16, and I just have my room, not a floor as in your case. So it dosen't seem totally unreasonable. Their house, their rules.
    the couple that lived here before, some months ago, paid £250 a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)

ok they may be "losing money" but we are family.

and I have lived here just a few months and have managed to take care of myself without any problems for since i was 19
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by emerald777)
    the couple that lived here before, some months ago, paid £250 a month.
    You aren't Italian are you?

If not, move out. It's really quite simple. And perhaps that's what your parents want anyway.

It's time to make your own way in the world

Hello, I am a 28 year old student and pay £440 in rent to my parents and I pay my own bills and food. But I wonder if this is reasonable. In order to be able to pay the rent, I must in addition to student loans also work to pay the rent.

The house is big and I live in a floor for myself that has everything you need. Floor serves as an apartment. My parents have good jobs and no financial worries.

Theys say that the floor is worth £550 a month. Therefore, I also take care of the garden for free, such as cutting the grass.

What do you think? grateful for your opinions

Wow, honestly since you buy your own food and pay your own bills, the price should be alot less... I would say maximum £250 a month..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think thats fair. I don't want to live with my parents forever but I don't expect them to charge me for living with them. When I get a job I would want to help with the bills and stuff but I really don't think they'd charge me for rent.

ReputationRep:
    but we are family... no im not saving money.
    if you're not saving anything then move out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You aren't Italian are you?

If not, move out. It's really quite simple. And perhaps that's what your parents want anyway.

It's time to make your own way in the world
    nope Im not italian, I moved in a few months ago.I think not because they want to rent out this floor regardless. also they were happy that I was moving in.

however it feels wrong giving all my money to them, especially considering their economy is good and I dont have full-time job because I am studying temporarily.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am a 28 year old student and pay £440 in rent to my parents and I pay my own bills and food. But I wonder if this is reasonable. In order to be able to pay the rent, I must in addition to student loans also work to pay the rent.

The house is big and I live in a floor for myself that has everything you need. Floor serves as an apartment. My parents have good jobs and no financial worries.

Theys say that the floor is worth £550 a month. Therefore, I also take care of the garden for free, such as cutting the grass.

What do you think? grateful for your opinions
    Depends on where you live, I pay £225 a month all bills inclusive except food bills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Depends on where you live, I pay £225 a month all bills inclusive except food bills
    small town in nordic country.

ReputationRep:
    small town in nordic country.
    Ah, that explains it, nordic countries are always more expensive
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The whole concept is alien to me and the culture I was brought up in and probably many others with Asian parents. I am grateful that I never had to pay my parents any rent! Even now with my own place, if I wanted to stay over theirs it wouldn't be an issue, especially if I suddenly lost everything and had nowhere else to go. Same with my grandmother's house too, in fact. Come to think about it, any of my family members with a house would be welcoming, and I'd welcome them to mine if there was no place elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    Great deal for a 'apartment'.

As for "fair", you won't find anything near that if you move out so at the age of 28 you should appreciate that. You're not 16 anymore, you've had time to get your life in order.

Must be nice to only have to pay £20, privilege is alive and kicking.
    This. OP is not a child or fresh out of college, he/she is a 28 year old adult - if you can find cheaper move out, if not you have to suck it up I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Wow, how big is your place? I'm in a 3 bedroom house and its £525 plus about 100 in bills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    This. OP is not a child or fresh out of college, he/she is a 28 year old adult - if you can find cheaper move out, if not you have to suck it up I'm afraid
    i would have no problem with paying this amount if i had a full-time job or if my parents had difficulties making the economy go together.

When I read on other forums people say that it is wrong to pay rent to their parents if you have bad economy. but here people seems to think its in order.

ReputationRep:
    hello, i am a 28 year old student and pay £440 in rent to my parents and i pay my own bills and food. But i wonder if this is reasonable. In order to be able to pay the rent, i must in addition to student loans also work to pay the rent.

The house is big and i live in a floor for myself that has everything you need. Floor serves as an apartment. My parents have good jobs and no financial worries.

Theys say that the floor is worth £550 a month. Therefore, i also take care of the garden for free, such as cutting the grass.

What do you think? Grateful for your opinions
    you pay all that money? You have to pay your own parents to have shelter?! Im done. Lol thats pathetic!!! Wow.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    i would have no problem with paying this amount if i had a full-time job or if my parents had difficulties making the economy go together.

When I read on other forums people say that it is wrong to pay rent to their parents if you have bad economy. but here people seems to think its in order.
    It's pretty much because you are 28. You are old enough to make your own decisions and to be responsible for them. If you don't want to pay 5000 krona to your parents you don't have to.

Move out, and move on.

ReputationRep:
    How much would it cost you to move out and rent? Think about it like that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.