Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EU mythbuster #1: The EU helps small farmers & greenery Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is the future without the EU telling us what to do.

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    This is the future without the EU telling us what to do.
    I know I'm going to regret asking this but... why can't people do this within the EU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I know I'm going to regret asking this but... why can't people do this within the EU?
    Its got a lot to do with Agenda 21 and environmental concerns.

The Humber is a important habitat zone for migrating birds etc.

There is a load of red tape which applies a huge amount of costs to small business if they want a permit for working in the zone. However this is just a farce because there is huge corporate interest for Wind Farms off the coast of Hull & Grimsby. Its almost impossible for a small business person to get a word within the EU due to lobbying etc.There has been talk about reform for years about the Common Fishery Policy and other red tape but it never amounts to anything. The EU is stubborn and only tends to shift its view when a big player comes to the arena. The EU see's the entire of the UK as its property. They have never cared about small business. The EU looks after its self basically.

If you want to understand you really need to dive into the EU's port, fishery and science regulations. You then need to read Agenda 21 and those regulations. You then need to appease our own regulations in the UK and if your not broke by then maybe you can go ahead.

In Grimsby docks your notice that there are a load of fish production facilities and very little small business.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Its got a lot to do with Agenda 21 and environmental concerns.

The Humber is a important habitat zone for migrating birds etc.

There is a load of red tape which applies a huge amount of costs to small business if they want a permit for working in the zone. However this is just a farce because there is huge corporate interest for Wind Farms off the coast of Hull & Grimsby. Its almost impossible for a small business person to get a word within the EU due to lobbying etc.There has been talk about reform for years about the Common Fishery Policy and other red tape but it never amounts to anything. The EU is stubborn and only tends to shift its view when a big player comes to the arena. The EU see's the entire of the UK as its property. They have never cared about small business. The EU looks after its self basically.

If you want to understand you really need to dive into the EU's port, fishery and science regulations. You then need to read Agenda 21 and those regulations. You then need to appease our own regulations in the UK and if your not broke by then maybe you can go ahead.

In Grimsby docks your notice that there are a load of fish production facilities and very little small business.
    Hmm, well you may be dissapointed if you expect a British government to act much differently. We'll see...

Oh and Agenda 21 is the UN not EU (I know you know that, but others may not.).

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well you may be dissapointed if you expect a British government to act much differently. We'll see...

Oh and Agenda 21 is the UN not EU (I know you know that, but others may not.).
    Yes its made by the UN but the EU has accepted it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes its made by the UN but the EU has accepted it.
    So did the UK.

ReputationRep:
    So did the UK.
    The difference is Agenda 21 can be talked about in Parliament but in the EU it cannot. The EU Commission lays down the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    If CAP was removed, an estimated 90% of farmers would go out of business in the UK. 55% of farm income comes from CAP and without it, UK agriculture just isn't sustainable.

The average mixed farmer (which includes the bulk of small farms) has an income of just over 20k. Lose a bit of that income and they might as well pack it in and start stacking shelves in Tesco.

Which is why leave campaigners (Micheal Gove if I remember correctly) have said they'll maintain payments.
    I don't think it should be scrapped; I think it could have a lot of reforms.

I still think farmers should be subsidised, but the money can be distributed a lot better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.