He has the charisma of a potato.
    And a face to match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    I keep thinking you're TSR Jessica :unimpressed:
    its because i am :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Rakas21 thoughts? I imagined you rubbing your hands with glee after he stabbed Boris

Although he's said some bat **** things and was a slightly unhinged education sec, I honestly like the guy and out of the lot of them I prefer him by far. I'd really like to see a Gove government and a relatively pure brexit cabinet thus it be judged accordingly.
    I'm pretty glad. I consider him a man of vision and resolve. While i was willing to consider Boris, i can't say i'm bothered that he's gone since he was a disloyal opportunist in my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    My suspicion is that he originally planned for Boris to the PM and himself to be the power behind the throne, but it didn't work out for some reason... maybe Boris wanted EEA membership and Gove didn't.

I once ran a website where I actually owned the forum software and the web space, and I picked someone with a stronger personality than myself to be the leader. But he ended up pissing everyone off, shirking responsibilities, showing bias towards and against certain people, and causing more problems than he was worth. So I ended up having to kick him out of the leadership role and assume it myself just to do damage control, even though I'd originally said I didn't want anything to do with leadership and just wanted to be kind of a tech admin type.

My gut is telling me that this situation could be similar to that one. That Michael Gove was the real brains and architect of the Brexit movement, while Boris was just a "useful idiot," if you know what I mean. Think about it... Boris is just some charismatic guy that used to be the Mayor of London, coming into this out of nowhere. Gove has been a Eurosceptic all his life. A lot of newspapers seem to be suggesting that Gove is kind of an awkward intellectual type. I heard that he had an obsession with Roman Numerals. He's also written books about his views.
    I don't know how receptive the public would be to an intellectual as a politician, but I suspect he knows what he's doing, even though he seems like a shadowy and unlikable figure. Intellectual people tend to be seen negatively on the public stage, but often get good advisory positions in a cabinet or something.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    He is totally telling the truth. He has no charisma at all. I've seen dessicated animal corpses with more charisma than him.

Everything else that has come out of his mouth is grade A, pure, 100% bull.

The one thing I am curious about is what is he blackmailing Johnson with to make him stand down.

ReputationRep:
    Some similarities to Corbyn charisma wise!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    x
    :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Michael Gove or Theresa May..

ReputationRep:
    It is said that Jimmy Carter used to personally approve the White House tennis court playing rota each day. Ronald Reagan slept through much of one of America's most successful presidencies.

Michael Gove personally dictated which poems schools should teach. He ran academy and free school management through the Department of Education, a small body with wholly inadequate resources to provide oversight of a third of the country's secondary schools and where trivial decisions were being personally signed off by his junior minister. That lack of oversight led to the Islamist takeover of some Birmingham schools. Gove criticised Boris for the shambolic organisation of Boris' leadership campaign but this was a man who ran one of the world's greatest cities for 5 years and delivered an Olympic Games with barely a hitch.

Would a Gove premiership be a micro-managing disaster?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    He is my MP and I have corresponded with him several times. I certainly believe what he says on this matter. He did not want to be PM, but has come to realise it could be the best way of making sure the job (of achieving his dream for Britain's development) is done well.
    This is the man who decided the country has "had enough of experts". His dream for Britain's development is everyone living in caves and spending all day writing out their times tables on a piece of slate.

He didn't accidentally lead us to the worst political decision ever made which just happened to set him up to be PM. He's like a **** Frank Underwood.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    "Then don't"

Like seriously, don't. Nobody wants you to. The only thing worse than having to live in Brexit Britain overseen by the iron fist of Theresa May is having to live in Brexit Britain with Michael Gove at the helm.

Living in Brexit Britain is punishment enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    The flipside is do you really want someone in the position of (almost) ultimate power who does want to be there?

There's that old line about power corrupting people and absolute power corrupting absolutely... is someone who seeks out that power really the best person for it?
    Seems power generally selects for those that shouldn't have it

ReputationRep:
    I believe in Michael Gove. He changed his mind, and decided to become PM. Its ****ing normal. Some people dont want to step up due to lack of confidence, but they change their mind afterwards because they believe they can do it. I believe he definitely CAN do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    I believe in Michael Gove. He changed his mind, and decided to become PM. Its ****ing normal. Some people dont want to step up due to lack of confidence, but they change their mind afterwards because they believe they can do it. I believe he definitely CAN do it.
    This is the man who not only ignores expert opinion, but actively shuns it. He'd be a terrible PM.

ReputationRep:
    Every potential PM is tested. Questions are asked of them: Can they negotiate? Can they handle the pressure? Can they do a speech etc etc etc???
    Boris Johnson could not pass some of those tests, so Michael Gove decided to step in.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    Every potential PM is tested. Questions are asked of them: Can they negotiate? Can they handle the pressure? Can they do a speech etc etc etc???
    Boris Johnson could not pass some of those tests, so Michael Gove decided to step in.
    In his speech he actively announced that he lacked leadership and charisma, so I don't think this is the reason.

IMO it is because Boris Johnson did not want to actually leave the EU, and having now actually left, he did not want to pursue the same hard right agenda as Mr Gove. Based on an article I read in the Evening Standard, Johnson openly said he wanted us to stay in the single market, which would mean accepting freedom of movement, something that Michael Gove is not willing to accept.

I reckon that's why he made his move, because he is a hardline idealist on this issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    He is totally telling the truth. He has no charisma at all. I've seen dessicated animal corpses with more charisma than him.

Everything else that has come out of his mouth is grade A, pure, 100% bull.

The one thing I am curious about is what is he blackmailing Johnson with to make him stand down.
    Boris is not as popular among MP's as members. Conversely, MP's rate Gove quite highly.

(Original post by seaholme)
    In his speech he actively announced that he lacked leadership and charisma, so I don't think this is the reason.

IMO it is because Boris Johnson did not want to actually leave the EU, and having now actually left, he did not want to pursue the same hard right agenda as Mr Gove. Based on an article I read in the Evening Standard, Johnson openly said he wanted us to stay in the single market, which would mean accepting freedom of movement, something that Michael Gove is not willing to accept.

I reckon that's why he made his move, because he is a hardline idealist on this issue.
    From what i have read it seems that Gove abandoned Boris when it became clear that Boris could not get the likes of Fox and Leadsom and Osbourne on side whether that's because he was unwilling, unable or they viewed him as a clown, who knows. Since a number of MP's had apparently been pushing for him to run, he took the opportunity.

The stuff with Boris looks bad but if he did really decide to run on Wednesday night then giving Boris advance notice would have been stupid.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.