Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weight loss/fitness tips for someone with no money/discipline!! Please help!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    You don't need money to lose weight. I've lost 30 lbs this year without spending any money on it, because all I had to do was eat less. I have also ...slowly... started exercising and once again that's free as I just jog outside???

Figure out your TDEE (google, or my fitness pal works this out for you if you sign up also) and record the calories you're consuming every day. You need to eat 500 below the TDEE every day to lose 1lb a week.

As for discipline... I wouldn't say people /lack/ discipline, just that you're not trying to be disciplined. You need to commit yourself to doing something about your weight every day, you need to record the calories when you eat them and eventually it'll become a habit. You need to tell your emotions to fu** off and tell your rational brain what's worth it.

Short term wants =/= important as long term goals.

You also need to transition slowly you cant expect to just give up snacking entirely; cut out one thing for a while, then another etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowkeypunk)
    Here's the backstory, skip it if you wish:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've never had great eating habits. I snack between meals and vegetables are aliens to me. That wasn't a problem until I left school, and suddenly I wasn't doing daily PE anymore. Couple that with a bout of depression (apparently I'm more prone to comfort eating than I thought) and suddenly, I stacked loads of weight on.
    Yesterday, it really got to me. Two summers ago when I was at my lightest, all my clothes were a size 10. And yesterday I had to request a size 16 shirt from work (admittedly it will be a bit baggy, but still). Honestly I almost cried. I hate looking in the mirror and avoid old friends like the plague because I don't want them to see how big I've got.
    Basically, I've gone up 3 dress sizes in 2 years and don't feel at all confident in myself and feel I'm stuck at a dead end. When the weather gets nicer, I'd love to wear shorts and vest tops but I don't like how I look in them at the minute. I have no money (my work is voluntary, I'm looking for paid work but nothing at the minute) so I can't afford to join a gym or go to sports classes.
    Also, as you probably gathered from the title, I'm not at all disciplined. I've tried on 5 separate occasions to stop snacking in between meals, but I didn't last longer than a week. It sounds easy to just stop eating crap but really it's not. I don't deal well with drastic change and if anything I just eat more when my attempts fail.

Please, if anyone has been in a similar situation give some advice. I don't care if I lose the weight slowly, I just want it gone, I want to be happy. If you know of any apps, blogs, websites....anything. The smallest tip will help me, please!
    Sell some of your clothes and shoes. Get yourself a set of decent running trainers and running gear and some earphones along with the thing that lets you carry your phone while you run. Buddy up with a friend who wants to lose weight as well and go running a few times a week. Use something as motivation such as training for a charity half marathon etc. Take selfies everyday to see your progress.

Download an app on your phone and set a start date. You're good to go!

Ps running isn't my preferred way to keep fit but it does the job in the off season

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter what you eat, it's about how much you eat.

You can eat a big mac every day and lose weight by staying below your energy expenditure. But you won't go anywhere without discipline.

The best way to lose weight is to just track what you eat, it's a real eye-opener. Count how many calories you are consuming everyday. Calories mean everything, if you want to lose weight you must eat less calories than you use. Myfitnesspal is great for tracking what you eat and counting your calories. You also won't need to input all the nutritional info into the site as most foods have already been entered. Anyway. Calculate your TDEE and subtract 500 calories and just aim to eat that amount every day.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

That is the only way you can lose weight. Exercise isn't essential but it speeds it up and tones up your muscles as well.

Oh, also about the depression thing. It sucks, I suffered it for 2 years and get the odd bad spell now and again. Gym/exercise really helped me out. The gym is an anti-depressant for many people. Try it out. Making your depression disappear involves you getting out of your comfort zone and occupying your mind. I can't really give you much advice on that because I don't really know enough about you. If you ever need help just message me.

Just start, once you get started i'm sure you'll go far beyond "losing weight" and actually tone up your body and make a healthy life-style out of it. The hardest part is starting. Good luck.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jackcoys)
    Doesn't matter what you eat, it's about how much you eat.

You can eat a big mac every day and lose weight by staying below your energy expenditure. But you won't go anywhere without discipline.

The best way to lose weight is to just track what you eat, it's a real eye-opener. Count how many calories you are consuming everyday. Calories mean everything, if you want to lose weight you must eat less calories than you use. Myfitnesspal is great for tracking what you eat and counting your calories. You also won't need to input all the nutritional info into the site as most foods have already been entered. Anyway. Calculate your TDEE and subtract 500 calories and just aim to eat that amount every day.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

That is the only way you can lose weight. Exercise isn't essential but it speeds it up and tones up your muscles as well.

Oh, also about the depression thing. It sucks, I suffered it for 2 years and get the odd bad spell now and again. Gym/exercise really helped me out. The gym is an anti-depressant for many people. Try it out. Making your depression disappear involves you getting out of your comfort zone and occupying your mind. I can't really give you much advice on that because I don't really know enough about you. If you ever need help just message me.

Just start, once you get started i'm sure you'll go far beyond "losing weight" and actually tone up your body and make a healthy life-style out of it. The hardest part is starting. Good luck.
    This

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    sounds like you're in a very similar situation to what I was last year. I also had zero discipline but really wanted and needed to lose weight. so heres my advice.

first, you have to accept two things:
    1) this is not a diet, a cleanse or a detox. this is a lifestyle change. today marks the end of your old, unhealthy life and the start of your new, happy and healthy life.
    2) this will be hard, and progress will be slow. some weeks the scales will say you've gained weight despite eating better and exercising hard, and you'll want to give up. you will not give up. you will carry on with your new lifestyle and reap the rewards - you just have to wait.
    okay, now the main stuff. I'll split this into food and exercise to make this easier to digest (pardon the pun).

food
    now, with no discipline it's probably not ideal in the long run to be cutting things out entirely - it's not always sustainable. but for at least a few weeks, don't touch ready meals or fast food. even the ones that claim to be good for you are loaded with crap you don't know about, so avoid them completely. if that means eating a different meal to your family or being that one annoying friend who sits sulkily while everyone else eats burger king, so be it. once you've got a better grip on your diet you can start eating them again, but it's vital not to see them as something to go to when you have nothing to eat or can't be bothered to make anything.
    now I don't know if you live with your parents or what, but I'm guessing from the fact you've finished college that you're at least 18. if you live with your parents I know it's easier money-wise to eat what they do, but I have to recommend cooking for yourself if you have any money for food. you don't have to make everything entirely from scratch - but the more you can see what's going into your meals, the better. google cheap healthy meals for one, healthy meals for uni students, etc to give you some ideas. if you live with your parents perhaps ask for your own 'section' of the fridge and cupboards to help with this, or if your parents are on board offer to cook healthy meals for the whole family and they might even give you some extra money for ingredients. I'd also recommend making meals in advance - if you're not used to cooking, it can be a real pain in the ass to come home from a hard days work only to have to cook your own meal. for me that was when the takeaway menu would emerge and I'd binge on crap. but making big meals and splitting them into two or three portions for later on in the week is not only cost effective but helps with the days where you're just not in the mood.
    so called 'substituting' is also a life saver. swapping fizzy drinks for water, crisps for carrot sticks, etc. for me half the weight I put on was not from binging or hugely unhealthy meals but from little things I didn't even know were that bad. when watching TV I would go through a whole packet of biscuits without even realising. then I swapped those biscuits for carrot sticks and that helped a lot - I wasn't eating for the taste, but just as something to do while sitting doing nothing (and while we're on that, if you're snacking because you're bored, then don't be bored!! go for a walk, or at least do something that involves both hands like playing a video game so you physically can't eat!). other tasty but healthy substitutes I would recommend include fruit, unsweetened popcorn and dark chocolate.
    that's it for the main stuff, other random tips include:
    - avoid chocolatey or sugary breakfasts. they don't fill you up when exercising and they're just plain bad for you.
    - drink more water. you'll feel better for it and it'll keep you away from fizzy drinks which do more damage than you realise
    - calorie counting....hmmm. it works, for sure. but for me I was too literal about it. I wouldn't go a single calorie over what MFP said I could, which is fine at first but after a few weeks it gets a little tedious weighing out your food or typing in nutritional info for things that aren't on the app. plus things like going to restaurants stopped being fun because I didn't know what I could and couldn't eat. what I'd personally suggest is doing the whole calorie counting thing for a little while, trying out different foods and seeing how much things are. but once you've gaged what you can eat and what you can't without it being too much, see how you go without it. if you start to put weight back on, go back to calorie counting. and repeat until you can eat well without obsessing over numbers, because in the long run it's better for someone with little discipline.

exercise
    for me, swimming was the best thing I did. someone else said that swimming can be cheap and they are right. if you live in a city there will probably be at least one pool, go to the cheapest. I know you said you've finished college, I don't know if you're carrying on with education but if you are your college or uni may have a pool you can use cheaply or even for free. but yes I'd say swimming is very easy to 'get into' because I didn't find a pool as intimidating as a gym. actually the first time I went was nerve racking because swimming costumes leave nothing to the imagination - no covering up wobbly bits with extra layers! but then as soon as you're in the water no one can see you, and even if they could nobody cares. it's great exercise because you can go as slow or fast as you want, and I find even fast swimming that gets you out of breath doesn't make you particularly tired or achey until you're already out of the water and cooled down (I guess because you're floating in water and all your limbs feel really light?), which means that you can keep going in a pool for longer than you would than, say, on a treadmill. if you have the money, a swimming membership is well worth it IMO. I used to love to get up early and have a swim before school as you feel really clean and refreshed afterwards.
    joining a gym is also a great thing to do. if you're intimidated by them I'd actually recommend trying a smaller gym with less equipment as people with intense workout routines and huge six packs (basically, the people I was afraid of) tend to want bigger and better gyms. but i you're confident enough to join a regular old gym then do that! don't feel like you have to be great at everything - personally I only use the cross trainer and the rower, and very occasionally lift (pretty light) weights. although there are some things in there you could easily just do at home - go for a run instead of using the treadmill, bike ride instead of the exercise bike, etc. if you don't have the money, again there's the college/uni option, or there are apps out there which try to recreate the experience of going to the gym/having a personal trainer - the 30 day ab challenge is the only one I can personally recommend, as I haven't used any others. and you could see if any of your friends/neighbours/relatives have home gym equipment they'd let you use.
    if you don't have money or time for these, there's just plain walking. exercise doesn't have to get you all sweaty! if you're driving somewhere, think, do I need to drive? or could I just set off earlier and walk? walking instead of driving also saves you petrol money - money you could put towards gym sessions or healthy food! or get of the bus a few stops early, keep going up and down the stairs at home...whatever it takes to get those steps up! I aim for 13,000 a day and my iPhone has a built in app that tells me how many I've done, if your phone doesn't have one then there are free apps (pacer I think is one) which do.
    classes are also an option, like sports, running or more trendy ones like zumba or jazzercise. I used to do a tennis beginners class with my friend...didn't improve one bit, still can't play for ****, but I got loads of exercise and it was really fun! that's another tip - if you're having trouble keeping up with your exercise, find a friend to do it with. it becomes more enjoyable and you're less likely to make excuses not to go if you've already made plans.

so. that's mostly it from me. stray tips:
    - find a photo of you from when you were at a weight you'd like to be at now. you mentioned you felt better about yourself a couple of years back. get a photo from then, and stick it on the fridge. then every time you're tempted to binge on some crap, look at that pic and think 'is it worth it? will this help get me to my goal?'
    - don't try diet pills, laxatives or anything similar. it's not healthy or sustainable - if you need them to lose weight, it's only going to pile back on once you stop taking them.
    - if you struggle with portion sizes, buy a smaller plate. by some weird psychology, even the most health-conscious of people are more likely to eat more if they have a bigger plate. so get a small plate and pile it high!
    - buy some really cute clothes a size or two down. the only way you'll be able to fit into them (and therefore not waste money) is by losing the weight!
    - don't be afraid to indulge from time to time. you're allowed to have an egg at easter, and your christmas selection box shouldn't be thrown away. the key is just to keep it as a TREAT, and not to have treats too often. sorted.
    - don't get too obsessive about your new lifestyle. cravings and actual hunger are two different things...don't ever let yourself go hungry. don't skip meals, have normal portion sizes and don't freak out if you eat too much one day. it's fine, it happens. just go back to normal the next day.
    - similarly, don't get too obsessed with numbers when it comes to how much you weigh, or what your dress size is. different people have different body types, just go with how you feel rather than how it sounds or how you think you need to look to be beautiful.
    - stay happy. eat good, nice food and have fun exercising and becoming the best version of you that you can be. just because it's hard, doesn't mean you have to get down or be unhappy about it.

best of luck to you, message me if you have any questions. this post is long as **** so I didn't proof read it so there will be a few mistakes, so sorry in advance about those!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by lowkeypunk)
    Thank you for your reply.
    In the long run cutting out bread completely is really not something I can do, but I eat quite a lot (sometimes toast for breakfast, a sandwich lunch, and then another bread-based snack in the evening) and I can cut it right down. I only eat white bread, so do you think swapping to brown will help?
    You shouldnt demonise any food, but logging it on MFP will shows you what you get for your calories and that will give you a more informed idea on what you should be eating.

If you are going to eat bread then go for wholemeal because it will take longer to digest, has more fibre and nutrutional value. A slice of bread can be anywhere from 85 to 140 calories a slice. That means 2 cloces in the morning, 2 for your sandwich and 2 in the evening could be 500-840 calories on bread alone. If you are only on 1500 calories, then thats a high % of your diet taken up by bread.

I quite like Birgen bread, has seed and good nutrition. It used to be expensive, but now mainstream supermarkets sell it for £1.

ReputationRep:
    Bottom line is, you need disipline

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just an update if anyone's interested...

I lost a pound!

Doesn't sound like much but it's a start, here's to the first pound of many!!!

ReputationRep:
    Replace all the snacks you'd normally have with fruits containing low amounts of carbohydrates such as berries (I would also suggest replacing snacks with vegetables if you can get past your hatred off them). Don't buy foods you know you will be tempted to eat, shop online instead of going to the supermarket so you aren't tempted to pick up unhealthy items that may be on offer. Walk to as many places as you can instead of taking the car or public transport and make sure you are getting enough sleep, beacuse lack of sleep can lead to cravings for sugsry and slaty foods containg large amounts of fat and carbohydrates

ReputationRep:
    I used to really struggle with my weight, but I've found MyFitnessPal amazingly effective for losing pounds in a sustainable way, eg. losing one or two pounds per week.

ReputationRep:
    Check out Fitatu calorie counter. FREE app avaliable in Google Play and Appstore.

ReputationRep:
    Weightloss is easy if you have no money? Surely just buy less food and eat less?*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.