Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Because it wouldn't be based on logic or fairness and it would lead to economic suicide

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If a person doesn't like the rules changing the rules for them makes no sense. It's like if a murdered keeps on killing people you make killing people not a crime so they are less likely to do it because there is less of a thrill.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    If a person doesn't like the rules changing the rules for them makes no sense. It's like if a murdered keeps on killing people you make killing people not a crime so they are less likely to do it because there is less of a thrill.
    You miss one major distinction: Murder actually is a crime, tax avoidance isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    You miss one major distinction: Murder actually is a crime, tax avoidance isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No but it's immoral.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    No but it's immoral.
    If we accept that it is immoral (we don't) then we still run into the legal difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    If we accept that it is immoral (we don't) then we still run into the legal difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The best way is to make avoidance harder and not just make it less profitable.

And I don't see how it isn't immoral

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    The best way is to make avoidance harder and not just make it less profitable.

And I don't see how it isn't immoral

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't see what is moral about tax, nor do I see why is immoral about getting tax that does need paying to be paid in this country, while also drawing more businesses to Britain, the costing given is not the true cost, but we don't have the data to estimate how much extra revenue is brought in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I don't see what is moral about tax, nor do I see why is immoral about getting tax that does need paying to be paid in this country, while also drawing more businesses to Britain, the costing given is not the true cost, but we don't have the data to estimate how much extra revenue is brought in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Social responsibility to contribute to the betterment of society as a whole?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Social responsibility to contribute to the betterment of society as a whole?
    This is Jammy you're talking to, he's a dogmatic market liberal if and insofar as it suits him.

ReputationRep:
    I serve the will of the government.

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot of tax revenue to be losing, considering no steps have been taking to decrease government spending. I would imagine it was would make it harder to create a budget surplus. Though, a corporation tax cut is beneficial in terms of economic activity. Though I am not fully convinced.

Abstain

ReputationRep:
    Nope
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The RL Tories have announced they'll reduce it to even less than 15%.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Life_peer The Financier

Surely you should only be setting the rate for the specific tax year - and doing so in your budget. It is not the done thing for a government to legislate a permanent corporation tax rate.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Life_peer The Financier

Surely you should only be setting the rate for the specific tax year - and doing so in your budget. It is not the done thing for a government to legislate a permanent corporation tax rate.
    Except is that not effectively what a finance bill does?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Except is that not effectively what a finance bill does?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The finance bill only legislates for the following financial year. In fact the law states that corporation tax for a year will be set by the parliament of that year.

Also, are all parts of your fiscal policy going to be individually legislated on?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Tbh, given that no one bothered to google how corporation tax works (its not even worded as it would be in a finance bill) this is a pretty poor show.

As it seems I've forgotten to say, 'No'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I understand the theory but I'm just not a fan of it. It doesn't feel right to me to say "we know you don't want to pay so we will make you pay less to make you happier"
    I have to agree with Aph here. We are basically telling companies that if they don't want to pay tax, then we will make it lower in a misguided attempt to encourage them to pay. We cannot let anyone nor organisation defy the rules of taxation and this bill would send out a terrible message that the greedy fat cat organisations are being allowed to ignore the law and are given special treatment.

It is about time that we cut down on tax avoidance, not forgive it. This is sending out the wrong message.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    I have to agree with Aph here. We are basically telling companies that if they don't want to pay tax, then we will make it lower in a misguided attempt to encourage them to pay. We cannot let anyone nor organisation defy the rules of taxation and this bill would send out a terrible message that the greedy fat cat organisations are being allowed to ignore the law and are given special treatment.

It is about time that we cut down on tax avoidance, not forgive it. This is sending out the wrong message.
    If you want the revenues to go overseas be my guest, but I would rather we be on the receiving end

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want the revenues to go overseas be my guest, but I would rather we be on the receiving end

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is where I disagree, I do believe that the revenue should be here but I also think that we should start considering more creative ways of redistributing corporate tax, the only problem is that so much is not being paid!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, I am in favour of what the bill aims to do, but I am not voting aye to a low quality bill that legislates for things which should be included in a finance act.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.