Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thousands at 'March for Europe' Brexit protest. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    How on earth a group of people coming together exercising their democratic right to protest a sad day for democracy? :lolwut:

And you can't tell me if the result was the other way round the Leave side would just say 'Oh well' and never say anything about it again after such a close vote, no, they'd be up in arms about it and wouldn't shut up until we held another referendum, the criticism from some is just so hypocritical.
    If you realise what they are protesting about, it is a sad day.

I didn't even mention what leave would be like lmao, please don't jump down my throat.

I don't actually care about the referendum result - even now I wouldn't know which way to vote. What I care more about is the govt getting on with the job in hand, not listening to a group of people whining.

ReputationRep:
    This is democracy in action since people have the right to protest.

People also have the right to ignore and ridicule the protestors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    If you realise what they are protesting about, it is a sad day.

I didn't even mention what leave would be like lmao, please don't jump down my throat.

I don't actually care about the referendum result - even now I wouldn't know which way to vote. What I care more about is the govt getting on with the job in hand, not listening to a group of people whining.
    The Conservatives do not have in their manifesto any pledges to take the UK out of the EU.

At most, the referendum can be seen as a result for the Conservatives next election manifesto. The Conservatives, I guess, could join UKIP, in presenting to the nation an exit from the EU manifesto come the next election.

You seem a sort of even handed guy. We've had the result, now we should get the manifesto...
    What is wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36692990

Thousands of people are marching through London to protest against the referendum decision to leave the EU.Demonstrators at the "March for Europe" rally, which was organised on social media, are holding placards saying "Bremain" and "We Love EU".Protester Mark Thomas said the referendum campaign - which resulted in the UK voting by 52% to Leave - had not been fought "on a level playing field".But critics said that those who lost the vote were "having a tantrum".

Still no mention of the poor 35% turnout for 18-24 year olds.
    thanks 18-24 year olds.... you have destroyed my future :emo: *

ReputationRep:
    If they wanna go protest it's within their democratic right to do so and it's kinda nice to see the British actually actively doing something instead of just sitting at home *****ing their asses off about it.

Obviously nothing's going to come from this though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    The Conservatives do not have in their manifesto any pledges to take the UK out of the EU.

At most, the referendum can be seen as a result for the Conservatives next election manifesto. The Conservatives, I guess, could join UKIP, in presenting to the nation an exit from the EU manifesto come the next election.

You seem a sort of even handed guy. We've had the result, now we should get the manifesto...
    What is wrong with that?
    I'm not denying that we shouldn't get a manifesto.

I would like a general election very much.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Just came back from it. So lovely seeing so much EU love!

Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  WhatsApp-Image-20160702.jpeg
Views: 112
Size:  229.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this lot will be better behaved than the anti-democracy hooligans during the "protest" they held after the general election. Somebody ought to keep a look out around war memorials etc since these people like to desecrate them during their tantrums, sorry, I mean "protests".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    The people SPEAK REGULARLY.... eg every four years or less.
    Five year Parliaments

ReputationRep:
    Christ, will you look at these morons...........

And check out Einstein here:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    X
    You're going to have to help me here, I'm not sure where the morons are? People standing up for a good cause?

ReputationRep:
    I cant wait until they become corporate slaves of an EU superstate. They'll finally be getting what they want.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    So, so many cry babies - and this is what our generation has to offer the world, people who can't deal with not getting their own way.

(Original post by The Roast)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36692990

Thousands of people are marching through London to protest against the referendum decision to leave the EU.Demonstrators at the "March for Europe" rally, which was organised on social media, are holding placards saying "Bremain" and "We Love EU".Protester Mark Thomas said the referendum campaign - which resulted in the UK voting by 52% to Leave - had not been fought "on a level playing field".But critics said that those who lost the vote were "having a tantrum".

Still no mention of the poor 35% turnout for 18-24 year olds.
    Mark Thomas is right, the referendum wasn't fought on a level playing field - we had that £9 million booklet from the Government advocating a remain vote and David Cameron breaking purdah rules by using a podium that was Government property to deliver a speech to the nation outside Downing Street. Those of us in Leave had the Government machinery against us, but we managed to win.

ReputationRep:

This says it all. This is why the EU and the UK government allowed the referendum. They knew there'd be a backlash from the younger generation of mindless drones who are open to suggestion and are utterly moronic.

The EU and UK government have played a masterclass here on a scale that would make Orwell and Huxley wince. I mean, you have a bunch of mindless young idiots wishing to sign up for more corporatism and giving their support for more of the same in the future.

The only people throwing away their future are these humanoid drone morons who totally fail to realise how much they have in common with the young Germans who were duped into supporting the Nazis.

Good luck to these 'European's' on putting the final knives in the Nation State. Only young Brits could be this stupid.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by welshiee)
    I mean, you have a bunch of mindless young idiots wishing to sign up for more corporatism and giving their support for more of the same in the future.
    How ironic, the people who think they're above the views of experts calling other people mindless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    How ironic, the people who think they're above the views of experts calling other people mindless.
    Where did I say I was above the views of experts? Yet more words you're putting in the mouths of others. Anyway, why are you mods on here being allowed to peddle a quite obvious agenda?

The only people who are mindless are people like yourself who think experts are the fountain of all knowledge and must be correct without question. I'll stick to my scepticism and cynicism thanks. Its served me quite well up until this point.

Anyway, why did you cherry pick my point? Truth hurts?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Where did I say I was above the views of experts? Yet more words you're putting in the mouths of others. Anyway, why are you mods on here being allowed to peddle a quite obvious agenda?

The only people who are mindless are people like yourself who think experts are the fountain of all knowledge and must be correct without question. I'll stick to my scepticism and cynicism thanks. Its served me quite well up until this point.

Anyway, why did you cherry pick my point? Truth hurts?
    Given that you presumably support the UK leaving the EU, you are at odds with the overwhelming majority of experts. You don't need to admit that in order for it be true. I also don't really understand why I'm not allowed to have my own opinions just because I'm part of ST, one thing has nothing to do with another...

The other thing that really irritates me is that you're mixing up denial with skepticism. Skepticism is a brilliant thing, everyone should be skeptical. But you, just like people who reject climate change, haven't managed to realise that they've crossed the boundary between skepticism and denial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Given that you presumably support the UK leaving the EU, you are at odds with the overwhelming majority of experts.
    Yes. I am at odds with the majority of experts because I believe the baseless assumptions they've made are actually overstating the issues raised. Do I expect economic problems? Yes, but I don't need an economist to tell me that as its pretty ****ing obvious. I've worked in business long enough to know that the markets and business react to uncertainty in such a way. Its not rocket science to work out.

You are acting as if anyone that questions or is sceptical of what experts say is wrong, which is complete and utter ********, and you know it. It is perfectly fine to disagree with experts.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes. I am at odds with the majority of experts because I believe the baseless assumptions they've made are actually overstating the issues raised. Do I expect economic problems? Yes, but I don't need an economist to tell me that as its pretty ****ing obvious. I've worked in business long enough to know that the markets and business react to uncertainty in such a way. Its not rocket science to work out.

You are acting as if anyone that questions or is sceptical of what experts say is wrong, which is complete and utter ********, and you know it. It is perfectly fine to disagree with experts.
    Economics is only one part of the issue however, and it's not even the most important one in my view. There are a whole host of other very serious issues associated with leaving the European Union.

As a scientist, I am most certainly not saying that being skeptical of experts is wrong. What I am saying is that when the overwhelming majority of experts from many different backgrounds are arguing a certain case, there's probably a very good reason to listen to them, unless someone manages to come up with a convincing counterargument (which nobody has, hence the huge support amongst the informed for the pro-EU stance). I am absolutely certain that the majority of people voting to leave didn't even start to consider the impacts that leaving would have on the UK's environment, our science, our education system and on global stability, and there has been pretty dire misunderstanding about the meaning of sovereignty

Once again, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with experts if you've got a good reason to do so. But I've not heard any particularly good reasons to do so, and expert consensuses are generally worth listening to.

ReputationRep:

This is hilarious. You just proved them right. You do think you're above experts. It is fine to disagree, provided you have a good argument and proof against them because you can be damned sure they have evidence. Something tells me you don't have any of that. Typical "university of life" armchair experts.

Baseless? Lmao.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.