Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why do i need both positive and negative values (completing the square) Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I would expand the whole (x-2)^2 out to get: 3\bigg[x^2 -8x  + \frac{29}{3}\bigg] then you'd be halving -8 to get 3\bigg[(x-4)^2 + \cdots \bigg]
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Neither. To me, it looks like you need to expand the brackets (x-2)^2 first.
    oh no this is part of a question sorry, the original question is express 3x^2 -12x + 17 in the form a(x+b)^2 + c

i've got to this stage 3[(x-2)^2 - 4x + 17/3] but im unsure whether to half 4 or -4

what i understand is i got to make it into this form (x±b/2)^2 - (b/2)^2 + C
    the b in (b/2)^2 confuses me because im not sure if b in this case is -4 or 4
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I would expand the whole (x-2)^2 out to get: 3\bigg[x^2 -8x  + \frac{29}{3}\bigg] then you'd be halving -8 to get 3\bigg[(x-4)^2 + \cdots \bigg]
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Neither. To me, it looks like you need to expand the brackets (x-2)^2 first.
    actually im fine! thank you i just figured it out myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    oh no this is part of a question sorry, the original question is express 3x^2 -12x + 17 in the form a(x+b)^2 + c

i've got to this stage 3[(x-2)^2 - 4x + 17/3] but im unsure whether to half 4 or -4

what i understand is i got to make it into this form (x±b/2)^2 - (b/2)^2 + C
    the b in (b/2)^2 confuses me because im not sure if b in this case is -4 or 4
    The 'b' is always the number in front of the +x. So if you have -x, this is regarded as +(-1)(x) so b=-1. Also, I think this is a good sign for you to always include the original question in the future.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The 'b' is always the number in front of the +x. So if you have -x, this is regarded as +(-1)(x) so b=-1. Also, I think this is a good sign for you to always include the original question in the future.
    i know, i will do that from now on, also i need to know how to type mathsy signs on here properly, i can imagine its an eye sore for everyone the way i lay it out

ReputationRep:
    i know, i will do that from now on, also i need to know how to type mathsy signs on here properly, i can imagine its an eye sore for everyone the way i lay it out
    No, not really. The way you lay it out is fine.

ReputationRep:
    tfw it's 10 to 12 and you complete the square, fighting to keep your eyes open, only to find out OP no longer needs help

Feels bad man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    tfw it's 10 to 12 and you complete the square, fighting to keep your eyes open, only to find out OP no longer needs help

Feels bad man.
    If it helps, it's 10 to 3 (a.m) here.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad

Feels bad man.
    I prefer completing the triangle at 2am.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    HAI!!! just a petty question but in an expression such as 4(2-x)(2-x) how would i FOIL that because i dont know whether the 4 belongs to the first bracket or both brackets? thanks!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Feels bad man.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    HAI!!! just a petty question but in an expression such as 4(2-x)(2-x) how would i FOIL that because i dont know whether the 4 belongs to the first bracket or both brackets? thanks!
    It can belong to either one, i.e:

4(2-x)(2-x) = (8-4x)(2-x) = (2-x)(8-4x) = 4(2-x)(2-x).

I would personally leave the 4 outside for the moment, like so:

\displaystyle 4\bigg[(2-x)(2-x) \bigg] = 4\bigg[4 - 4x + x^2\bigg] = 16 - 16x + 4x^2
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It can belong to either one, i.e:

4(2-x)(2-x) = (8-4x)(2-x) = (2-x)(8-4x) = 4(2-x)(2-x).

I would personally leave the 4 outside for the moment, like so:

\displaystyle 4\bigg[(2-x)(2-x) \bigg] = 4\bigg[4 - 4x + x^2\bigg] = 16 - 16x + 4x^2
    can you leave it out like what you've done for all expressions like 4(2-x)(2-x) ?

ReputationRep:
    can you leave it out like what you've done for all expressions like 4(2-x)(2-x) ?
    Yeah, you can leave it out for anything of the form \alpha(ax - b)(cx -d)(ex-f)\cdots (yx -z).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah, you can leave it out for anything of the form \alpha(ax - b)(cx -d)(ex-f)\cdots (yx -z).
    amazing ive had this kind of expression in my calc gcse exam and was stumped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.