Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Information Security MSc 2016/17 - Suggested Background Reading! Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Excellent. Want to PM me your number and I'll come join you?

ReputationRep:
    Just in case I've missed something, has everyone already selected what modules they intend to do? I don't mean that you've just decided in your head, rather were we supposed to 'officially' select them yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazyloki)
    Just in case I've missed something, has everyone already selected what modules they intend to do? I don't mean that you've just decided in your head, rather were we supposed to 'officially' select them yet?
    Induction is on thursday so you will probably learn when you have to enroll then

check this:
    moodle.royalholloway.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys will be nice to meet up with you lots see if we can create a study group. I could use some help myself

ReputationRep:
    Name is Andrew

ReputationRep:
    Were you just in the Comp Sec lecture? Happy to meet up for a chat if you like.

ReputationRep:
    I will be at Bedford library today, if any of you want to join for study.

Let's create a study group, anyone using google hangouts? Or we could use GroupMe / Telegram! PM me so I can add you

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, congrats i got admit for sep 2017 intake..

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

I'll be joining the course in 2017, and was having a problem with the background material. If anyone would care to answer (i've emailed the university but not got a reply so thought i'd post here).

I apologise in advance if this has been answered but I don't think it has from skimming through this thread. Also some people have already started the 2016 course so would probably have the answers!

I understand on the university website there is a older recommended preliminary reading list (dated 2013): https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/isg/...uggestions.pdf This provides information on recommended books along with specific recommended reading., which is very useful as it targets to which chapters we should focus more attention on.

However, after receiving the acceptance email I understand the course recommended books have been updated (2016) via this link: http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/infosec#structure when you click each module it will take you to the module details along with recommended books. However, the updated information is very limited as for some of the books it does not give specific edition/year published, and mainly it does not provide a "specific recommended reading" information, this would be very useful in targeting me to which chapters i should spend extra attention to, as each book is almost 1000 pages in length.

I understand the 2013 reading material on the website has all these details, however the 2016 version does not. As I have copy and pasted the links above you can see the comparison. Is there any way to get specific recommended reading information for the books listed on the 2016 page. And also more specific details on all the books in terms of edition and year published (some are missing).

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I wouln't worry too much - the 2013 reading list is probably fine as the course focuses on fundamental principles that don't change much rather than cutting edge technology.

As far as specific books, it'll depend on which modules you intend to take (Core A or B). For the crypto module just get Everyday Cryptography - it is effectively the course text and follows the lessons very closely (written by the lecturer). For Security Management, get Information Security Management Principles (Taylor et al) and possibly Information Risk Management (from the same series of books).

For other modules you can probably just stick to the recommended readings from the 2013 list. You could also take a look at the MSc Sylabus webpage. If you click on the individual course titles it will open up a pdf covering the module topics and recommended readings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PotatoNerd)
    Hey guys.

I'll be joining the course in 2017, and was having a problem with the background material. If anyone would care to answer (i've emailed the university but not got a reply so thought i'd post here).

I apologise in advance if this has been answered but I don't think it has from skimming through this thread. Also some people have already started the 2016 course so would probably have the answers!

I understand on the university website there is a older recommended preliminary reading list (dated 2013): https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/isg/...uggestions.pdf This provides information on recommended books along with specific recommended reading., which is very useful as it targets to which chapters we should focus more attention on.

However, after receiving the acceptance email I understand the course recommended books have been updated (2016) via this link: http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/infosec#structure when you click each module it will take you to the module details along with recommended books. However, the updated information is very limited as for some of the books it does not give specific edition/year published, and mainly it does not provide a "specific recommended reading" information, this would be very useful in targeting me to which chapters i should spend extra attention to, as each book is almost 1000 pages in length.

I understand the 2013 reading material on the website has all these details, however the 2016 version does not. As I have copy and pasted the links above you can see the comparison. Is there any way to get specific recommended reading information for the books listed on the 2016 page. And also more specific details on all the books in terms of edition and year published (some are missing).

Thanks in advance!
    Hey PotatoNerd, I'm Vivek i will be joining this September, Nice to meet you,

ReputationRep:
    I wouln't worry too much - the 2013 reading list is probably fine as the course focuses on fundamental principles that don't change much rather than cutting edge technology.

As far as specific books, it'll depend on which modules you intend to take (Core A or B). For the crypto module just get Everyday Cryptography - it is effectively the course text and follows the lessons very closely (written by the lecturer). For Security Management, get Information Security Management Principles (Taylor et al) and possibly Information Risk Management (from the same series of books).

For other modules you can probably just stick to the recommended readings from the 2013 list. You could also take a look at the MSc Sylabus webpage. If you click on the individual course titles it will open up a pdf covering the module topics and recommended readings.
    Hey Loki, you had taken Core Module B or A?

ReputationRep:
    Officially I took B but I attended the lectures for A and B. They allow you to go to as many as you want (or have time for).

ReputationRep:
    Officially I took B but I attended the lectures for A and B. They allow you to go to as many as you want (or have time for).
    Cool, you are in FB ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, anyone starting this month with the MSc Info sec at RHUL or have finished the course already? I have a few questions to ask and would be grateful for your help. Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.