Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think the price of food is too high? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    The Brexit
    Idk they might, by the power invested in the new PM who knows what will happen?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :afraid:

We are heading towards a new economical shift, so whatever economical implications we will face, will be a result of our new economical shift.
    If we had chose to remain or leave, the outcome would have been similar, and thus the EU would have not have saved the UK if things were to really go downhill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    deffo awesome!
    lucki you, after AS exams finished they decided to set us aload of A2 work (but we got insets next week so imma chill instead :lol: )OMG Saaaaaaaaammmmmmmeeeeeeeee :rofl: so many of mi exams went bad :cry2:
    Yup atm life is good (we just got food delivered!!!!)
    Ooooh yeah rip
    Im freeeeeeee :ahee: no more school!
    Awhhh hopefully the grade boundaries are low! I think i only failed 1 of my A2 ones... and both my AS resits :rofl:
    Oops :mmm:
    Ayyyy awesome we're getting food delievered tonight too :3
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by z33)
    Ooooh yeah rip
    Im freeeeeeee :ahee: no more school!
    Awhhh hopefully the grade boundaries are low! I think i only failed 1 of my A2 ones... and both my AS resits :rofl:
    Oops :mmm:
    Ayyyy awesome we're getting food delievered tonight too :3
    Omg ur so lucky *celebr8s*
    ow man, I hope so too :lol:
    yass foood - neeeed fooooood :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    what a lazy excuse, go to morrisons or any supermarket with a salad bar, fill the large container with the salad+egg+more salad+rice+noodles and it'll last you all night. this costs like £3 and you can even see the people behind the counter preparing it which is assuring :daydreaming:
    Idiot and what eat salad everyday? You need a balanced diet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AsapRocky)
    Idiot and what eat salad everyday? You need a balanced diet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    um why not? there are vegans out there. my dinner cost as much as under £10 every night: rice, vegetable, meat, soup. you're just too uneducated and then blames it on everything else :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    what a lazy excuse, go to morrisons or any supermarket with a salad bar, fill the large container with the salad+egg+more salad+rice+noodles and it'll last you all night. this costs like £3 and you can even see the people behind the counter preparing it which is assuring :daydreaming:
    My Morrissons doesn't have this (I think)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    My Morrissons doesn't have this (I think)
    you need one of them big morrisons the morrisons by where i live was newly built so they had a lot of new cool things like sprinklers for the vegetable display...they took it down after they realised it's costly :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    you need one of them big morrisons the morrisons by where i live was newly built so they had a lot of new cool things like sprinklers for the vegetable display...they took it down after they realised it's costly :rofl2:
    actually I think there is a salad bar, but its right at the side..

My Morrisons opened like 2 years ago, but the Tesco that has been for atleast 10 years is miles better.

Also, do you use your Morrisons bakery? Mine is actually a scam, yes they scam us... The cookies always have best before date as the day after, so the cookies are always hard.

But they can't fool me, I always press down on the cookies to check:h:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    I find your fatism offensive.
    Oh no
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    actually I think there is a salad bar, but its right at the side..

My Morrisons opened like 2 years ago, but the Tesco that has been for atleast 10 years is miles better.

Also, do you use your Morrisons bakery? Mine is actually a scam, yes they scam us... The cookies always have best before date as the day after, so the cookies are always hard.

But they can't fool me, I always press down on the cookies to check:h:
    youre so on top of your game i dont use the morrisons bakery, i use the M&S ones becuase those french apricot thingys are just :coma: omg no way, my morrisons have been here for like 2 years as well!

ReputationRep:
    youre so on top of your game i dont use the morrisons bakery, i use the M&S ones becuase those french apricot thingys are just :coma: omg no way, my morrisons have been here for like 2 years as well!
    For me M&S Flapjacks and Brownies are love, and life.
    ,and yep I know all the tricks of the trade :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Raw meat, sauces, vegetables and fruits are all relatively cheap and go a long way. It's when people take those cheap meats, sauces, vegetables and fruits and package them into a single product, they cost double their worth. So make things yourself and you'll get far, snacks, ready made sandwiches, all that stuff are overpriced. Some People in Greece are really poor but look at their diets and what they eat, it's all natural and homemade because it's all they can afford and it's also their culture, but they live really long and are extremely healthy at 80 so you don't need to be rich to enjoy food and be healthy.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can grow food really cheaply?

ReputationRep:
    Price of good quality food certainly is on the high side. Population pressures easing off + technological gains + growth of agriculture in TROTW + avoidance of trade barriers currently imposed by EU customs union should help

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't know, but the price of teabags is utterly outrageous!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Only way to feed yourself these days is to buy process crap from iceland. If you want a balanced healthy diet be prepared to find employment paying 50k per year after tax

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Shop at Aldi, the prices for stuff like fruit and veg is really good, I usually have an entire basket full of fruit and veg and everything else in the other one and it usually comes out under £30

ReputationRep:
    Tech companies blame price rises on Brexit vote - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36722155

Sometimes I'm really jealous of those rats..in supermarkets.

Name:  1467818930450.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  42.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Only way to feed yourself these days is to buy process crap from iceland. If you want a balanced healthy diet be prepared to find employment paying 50k per year after tax

Posted from TSR Mobile
    complete rubbish. just learn to cook and shop.

ReputationRep:
    Question: Why or How is Aldi so cheap??

ReputationRep:
    Fresh vegetables depends on availability of local markets. In London, there are absolutely loads of fresh fruits and veg stalls that sell tomatoes for £0.69/kg and many other things for less than £2.00/kg.

The Asian diet which uses rice as a staple is incredibly cheap, £0.05 to £0.10 is more than filling for even the heartiest of appetites. It's much better to buy rice in bulk, it stores quite well in a cool/dry plastic tote.

Raw meats are cheap if you source them from either wholesalers like Bookers, or websites like JJFoodServices which currently has an offer on wings for £8.99/10kg. Normal prices of chicken is about £1.30 to £1.50 per kg, pork is about £2.50 per kg, cheese is about £2.00 to £3.00 per kg, beef is about £3.50 per kg. Ribs are pretty good value, too. But you do need a large freezer to store the food.

Other forms of protein can be fairly cheap, like 10 large eggs from Iceland/Lidl for £1.00 or canned sardines/tuna for about £3.00 per kg for sandwiches and pasta.

Spices are cheap if you visit ethnic stores (Polish/Eastern European, Persian/Arabian, Oriental/Chinese, etc).

Bread, potatoes, milk etc are cheap if you source them from somewhere like Aldi or Lidl.

Food is not too expensive, if you know where to look. If you don't, supermarkets will charge you about 50% more for most things and 100-150% more on some others (especially meat).

Toiletries are cheap enough from places like Poundland and Savers, which usually sells branded products for about 30-50% less than supermarkets.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.