Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what compromise would you accept as a REMAINER or LEAVER? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    I voted Leave. Compromises :-

1) David Cameron should remain as PM till end of this Parliament.
    2) Article 50 by MONTH end.
    3) UK to remain in EU till end of this Parliament.
    4) EU-UK trade deal by end of next Parliament. Out IS OUT, therefore no need for EEA or EFTA membership as if we wanted that then UK should remain in EU.
    5) Easy terms for visa or work permits for nationals of EU nations for as long as they have a job that pays at least £36k per annum. Same goes for UK nationals wanting to work at any EU member states.
    6) 3% customs rate on all goods and services. (Other than for alcohol and tobacco, exemption for some food products)
    7) Any HGVs arriving from EU must have less than 15% fuel in their tank and must buy a road tax for the time within UK.
    8) Trains to and from EU to pay a toll.
    9) Abolish Home/EU fees for universities.
    10) Banning of French beef and cars
    Wow, I'm a strong pro-European , and I agree on some of your points
    1. Yes, the whole mess is bc of Cameron's petty politics, he should leave. I don't care when…
    2. Yeay, by month end <3 This would mean no more uncertainty <3
    3. You know… This might be hard… BC should UK finally leave, it would be left without any trade deal… unless such deal is negotiated before leaving
    4. There will be no EU-UK trade deal, if UK doesn't accept free movement etc. (four pillars). I don't care if it will be within EFTA/CEFTA or not
    5. As I said before, no access to Single Market if free movement of ppl/workers won't be provided… So it's just in dreams but u have very good dreams…
    6. It depends on the EU-UK deal (should such deal be decided after all)
    7. We'll see…
    8. Hmmm… Good luck (Y) Moeny is money, isn't it :P
    9. You mean to make it free for all EU nationals? You're awesome <3
    10. Banning of French anything and free trade with the EU? Sounds illogical … But you know…

ReputationRep:
    As a Brexitter NONE
    We won the referendum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    I'm also supportive of leaving fully on WTO tariffs should we not get what we want.
    I agree. Couldn't care less about tarriffs. We can trade with North Africa or Israel ffs. And exciting opportunities with India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)
    The status quo will do as they please and we will all just have to accept it.
    You're really putting me on a downer, do you have depression or a hangover?

As I say, they will not keep a lid on the 17million, nor the contagion across Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Quit the rubbish. The only way to get out the EU is voting UKIP. The Tories have proved their true colours by David Cameron running with tail between his legs.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by M14B)
    As a Brexitter NONE
    We won the referendum
    You've won the battle, but you haven't won the war…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    I voted leave. Absolutely none. And soon enough, the French will be out too, when Merkel tries to homogenize further and when there are elections.
    I work with a French person and she is of the opinion that it's unlikely France would vote to leave the EU. She could be wrong however, but I asked her about the feelings of the French towards Brexit and she said they were quite disappointed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    I work with a French person and she is of the opinion that it's unlikely France would vote to leave the EU. She could be wrong however, but I asked her about the feelings of the French towards Brexit and she said they were quite disappointed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also, all eurosceptics in the European Parliament will lose a great ally… Now the German influence will be stronger…

ReputationRep:
    2) Article 50 by MONTH end.
    3) UK to remain in EU till end of this Parliament.
    5) Easy terms for visa or work permits for nationals of EU nations for as long as they have a job that pays at least £36k per annum. Same goes for UK nationals wanting to work at any EU member states.
    6) 3% customs rate on all goods and services. (Other than for alcohol and tobacco, exemption for some food products) *
    *8) Trains to and from EU to pay a toll.
    9) Abolish Home/EU fees for universities
    Do 3 and 4 not contradict each other? Once the PM invokes article 50, the UK will be out of the EU after two years, no matter what stage negotiations are at. The next general election is 4 years away.
    I don't agree with the rest of your points either, especially if 6 and 8 are imposed on people crossing the Irish border. I also strongly disagree with any policy that involves increasing tuition fees or that makes it even easier for rich people to get jobs wherever they want when poor people are stuck in one place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was 'unlikely' we would. Opinion dictated by political and media establishment. I think France would, inside a private ballot box, behave differently, and you are probably talking to a London French person similar to many remainers. The polls are actually stronger for Frexit, compared to what we looked like before.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how people could be so terminally obsessed with immigration that they are prepared to go onto WTO tariffs.

It's EEA or the highway. If we're very lucky boys and girls we might get some sop on freedom of movement but we will have to pay for it with two years of wrangling.

You'll all be singing a very different tune when the economic crisis hits, probably somehow contriving to blame it on Labour as usual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hobbiiinz)
    Wow, I'm a strong pro-European , and I agree on some of your points
    1. Yes, the whole mess is bc of Cameron's petty politics, he should leave. I don't care when…
    2. Yeay, by month end <3 This would mean no more uncertainty <3
    3. You know… This might be hard… BC should UK finally leave, it would be left without any trade deal… unless such deal is negotiated before leaving
    4. There will be no EU-UK trade deal, if UK doesn't accept free movement etc. (four pillars). I don't care if it will be within EFTA/CEFTA or not
    5. As I said before, no access to Single Market if free movement of ppl/workers won't be provided… So it's just in dreams but u have very good dreams…
    6. It depends on the EU-UK deal (should such deal be decided after all)
    7. We'll see…
    8. Hmmm… Good luck (Y) Moeny is money, isn't it :P
    9. You mean to make it free for all EU nationals? You're awesome <3
    10. Banning of French anything and free trade with the EU? Sounds illogical … But you know…
    10) France did ban British beef from entering the EU at one time and the ban went on for much longer than the actual crisis that started it for no good reason at all. Am sure something could be done.

9) Nope, I would abolish that home/EU tuition rate, everyone pays the same price that overseas students pay, same amount students from Norway and Switzerland pays.

8) Well it will be needed as in the short term there will be an economic contraction and the Exchequer will need to get money from somewhere..

6) A deal WILL be agreed upon, EU would be silly to not jump on the deal I've put forward especially considering UK is among the biggest markets for many products from both France and Germany. Remember car ownership in Britain is still growing while the opposite is starting to be true in many of the big car producing nations of EU including France.

5) We are not asking for EEA membership, therefore if they choose not to take this then WTO rules will apply. Surely 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing for them?

4) You do realize that UK doesn't need to be in the single market in order to trade with EU right? How do you reckon Japanese and Korean cars make their way to the UK and German market? Not all of them are made in EU. You do realize that many BMWs and Mercedes sold in UK are not made in Germany but in South Africa right?

3) I believe the EU has stated that UK must be OUT of the EU before a trade deal or terms for access to the single market could be negotiated. Let's not get too carried away that the EU would want to leave UK adrift without a trade deal, spite rarely ever makes it in international politics.

2) Yes it is high time to move on.

1) Did he cause this mess? I don't believe so, he simply delivered what the British people wanted which was a referendum on EU membership, which was fair and square, remember UK first voted for membership in the EEC and not what it had morphed into today. I'd have wished it was done better and with more conditions such as minimum turnout of 75% and a majority of 65% in order for there to be no 2nd round, what is done is done and the PM is still the best person to continue steering the ship.

Contrary to being a Brexiter, am not anti-EU, the opposite is true for me, I'm very much for a strong and stable EU. The only way for that to happen is for further integration and UK needs to be out of the picture in order for that to happen. The whole Brexit episode will probably spearhead the entire reforms process to address the democratic deficit and disconnection most people feel about the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    I don't understand how people could be so terminally obsessed with immigration that they are prepared to go onto WTO tariffs.

It's EEA or the highway. If we're very lucky boys and girls we might get some sop on freedom of movement but we will have to pay for it with two years of wrangling.

You'll all be singing a very different tune when the economic crisis hits, probably somehow contriving to blame it on Labour as usual.
    More scaremongering from you as usual and yes Labour will be to blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMagic)
    Do 3 and 4 not contradict each other? Once the PM invokes article 50, the UK will be out of the EU after two years, no matter what stage negotiations are at. The next general election is 4 years away.
    I don't agree with the rest of your points either, especially if 6 and 8 are imposed on people crossing the Irish border. I also strongly disagree with any policy that involves increasing tuition fees or that makes it even easier for rich people to get jobs wherever they want when poor people are stuck in one place.
    In a way 3 & 4 does contradict, however it does appear that the EU won't do a deal anyway until UK is out of the EU first. Therefore am sure an agreement could be secured to buy some time and give continuity in the name of business efficacy.

Wasn't it the poorer that voted for less immigration and less freedom of movement of persons? This policy would be beneficial to the less well off of society since they won't face competition for jobs any longer (whether such jobs would remain in UK or not is another question)

Why the Irish border but not the Channel?

Tuition fees must go up, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    More scaremongering from you as usual and yes Labour will be to blame.
    Exactly how do you plan to blame Labour for the Brexit recession?

It's always fascinating to get inside the self-justifying, cognitively dissonant mind of a Tory partisan...

ReputationRep:

I didn't vote leave because of immigration. WTO is fine with me or even EEA for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly how do you plan to blame Labour for the Brexit recession?

It's always fascinating to get inside the self-justifying, cognitively dissonant mind of a Tory partisan...
    It all goes back to incidences during Labour's time.

Much of the Euroscepticism came about and gained traction during 2004, the enlargement of Eastern bloc countries into the EU to be specific. Labour kept the damn floodgates wide open and let in all those people in when they should have waited instead of allowing them free access to the labour market.

UK would never had left the EU if such types of mass migration were prevented in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    It all goes back to incidences during Labour's time.

Much of the Euroscepticism came about and gained traction during 2004, the enlargement of Eastern bloc countries into the EU to be specific. Labour kept the damn floodgates wide open and let in all those people in when they should have waited instead of allowing them free access to the labour market.

UK would never had left the EU if such types of mass migration were prevented in the first place.
    you could argue that the maximum size of the EU should be about USA size (350m) - eg the EURO nations.

In a sense we are out of the EU already (not in Euro) except we still have a say at the top table via our MEPs and PM.

If we leave for real then perhaps everything will stay the same except we will no longer be able to have a say which probably will erode the city and most of our money will end up in Paris..

I cant see how any of this can end well.

ReputationRep:
    In a way 3 & 4 does contradict, however it does appear that the EU won't do a deal anyway until UK is out of the EU first. Therefore am sure an agreement could be secured to buy some time and give continuity in the name of business efficacy.

Wasn't it the poorer that voted for less immigration and less freedom of movement of persons? This policy would be beneficial to the less well off of society since they won't face competition for jobs any longer (whether such jobs would remain in UK or not is another question)

Why the Irish border but not the Channel?

Tuition fees must go up, sorry.
    I don't think lack of jobs is the problem the poor face, it's the fact that they aren't qualified for the jobs that are there. *Anyone can stack shelves in a supermarket (which means more applicants) but not everyone has the qualifications or skills to be an engineer, teacher or doctor *We need more affordable vocational training to encourage people to pursue careers and to not accept the first job that comes along just to pay the bills.
    I also don't think it's surprising that the poor have fallen for media lies that immigrants are to blame for everything, especially with all the ISIS attacks and refugee crisis atm.

The Channel is a geographical border clearly separating two land masses, but the Irish one is political. It would hurt all-Ireland trade if tariffs were imposed and would severely hurt the peace process if we suddenly had to produce passports to drive along a road or pay extra for train journeys.Not to mention that all the constituencies on the border in NI wanted to stay in the EU.

Why do tuition fees have to go up? The vast majority of people already won't be able to pay them back so the current system can't be sustainable. *It would cause even more problems if they stopped providing loans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    You're really putting me on a downer, do you have depression or a hangover?

As I say, they will not keep a lid on the 17million, nor the contagion across Europe.
    Wait and see then. Its all been too easy up to this points which raises a lot of suspicions from me. I am neither depressed or suffering from a hangover, I am a sceptic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.