Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    I had full ums on one of my history papers and still awaiting the other two this august :innocent: so hoping they come out as good but my revision for history were all the same throughout.

i rewrite the whole course into my own notes on A4, each page covering one event - basically copy out my book but without all the other nonsense, this does depends if your book is amazingly detailed throughout the year, otherwise i would go on my exam board's website for the content (which they so kind to provide)

after i've compiled the A4 notes, i just read it over and over, since i just read i start early in the year. i think to myself that it's like reading a book, a story so i can remember the ''plot'' in that historical period better.

when i do mocks in class, my teacher go over it with us and she does an amazing job at telling u the structure of answers. so when exams approach i look at my mocks for how to answer the questions.

and thats it

Thanks for the reply- Best of luck with your results. Well done for scoring full ums- that's a big achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    To write a good History essay, you need to have the correct mindset. You're not telling a story, you're a lawyer making an argument while discounting your opponent's argument.

Generally you only should write three main points, your argument shouldn't be balanced but there must be a counterargument. So generally two points for your view and one point for the opposing. Always end the opposing your point by bringing it back to your argument, if you can't do this don't worry but I always get a smiley face from my teacher when I do it.

You need specific evidence. That's not reeling off a full date and/or time. But instead of saying "the Reichstag Fire enabled Hitler to ban opponents", you need to be specific. What caused Hitler to ban opponents? It wasn't just the Reichstag fire was it? It was because of certain actions taken by Hitler following the fire. It's much easier to expand off of evidence when it's specific, rather than vague evidence.

Most importantly - know your stuff!

I'll give you brownie points for the most informative, inspiring reply to this thread. The lawyer analogy works well! Guess I better get started...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tameimpalaaa)
    Thanks for the reply- Best of luck with your results. Well done for scoring full ums- that's a big achievement.
    If I send you a bit of what I've written so far- Can you tell me if I'm on the right lines?

ReputationRep:
    If you could help me that would be great. Can I send you what I've planned so far?
    Of course

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you brownie points for the most informative, inspiring reply to this thread. The lawyer analogy works well! Guess I better get started...
    Glad to hear it was helpful!

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.