Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    Wow this is one of, if not the dumbest comment on this thread. Are you buying the mac because of what people think?? Didnt you read the title OP needs a laptop for development.

phucking noob
    Uhh yes many people do buy more expensive things such as expensive clothes and some people buy macs as they think they are better and are cooler, it is true.
    And if OP is looking for development 100% windows with a Linux partition would be far better than using mac

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zackdove)
    I don't think anyone actually buys expensive clothes because they're expensive...

"Some people buy macs as they think they are better" - Isn't that a pretty decent and valid reason for buying one?

I don't think anyone actually buys expensive clothes because they're expensive...

Many people do, either just so they can be like oh my superdry shirt was £60 or some just because of the brand

"Some people buy macs as they think they are better" - Isn't that a pretty decent and valid reason for buying one?
    Think is not the same as are. If people actually did some research they may find that windows is far better. or linux or any non apple product

ReputationRep:
    Just go to an apple store and try it out. If you like it, buy it. Its a pretty good choice. If not, there are plenty of good options for windows like the surface book or the xps 13.

There isn't really a pc vs mac anymore. Its just personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    Whoa cringe... I think you're a bit out of touch with normal people if you genuinely think that people go around bragging about superdry shirts

Legit go read around about it now, discard whatever research you've done and go read up about it. The general consensus is that OS X/MacOS is better than windows for software development (although it doesnt really make much difference), as well the fact that you can take it straight into an apple store to get it fixed, will last longer than the 1 or 2 years that pcs last, and are just generally more reliable. I'd rather spend an extra couple hundred on something that works well like a mac or a razer blade pro than pay less for the same 'specs' that will go to **** within a year or two.

Ahahahahhah. Yes some people do go around boasting about clothes.

It is no where near as good for software dev.

Getting software can be a real pain and sometimes impossible for OSX and even if you do have the software to emulate whatever you need there are still many issues too deep to go into.

Repairing it costs, unless you buy overpriced warranty and since apple use vastly different designs and parts they cost a lot more, and repairing a mac and home even I would not want to do, granted a laptop does cost money to repair but you can normally do it at home or get it done cheap. A macbook pro is £150+ for a new battery!

Saying 1-2 years is the lifespan of a laptop is crazy, many laptops I know people have had for many years, and sure while my 4+ year old laptop is not state of the art it can still code compile and do a lot of what I need. putting in a ssd takes less than 30 mins and can revitalize most old laptops.

Much like macs the razer blade pro and most gaming laptops are a ripoff. they cost far far too much. And What do you mean "specs" if they are the same the computer should run close to if not the same as another overall. and before you even consider a gaming laptop look for a PC and only get one if you really cant fit a pc even with a micro atx board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alldayniqqa)
    Just go to an apple store and try it out. If you like it, buy it. Its a pretty good choice. If not, there are plenty of good options for windows like the surface book or the xps 13.

There isn't really a pc vs mac anymore. Its just personal preference.
    There really is,Please do not contribute if you do not know much about the subject
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    In most of my developer jobs I was using a Mac, as were my colleagues. At first I hated it, but now I've gotten used to it and it would be very difficult to switch to Windows now. It's just so much more convenient.
    Update: even in my engineering role, I'm still using a Mac or CentOS or RHEL and iOS/Android for devices. The only time I bother with Windows is for IE as and when required otherwise I just stick with Chrome as my default - though sometimes Firefox and Safari as and when required.

Unless Windows is absolutely necessary for your role or course and you cannot perform the tasks required without it, then don't bother and switch over to Linux or UNIX.

Note: you can get some amazing Windows setups, so ultimately it's down to your preference. Whether or not your company is paying may also influence your decision of course.

I have both at home and generally use Windows for gaming.

ReputationRep:
    Mac for style, PC for functionality and ability to customise. If you're going laptops then I can see the interest in Mac, but depending on the work (if it requires a touch screen and pen etc. PC is the way forward. You also get a lot more variety with PC, whereas with Mac you're stuck with Apple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    There really is,Please do not contribute if you do not know much about the subject
    errr pretty much the only difference between macOS and windows 10 is video games support. After that its just which you prefer.

Coming off as a bit arrogant mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Ahahahahhah. Yes some people do go around boasting about clothes.

It is no where near as good for software dev.

Getting software can be a real pain and sometimes impossible for OSX and even if you do have the software to emulate whatever you need there are still many issues too deep to go into.

Repairing it costs, unless you buy overpriced warranty and since apple use vastly different designs and parts they cost a lot more, and repairing a mac and home even I would not want to do, granted a laptop does cost money to repair but you can normally do it at home or get it done cheap. A macbook pro is £150+ for a new battery!

Saying 1-2 years is the lifespan of a laptop is crazy, many laptops I know people have had for many years, and sure while my 4+ year old laptop is not state of the art it can still code compile and do a lot of what I need. putting in a ssd takes less than 30 mins and can revitalize most old laptops.

Much like macs the razer blade pro and most gaming laptops are a ripoff. they cost far far too much. And What do you mean "specs" if they are the same the computer should run close to if not the same as another overall. and before you even consider a gaming laptop look for a PC and only get one if you really cant fit a pc even with a micro atx board.
    1) If you boast about super dry, you probably can't dress.

2) Software compatibility is no where near as bad it used to be and it is not very hard to run windows via bootcamp or VM if you want.

3) MacBooks have superior build quality compared to a lot of other laptops (not all) and I'm pretty sure if you buy with unidays, you get 3 years applecare for free. I think they stopped this but thats what I got so not overpriced if free

4) Why are you even recommending a PC? You get this all the time in these threads. OP wants a laptop. If you can find a way for them to lug a pc around in their bag then thats great but I don't think that possible. And with a mac, or any other premium laptop/ultrabook, your paying for high build quality and a long lasting product. My old macbook lasted me 6 years before I got a new one whereas my brothers HP lasted 2.

ReputationRep:
    Perfect example of why people hate comp sci students lol
    I don't even do comp sci. I am just trying to help op

ReputationRep:
    1) If you boast about super dry, you probably can't dress.

2) Software compatibility is no where near as bad it used to be and it is not very hard to run windows via bootcamp or VM if you want.

3) MacBooks have superior build quality compared to a lot of other laptops (not all) and I'm pretty sure if you buy with unidays, you get 3 years applecare for free. I think they stopped this but thats what I got so not overpriced if free

4) Why are you even recommending a PC? You get this all the time in these threads. OP wants a laptop. If you can find a way for them to lug a pc around in their bag then thats great but I don't think that possible. And with a mac, or any other premium laptop/ultrabook, your paying for high build quality and a long lasting product. My old macbook lasted me 6 years before I got a new one whereas my brothers HP lasted 2.

I personally do not boast about superdry as I do not buy them I was just giving a example of a clothes manufacturer.

True not as bad but why pay over the odds to emulate windows/linux.

They really do not. sure they look sleek but many components are made by the same people or are not better at all.

As I said since you were talking about a gaming laptop that you should only consider one if all other options are out of the question this was in response to you not op.

ReputationRep:
    errr pretty much the only difference between macOS and windows 10 is video games support. After that its just which you prefer.

Coming off as a bit arrogant mate
    Not really, there are tons of differences especially if you are looking to use it for programming or anything more advanced than going on the internet. There is ton more options for Windows and Even as others suggest Linux or something similar.

And no its not arrogant, I accept that I know more about some things than most and less about some things than most. I would not go into a forum about football and try and give advice or try and give advice to someone looking for help with Biology as my knowledge is very limited on both

ReputationRep:
    Don't claim to be helping OP when you're just making stuff up now
    the CPU was updated to a faster, non-custom Penryn CPU and integrated Nvidia GeForce graphics while the hard drive capacity was increased and the micro-DVI video port was replaced by the Mini DisplayPort.[11] A mid-2009 refresh, introduced alongside the MacBook Pro family, featured a slightly higher-capacity battery, and a faster Penryn CPU.

Intel HD Graphics 6000

dual-core Intel Core i5
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    Geforce 9400M

Before saying I am making things up please check your facts.
    these have been taken from wikepedia as I cannot be bothered to type and look these up individually.

there are 1000's more things that they use the same and some things that are custom. but many are shared between different computers

ReputationRep:
    Similar situation myself, need to buy a laptop for first year comp sci. After researching I consider the best 'ultrabook' laptops for students to be macbooks, or Dell's XPS series. Both of these are due a refresh, so I personally will be waiting to see what develops there.
    They trump the competition in terms of build quality, while still providing the classic attributes of an ultrabook, such as: lightweight, quiet, long battery life etc... Also a 526gb ssd is important for me.

p.s. with unidays, you can get a 15% from dell and 10% from apple

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if you're a troll and I'm being baited really bad or not....
    Pretty sure most laptops have a fair few more components than a processor and graphics card though... Obviously the main components are gonna be intel/amd/nvidia but the build quality of a laptop is so much more than that
    The main components are a big part of build quality but many of the basic chips are also the same or using the exact same technology

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.