Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Cameron be held accountable for having a referendum without an exit plan? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theplace)
    Cameron: Should we hold him accountable?
    No.

The referendum was advisory, therefore he legally had no obligation to do anything at all. Additionally, he is now resigning so the proper way to hold him accountable (kicking him out in a general election) is probably not available to his constituents).

He's lost and he's payed a price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Typical Leaver blaming others for the mess they have left the country in. If Cameron were suppose to have a Leave plan, where is Farage's Remain plan?

Actually, I have found Cameron's Leave plan Its quite brief its says "you are screwed".
    Nigel Farage was not even part of the official leave campaign, so to blame him for not having a "leave plan" is incoherent and unfair. Boris Johnson made it quite clear that he wanted to lead the country, before he was stabbed in the back by Michael Gove. Although David Cameron should have had a leave plan, at least he's accepted the result and isn't whinging about it like most of the hysterical left. Andrea Ledsom, the favourite to lead the Conservatives, has already set out her position for the UK post-Brexit and you should read it if you're so interested.

ReputationRep:
    No. Cameron did not want the UK to leave the EU, and quite rightly is not wanting to having anything to do with this train-wreck of an idea. Besides, the pro-Brexit Tories are insisting the next PM be a Brexiter, as they would not trust a Remain PM to work according to what they perceive as their interests.

Cameron is not to blame.

But every Leaver is.

ReputationRep:
    lol wait so brexiters failed so theyre now scraping the bottom of the barrel and are now blaming cameron for something he was against and something they voted for.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't actually disliked another politician more in my life. Called the referendum only to quiet down the orcs in his own party. Didn't give a **** about the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisuphos)
    I haven't actually disliked another politician more in my life. Called the referendum only to quiet down the orcs in his own party. Didn't give a **** about the country.
    I think Cameron can be rightly knocked for having a referendum in the first place, yes, but I don't think it's fair to knock him for not making plans for something he wanted nothing to do with.

ReputationRep:
    How could he have a plan when leaver's had no idea what they were voting for?

Ideally there would have been another option on the EUref:

Do we stay in EEA or not?

As there was not we have no idea what people who voted leave wanted. Other than vague promises and lies set out by the leave campaign.

Anyway the civil service will have contigency plans and it's up to the leave campaign to own it.

ReputationRep:
    Even if the referendum was "advisory" or not, it shows true leadership and democracy to be able to hold a referendum even though you don't want to leave. The only people who are accountable are those who voted leave, obviously. They tick the leave box and expect Cameron to have this master plan of how the UK economy will revive and everyone will be prosperous, wrong. They should spend a day in his shoes, wouldn't last a minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    I think Cameron can be rightly knocked for having a referendum in the first place, yes, but I don't think it's fair to knock him for not making plans for something he wanted nothing to do with.
    I don't disagree that it is nonsense to call Cameron out for not having a Brexit plan.

But I do blame him, btw, for making people believe that he's going to continue be PM if Leave won. That's not a small thing, people expected stability post-Brexit and likely boosted support for Leave. I also blame him for saying that he will invoke article 50 immediately after the vote (if Leave wins). That too likely boosted support for Brexit as it implied that political uncertainty will be diminished.

But most of all, I blame him for being a populist p.o.s. whose primary interest was to placate senseless intra-Tory conflicts to save his career at the expense of his country's prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not if he wasnt planning on doing the negotiations. thats only an exit the brexiters know about. How can he know whar was on their mind when they dont know themselves? If they want to leave then its ridiculous you expect him to know their minds and do their job for them.
    I started this thread for,input, but I really disagree that Cameron had no duty to inquire.
    If you and I ask our children whether they want to go to the zoo or the circus, and I'm responsible for the zoo choice, wouldn't you ask me if I knew where the zoo was and if I had transportation, tickets, etc, to prevent hysteria in the children?
    Osborne admitted he had done no planning for a Brexit.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I started this thread fur input, but I really disagree that Cameron had no duty to inquire.
    If you and I ask our children whether they want to go to the zoo or the circus, and I'm responsible for the zoo choice, wouldn't you ask me if I knew where the zoo was and if I had transportation, tickets, etc, to prevent hysteria in the children?
    Osborne admitted he had done no planning for a Brexit.
    What is it you dont get? If Cameron isnt in charge, then negotiations are for the next PM. Your example is a poor one, the responsibiliyu for the trip is with someone else. In respect of what happens to the country in the meatime we have a civil service for that. Cameron is still running the country on all other matters.

ReputationRep:
    What is it you dont get? If Cameron isnt in charge, then negotiations are for the next PM. Your example is a poor one, the responsibiliyu for the trip is with someone else. In respect of what happens to the country in the meatime we have a civil service for that. Cameron is still running the country on all other matters.
    Thankyou. It's hard for me to see the country and people in such chaos,,and limbo.
    But accepting your premise, who was he supposed to hand the baton to? UKIP?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thankyou. It's hard for me to see the country and people in such chaos,,and limbo.
    But accepting your premise, who was he supposed to hand the baton to? UKIP?
    The next PM ofc.

You talk about holding him accountable , but for what?
    He is still PM till a new one is elected.
    He will be handing responsibiliyu to whoever is selected.
    What is difficult to understand about that?
    He is still running the country in the meantime.
    It takes time to hand over. Dave can hardly sort it all out overnight , even if he were staying.

ReputationRep:
    Not really.
    It was a good idea for the chancellor to have a contingency plan. He did.
    For the BOE to have a contingency plan, they did.

As the PM rightly isnt staying on, then its quite right the other PM (preferably a Brexit person) should deal with the exit terms as only they will know what they want. Nobody else in the country knows.
    The chancellor said he had NOT looked Brexit at all. The plan was in case the market failed for any reason.

ReputationRep:
    The next PM ofc.

You talk about holding him accountable , but for what?
    He is still PM till a new one is elected.
    He will be handing responsibiliyu to whoever is selected.
    What is difficult to understand about that?
    He is still running the country in the meantime.
    It takes time to hand over. Dave can hardly sort it all out overnight , even if he were staying.
    So where was his committee to answer questions? Instead it's been a bit here and there from contenders and all contradictory.
    Are eu passport holders expected to leave in two years if they arent UK citizens etc? Where is that team?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The chancellor said he had NOT looked Brexit at all. The plan was in case the market failed for any reason.
    You might wnat to read about what Careny and osborne put in place and hiow the system reacted. What measures do you think he should have put in place and how are you holding Dave accountable?

You keep that righteous fury up.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.