• Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by the bear)

:bawling:**

ReputationRep:
    So right now we've priced in brexit and the interest rate cut so I don't think it will go down much more. May be 1.17 against the euro and 1.30 against the dollar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)

:bawling:**

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    i think once the full effect kicks in maybe 0.8 euros
    Do you seriously think it will go that low? I'd be pretty concerned about the future of the UK as a country if it does, our export potential is simply not strong enough.

One thing that will be decisive is the extent to which free access for London's financial services to the EU market becomes restrained. This seems likely, as Brussels have been trying for a long time to clamp down on the offshore-haven style of regulation and management that characterises the City, not to mention its highly protectionist legal structure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Make it sound like a Strugatsky sci-fi novel.
    Does Tarkovsky's Stalker come from his work? Can't be bothered to look it up. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I didn't realise it was that low already. Thought the Brexiters had been a bit quiet lately on economics. As I remember it was forecast to be £1.20 by the end of the year; we're already past that.

Surely it will reach parity with the euro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Wow, I didn't realise it was that low already. Thought the Brexiters had been a bit quiet lately on economics. As I remember it was forecast to be £1.20 by the end of the year; we're already past that.

There seems to be a general instruction out in the Tory party not to mention the economy at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Is that a picture from 'Money Laundering Today' magazine?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Is that a picture from 'Money Laundering Today' magazine?
    no it's bear™'s holiday fund *

ReputationRep:
    Does Tarkovsky's Stalker come from his work? Can't be bothered to look it up. :teehee:
    Yes. Based on the book Roadside Picnic :top:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...oadside_Picnic

Video game Stalker is also based on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MnWhCntBMvd)
    So right now we've priced in brexit and the interest rate cut so I don't think it will go down much more. May be 1.17 against the euro and 1.30 against the dollar
    What Brexit though? In my view EEA is priced in. That is barely Brexit at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MnWhCntBMvd)
    it is the calm before the storm :yep: *

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    no it's bear™'s holiday fund *
    Monaco here you go! :lol:

ReputationRep:

How low can you go!

ReputationRep:
    May dip close to € parity over the course of next 6-12 months, but will rise again as the Eurozone crisis re-intensifies/when the EU collapses. I'd focus on the £/GLD price if I were you (and consider hedging against large GDP denominated liquid funds with physical gold) :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Do you seriously think it will go that low? I'd be pretty concerned about the future of the UK as a country if it does, our export potential is simply not strong enough.

One thing that will be decisive is the extent to which free access for London's financial services to the EU market becomes restrained. This seems likely, as Brussels have been trying for a long time to clamp down on the offshore-haven style of regulation and management that characterises the City, not to mention its highly protectionist legal structure.
    Well for years the City have been telling us they will leave and go to Switzerland so maybe the threat of us being outside the EU will force them to do it.

Also I see Hollande is bidding to try and get Paris to tempt the City away from London. He is seeing the potential tax revenues that will come in from financial services like the UK got in the 2000s. What could possibly go wrong with this strategy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    If there is a real crisis in sterling like that we could announce a peg to the Euro and raise interest rates in the UK accordingly to keep us one for one with the Euro.

This would give businesses certainty as it would mean that those trading with Eurozone countries would be able to plan that there would be no currency fluctuations. If it was an official policy they could also accept Euros as legal currency in the UK.

Other countries do this with the dollar.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.