Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need to make a decision like right now and I need somebody to make me confident in Watch

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sami2k16;66315228]Sure, but why not in Scotland?

Or do a BSc in Scotland for free as a EU student, doesn't really matter. I was just trying to get across that it would probably be cheaper and easier to do an undergrad degree here followed by going straight into grad medicine here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=kmedicine2016;66318072]
    (Original post by sami2k16)
    Sure, but why not in Scotland?

Or do a BSc in Scotland for free as a EU student, doesn't really matter. I was just trying to get across that it would probably be cheaper and easier to do an undergrad degree here followed by going straight into grad medicine here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes it's cheaper though money is not the only factor I am considering. Thank you .

ReputationRep:
    Another, cheaper option would be to attend a community college first and then transfer to a university. Then I would be able to be in California for 2 years at least.

Is Abertay University reputable? I heard many different things.

ReputationRep:
    Another, cheaper option would be to attend a community college first and then transfer to a university. Then I would be able to be in California for 2 years at least.

Is Abertay University reputable? I heard many different things.
    I'm not familiar with the exact Abertay course, but I imagine that it's quite vocational, with the focus on preparing you to work as a biomedical scientist in the NHS (versus at somewhere like Dundee where there's more of a focus on preparing you for a PhD and research/academia). Abertay offer a clinical placement in third year which gets you automatic HCPC qualification after you've graduated, for example, which is great if you want to be a biomedical scientist but not relevant if you want to do medicine.

Dundee is a great student city and lots of fun (so I hear ... I'm heading there next year so I hope this is the case!). The cost if living is very cheap by UK standards.

In terms of Abertay's reputation, it's a modern and vocational university, which means that it's poorly regarded in the UK. We tend to look down on universities that provide useful and practical skills for the workplace, and elevate universities that teach exclusively academic subjects without any focus on vocational skills ('proper' universities teach Latin, not videogame design). To put it bluntly, nobody in the UK will be impressed that you went to Abertay, in the way that they'd be impressed if you went to Oxford/Cambridge, London, or even a Russell Group.

But if you're applying to graduate medical courses in the UK or Ireland, getting a First or a 2.1 is far more important than where studied. And although name recognition might matter more overseas, this may be as simple as 'Oxbridge vs non-Oxbridge' - I'm fairly sure that US medical school application boards won't have the faintest idea of how Abertay compares with Dundee or Durham or Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivemed56)
    I'm not familiar with the exact Abertay course, but I imagine that it's quite vocational, with the focus on preparing you to work as a biomedical scientist in the NHS (versus at somewhere like Dundee where there's more of a focus on preparing you for a PhD and research/academia). Abertay offer a clinical placement in third year which gets you automatic HCPC qualification after you've graduated, for example, which is great if you want to be a biomedical scientist but not relevant if you want to do medicine.

Dundee is a great student city and lots of fun (so I hear ... I'm heading there next year so I hope this is the case!). The cost if living is very cheap by UK standards.

In terms of Abertay's reputation, it's a modern and vocational university, which means that it's poorly regarded in the UK. We tend to look down on universities that provide useful and practical skills for the workplace, and elevate universities that teach exclusively academic subjects without any focus on vocational skills ('proper' universities teach Latin, not videogame design). To put it bluntly, nobody in the UK will be impressed that you went to Abertay, in the way that they'd be impressed if you went to Oxford/Cambridge, London, or even a Russell Group.

But if you're applying to graduate medical courses in the UK or Ireland, getting a First or a 2.1 is far more important than where studied. And although name recognition might matter more overseas, this may be as simple as 'Oxbridge vs non-Oxbridge' - I'm fairly sure that US medical school application boards won't have the faintest idea of how Abertay compares with Dundee or Durham or Manchester.
    Thank you! The placement is offered in the applied route only. I'm choosing the standard route which is relevant to medicine (that's what's written on their website). However, I would intend to change to the University of Dundee in Year 2 if I chose Scotland.

Compared to Robert Gordon University, is Abertay better or worse?

ReputationRep:
    If just anybody could comment on that. Robert Gordon have a 3 year course in Biomedical Science that is available in Clearing and I think I'd be able to get into if I wanted. Are they better or worse than Abertay?

ReputationRep:
    If just anybody could comment on that. Robert Gordon have a 3 year course in Biomedical Science that is available in Clearing and I think I'd be able to get into if I wanted. Are they better or worse than Abertay?
    Try on the Scotland forum; neither has a medical school so you're unlikely to get much information from us folks on this thread...

ReputationRep:
    Neither of them are considered very highly tbh. The Scottish unis most people will be moderately impressed by are Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews and then maybe Dundee and Aberdeen. AFAIK the rest are all newish and there's not much to differentiate them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivemed56)
    Try on the Scotland forum; neither has a medical school so you're unlikely to get much information from us folks on this thread...
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Neither of them are considered very highly tbh. The Scottish unis most people will be moderately impressed by are Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews and then maybe Dundee and Aberdeen. AFAIK the rest are all newish and there's not much to differentiate them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks to both of you .
    My favorite is the US, then the UK. I'll look forward to make a decision in the next few days.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Sounds to me like part of you has already decided

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Sounds to me like part of you has already decided

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would this be a bad thing? Yes, somehow I know what I want but I'll need to check because of the finances.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Would this be a bad thing? Yes, somehow I know what I want but I'll need to check because of the finances.
    Well I don't know how the finances work in other countries so I can't really advise in that respect other than tell you to make sure it's affordable. But honestly, if you don't follow your heart you'll regret it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.