Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BREXIT: intense pressure on Swiss to hold second referendum.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)
    Wait and see. You're in for a shock.
    What a vague and meaningless statement. Want to put a definition and timescale on this? You know, so that we can with confidence call you a conspiracy theorist lunatic when the time comes?

ReputationRep:
    I voted Out but i don't see what the EU is doing wrong here other than not pandering against its own interests.

The Swiss signed a contractual agreement which included free movement for full access to the single market, the Swiss now want full access to the single market without free movement. Why would it be in the EU's interests to agree to that?

Either the Swiss have to back down or they need to offer the EU something they don't already have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)
    Wait and see. You're in for a shock.
    I bet you want to go back to warring tribes on the British isles don't you? You live in the state of the UK and your government has a monopoly on the use of force.

I'm not fundamentally against the idea of a European transnational government having a monopoly on the sue of force over Europe. As long as it had the same ideals as liberal democracies like us do now that is preferable to the current set up where we are at risk of war between countries because there is no "leviathan" to keep them in check. But I would not want to submit to something like the Soviet Union having a monopoly of force. So err.... bring it on?

It's a moot point anyway because there is no such thing as an EU army and police force at this time and the EU can not physically stop us. Of course the current modern power seems to rely in money and they can **** us over that way. But then we have probably just voted to loose even more of our sovereignty to these money forces by voting to leave. You haven't got your country back at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    What a vague and meaningless statement. Want to put a definition and timescale on this? You know, so that we can with confidence call you a conspiracy theorist lunatic when the time comes?
    Within 15 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I voted Out but i don't see what the EU is doing wrong here other than not pandering against its own interests.

The Swiss signed a contractual agreement which included free movement for full access to the single market, the Swiss now want full access to the single market without free movement. Why would it be in the EU's interests to agree to that?

Either the Swiss have to back down or they need to offer the EU something they don't already have.
    I agree and it's pretty clear the "Swiss option" is not realistic for the UK as it is complicated, causes constant arguments and involves free movement, non negotiably.

I've made other posts on here about the false idea some people have of Switzerland in the UK, loads of times I hear friends moaning about the cost of living in London and 'rip off Britain', moaning about the excessive rules and regulations over here and say they are going to leave and move to Switzerland where it's expensive to live and has a lot of regulations (introduced by the Swiss government, not the EU!) that we would regard as petty.

It seems like in the Brexit debate some people have conjured an idea of Switzerland being a clean, safe, rich independent country that controls its own borders and is free from EU immigration.

A few Leavers I have spoken to recently seem to think the UK is going to get a deal like Switzerland but with the UK allowed to control migration from the EU and have passporting for financial services so the City can continue to provide services in the UK. It's not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    Maybe we should die our hair blue, apply to study sociology at Goldsmiths and spend the next few months swarming the streets of London calling all those who voted to leave bigots and racists? I mean, I will if you will.
    thanks for your kind offer

why, go ahead if you so wish ! your effort is highly appreciated and sorely needed

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.