Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sexuality - Part of your DNA??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Part of the Y chromosome and it's associated histones. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Sexuality is influenced by a complex interplay between the genetics and environment,many scientists believe.
    is that what you believe? Are people who are into BDSM were spanked too much as a child?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReader)
    is that what you believe? Are people who are into BDSM were spanked too much as a child?
    Actually, fetishes end up being almost ''biologically rooted'' in people and these roots that can be traced back to childhood experiences. It's the reason why so many people who may have been abused by a pedophile as a child/teen can end up having an interest in pedophilia aswell.

So your BDSM suggestion, in theory, could make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Actually, fetishes end up being almost ''biologically rooted'' in people and these roots that can be traced back to childhood experiences. It's the reason why so many people who may have been abused by a pedophile as a child/teen can end up having an interest in pedophilia aswell.

Are you a sexologist ?You are too good at this lol.
    Whats your view on the recent clinical trial to prevent paedophiles offending by reducing their testereone levels with drugs ?

ReputationRep:

Interesting. Although, it's probably more complex than that. Plus, people who enjoy BDSM are probably not as psychologically 'damaged' than someone who was sexually abused as a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Are you a sexologist ?You are too good at this lol.
    Whats your view on the recent clinical trial to prevent paedophiles offending by reducing their testereone levels with drugs ?
    Hahah nope I have simply read around the matter before.

If there's proof it could work, then I'd say go for it, as at present in terms of therapy there's really not much you can do. There's no telling whether a person will forever be able to repress their desires once they've been through therapy and may just relapse into such ''habits''.

I would also hope that if these were found to be effective, that everyone who needed them were given them free of charge because of the urgency.

(Original post by TheReader)
    Interesting. Although, it's probably more complex than that. Plus, people who enjoy BDSM are probably not as psychologically 'damaged' than someone who was sexually abused as a child.
    I agree, I've probably simplified it and I don't think there's simply enough research as of yet to say how they arise. It will be very interesting to see in the future how science eventually answers such questions as how fetishes arise and 100% conclude what determines sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    Probably like 10/20% nature 80/90% nurture/environment imo

ReputationRep:
    Hahah nope I have simply read around the matter before.

If there's proof it could work, then I'd say go for it, as at present in terms of therapy there's really not much you can do. There's no telling whether a person will forever be able to repress their desires once they've been through therapy and may just relapse into such ''habits''.

I would also hope that if these were found to be effective, that everyone who needed them were given them free of charge because of the urgency.

I agree, I've probably simplified it and I don't think there's simply enough research as of yet to say how they arise. It will be very interesting to see in the future how science eventually answers such questions as how fetishes arise and 100% conclude what determines sexuality.
    Sexuality is very complicated and I suspect for fetishes the answers will lie in the brain,which is the most poorly understood organ.I suspect it might have something to do with neuroplasticity perhaps and how it might be shaped by childhood experiences pehaps ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Sexuality is very complicated and I suspect for fetishes the answers will lie in the brain,which is the most poorly understood organ.I suspect it might have something to do with neuroplasticity perhaps and how it might be shaped by childhood experiences pehaps ?
    Yeah I don't think there's any doubts it's probably in the brain haha I agree and I expect there's more to it as well, as I believe males are far, far more likely to develop a fetish than women which "must" be down to some further kind of biological explanation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    it might be shaped by childhood experiences pehaps ?
    Be careful going down that road. That's the excuse people used to use to try and say that people became gay after being abused as a child.

ReputationRep:
    I think some gay people are gay because epigenetic. I also think some people are gay by choice (even if only a small proportion).

ReputationRep:
    Good ole epigenetics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Probably like 10/20% nature 80/90% nurture/environment imo
    I disagree. I'd swap those percentages around.

Also I think it is decided very early on. Looking back I can tell I was straight from playgroup age.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think it's in your genes, I know twins who are both gay and it just made me think that it's definitely something you're born with

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Be careful going down that road. That's the excuse people used to use to try and say that people became gay after being abused as a child.
    But Im talking about fetishes ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.