Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the way we game changing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Mobile gaming has been a bit ruined by the direction apps have gone - when I go in the store these days there are just loads and loads AND LOADS of those sim/building games which have a time limit on progression and make you fork out to upgrade things or just to play the game. Most of these games companies are held up by "whales" who spend loads of money on them.

It's a shame because there have been some really good mobile games but I feel like it's too difficult to find good ones amongst all the spam clone games. I've always been happy to pay for good mobile games too I wish we could go back to that model.
    I'm a sucker for sim games but I agree that it's very, very hard to find any decent ones amongst all the trash. I don't have time to get invested in games which either require extreme periods of waiting or alternatively ''unlocking'' with money. I feel bad for people like those 'whales', especially young teens who get caught up in it easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    With the introduction of Virtual Reality, we are witnessing a new way to 'game'. Companies are investing a lot of money into this technology as they see it as the next big thing, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Additionally, the use of microtransactions and DLC is becoming all too frequent in games nowadays. EA seem to be mostly responsible for starting this trend, but it is costing gamers more and more money, despite the already expensive base prices for the game. The content seems to be going down, whilst the prices go up.

Are you okay with the direction of video games at the present? Will gaming always be a keyboard and mouse/controller to you? Do you dislike EA (Although unfortunately they make games that I like so I still buy them!)
    I think with both things it all depends on how these are implemented.

VR won't be for everyone and from all reports it seems that it's more about how each individual game uses the technology to create the experience rather than the tech itself, which certainly seems sound.

DLC can be an great way to add to what should be an already complete experience. Recent (ish) examples being Dishonored and Alien: Isolation that have done this awesomely. Sadly sometimes companies, like EA, will put profit before a quality product and that means the industry suffers as a whole for that.

Microtransactions again can be done really well. I've poured hours into Path of Exile and it's such a well done FTP game that I don't mind splashing out on a few cosmetic content packs here and there due to the sheer value of the game itself. Sadly there are games, like Clash of Clans etc, that get you to a point where you must pay to get ahead.

All of this can go either way and the industry moves so fast compared to other mediums of entertainment so I'm we won't have that long to wait to see how all of these aspects of current gaming pan out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenceCuckoo)
    I think with both things it all depends on how these are implemented.

VR won't be for everyone and from all reports it seems that it's more about how each individual game uses the technology to create the experience rather than the tech itself, which certainly seems sound.

DLC can be an great way to add to what should be an already complete experience. Recent (ish) examples being Dishonored and Alien: Isolation that have done this awesomely. Sadly sometimes companies, like EA, will put profit before a quality product and that means the industry suffers as a whole for that.

Microtransactions again can be done really well. I've poured hours into Path of Exile and it's such a well done FTP game that I don't mind splashing out on a few cosmetic content packs here and there due to the sheer value of the game itself. Sadly there are games, like Clash of Clans etc, that get you to a point where you must pay to get ahead.

All of this can go either way and the industry moves so fast compared to other mediums of entertainment so I'm we won't have that long to wait to see how all of these aspects of current gaming pan out
    I can see what you mean! Personally I think VR could be really good for educational purposes. Being able to visit various historical time periods would be pretty awesome!

I'm not surprised EA has been voted the worst games company or whatever for a few years in a row! I suppose it comes down to the size of the company - Big companies like EA can get away with treating their customers poorly, whilst companies like CD Projekt RED (Witcher) don't have that massive pool of customers so have to do their best to get people to buy their games.

ReputationRep:
    I can see what you mean! Personally I think VR could be really good for educational purposes. Being able to visit various historical time periods would be pretty awesome!

I'm not surprised EA has been voted the worst games company or whatever for a few years in a row! I suppose it comes down to the size of the company - Big companies like EA can get away with treating their customers poorly, whilst companies like CD Projekt RED (Witcher) don't have that massive pool of customers so have to do their best to get people to buy their games.
    VR could be really good for Skyrim purposes! The prospect of charging a horse around the tundra or looking out into the distance from the summit of the Throat of the World makes VR in it's entirety worth it for me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah I agree and I feel as though that's the mass opinion from gamers. But still these big publishers, Activision and EA for example, continue to push for profit

I mean you don't have to look any further than the backlash against the COD: Infinite Warfare trailer and Activision saying they didn't care about the hostility toward it. The sad truth is that people are going to buy it and there will never be a mass boycott of any game that big
    The pre-orders are down from previous years, so maybe it's the start of a boycott. I want these games to be made, but without the same formulaic pattern every time; I mean COD is basically a point and click game.

ReputationRep:
    VR is not really going to take off for a long while yet, there is nothing super good on vr and until the technology gets far better VR will be a gimmick. a cool gimmick but nothing I could see me using for more than a few days.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.