Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sodomy?

We're not in the ****in 1300's here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Does everyone include Hitler, Stalin, Genghis Khan?
    Well, yeah. I wouldn't personally wish for anyone to be sent to their death. With such people I think it's better to learn from their mistakes and retain the knowledge of the impacts their actions have had as opposed to committed similar actions to them. I don't think that the death penalty is a suitable deterrent. It may act as an appropriate form of retribution in some people's opinion, but I don't feel like the chances of deterring other criminals would be that high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Ria25 sodomy?

There are different kinds of murder, for example murder and premeditated murder. (I'm not sure of the technical jargon.)

Death penalty allows for a slippery slope.

By any chance are you Muslim?
    Hey ,no I am not Muslim , but I respect your view on this , and why you think that .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matrix123)
    Well, yeah. I wouldn't personally wish for anyone to be sent to their death. With such people I think it's better to learn from their mistakes and retain the knowledge of the impacts their actions have had as opposed to committed similar actions to them. I don't think that the death penalty is a suitable deterrent. It may act as an appropriate form of retribution in some people's opinion, but I don't feel like the chances of deterring other criminals would be that high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is what I think , it's because of humanity , I think it is wrong for a harsh punishment like that and I understand that in a victims families eyes that if one person has been murdered then that person deserves to die too.
    But their are many other reasons that people commit the crime as of the past and circumstances . But rehabilitation and longer sentancing with counselling and help can be of help to the criminal and reassuring that they are okay and can get back into society easily.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Boondock Saint)
    I don't find the argument that it 'can result in the deaths of innocent people' to be very good. Most of us would be able to look back in history and find a number of wars that we would readily admit to be completely justified, or even absolutely necessary, yet the possibility of innocent people dying was, and will always be present in such cases. So unless you're a complete pacifist and reject the use of violence in all circumstances, then I don't think anyone can use this argument whilst still being logically consistent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Except even using your purely utilitarian criteria (which I do not agree with and is not logically inconsistent at all unless that was literally my only argument) the death penalty can still not be justified because there is no evidence that it acts as an effective deterrent. On top of that, if you're a fan of utilitarian arguments, it is also very expensive in comparison to the alternatives.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    No. They deserve to rot, death is quick and easy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ria25)
    This is what I think , it's because of humanity , I think it is wrong for a harsh punishment like that and I understand that in a victims families eyes that if one person has been murdered then that person deserves to die too.
    But their are many other reasons that people commit the crime as of the past and circumstances . But rehabilitation and longer sentancing with counselling and help can be of help to the criminal and reassuring that they are okay and can get back into society easily.
    :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Except even using your purely utilitarian criteria (which I do not agree with and is not logically inconsistent at all unless that was literally my only argument) the death penalty can still not be justified because there is no evidence that it acts as an effective deterrent. On top of that, if you're a fan of utilitarian arguments, it is also very expensive in comparison to the alternatives.
    I'm not sure what part of my post was based on utilitarianism, perhaps you can clarify? If anything, it's your arguments that seem very utilitarian.

The problem is that I also find the other common objections that you've raised to not be very good. It might not be a deterrent against murder per-se, but it’s definitely a deterrent against particular types of murder. An example of this is stranger murder, which is the murder of witnesses after a crime has been committed (i.e. the murder of a cashier at a supermarket, staff at petrol stations, or rape victims). This is because once you’ve raped or robbed someone, and there’s no death penalty, the chances are that you have no greater risk attached to you, if you decide to kill your victim. Your sentence wouldn’t be significantly longer, and it actually provides a rational reason to kill the victim, because often, killing the victim, would mean that you’ve killed the only witness to your crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boondock Saint)
    I'm not sure what part of my post was based on utilitarianism, perhaps you can clarify? If anything, it's your arguments that seem very utilitarian.

The problem is that I also find the other common objections that you've raised to not be very good. It might not be a deterrent against murder per-se, but it’s definitely a deterrent against particular types of murder. An example of this is stranger murder, which is the murder of witnesses after a crime has been committed (i.e. the murder of a cashier at a supermarket, staff at petrol stations, or rape victims). This is because once you’ve raped or robbed someone, and there’s no death penalty, the chances are that you have no greater risk attached to you, if you decide to kill your victim. Your sentence wouldn’t be significantly longer, and it actually provides a rational reason to kill the victim, because often, killing the victim, would mean that you’ve killed the only witness to your crime.
    Have you got any evidence that says that the death penalty acts as a deterrent for stranger murder? Because virtually all statistics and every academic article I've ever read has concluded that execution does not serve as a deterrent.

(Original post by Ordo)
    How is that hypocritical? This will fear people to take things seriously so they won't look for 'opportunities' for their pleasures. 10 years in prison or anywhere else won't change them - they have wrong set of mind that they think it is normal to do serious crimes. They need to eliminate from the society to ensure people are safe and in future there will less people being influenced by criminals.We are talking about people who actually committed serious crimes. Would need strong evidence and witnesses to prove innocence. Statistically there is very small chances of innocent people being killed. You need to research more about it.
    Haha you tell other people to do research yet you think capital punishment is a deterrent, what a joke. So in your mind it's worth killing a few innocent people just so we can kill some bad people, even though that doesn't achieve anything?

(Original post by Grimm Reaper)
    What if by killing a serial killer you end up saving more lives, than if you were to let that person walk or escaping prison and killing more innocent people?

What if it was hopeless of changing their behavior and frankly some people will never change. Or they pretend to have change their ways just to leave prison so they can resume their crimes?
    Why do people insisting on pretending that 1) the UK has this problem with serial killers and they pop up all the time and; 2) that you either have to execute a serial killer or release them and let them kill more people, there are other options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.