Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you knock about Outer West London you cannot avoid Indian people..

ReputationRep:
    Lived in London for a year, didn't encounter any kind of racism. Went to Brighton for a weekend, encountered it in the first 2 hours which was fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Really? What kind of things did they say, if you don't mind me asking?
    Yes, really - is it seriously that hard to believe lol? Some people are actually racist

To give an overview of the kind of remarks:

- insulting the way black people eat (yes, really) and the type of food West African people eat

- 'joking' about how black people only know how to hunt and pick cotton, not study

- derogatory terms used to reference those who were once enslaved

- likening my dad to an animal

- being called a slapper and a camel amongst other things because of the structure of my body

It isn't nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfslayer1)
    Yes, really - is it seriously that hard to believe lol? Some people are actually racist

To give an overview of the kind of remarks:

- insulting the way black people eat (yes, really) and the type of food West African people eat

- 'joking' about how black people only know how to hunt and pick cotton, not study

- derogatory terms used to reference those who were once enslaved

- likening my dad to an animal

- being called a slapper and a camel amongst other things because of the structure of my body

It isn't nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Smh, disgusting that these kind of views and comments abound in this day and age. I'm sorry you had to experience that :/ :console:

ReputationRep:
    London is a cosmopolitan city, so mostly no.

However if you are very unlucky or get in street fights you might get the odd racial slur.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Smh, disgusting that these kind of views and comments abound in this day and age. I'm sorry you had to experience that :/ :console:
    Hey don't worry about it buddy, I guess some people are just mean. Luckily not everyone eh (:

ReputationRep:
    Sigh, stealing benefits? Really?

Stealing?

Seriously?
    Didn't mean to rep whoops. Definitely bloody not.

ReputationRep:
    There's racism everywhere kid.
    Go to Africa and be white, racism.
    Go to East Asia and not be East Asian, racism.
    The point is, majority dominates. If you don't fit in with the majority, whether it's white, black, Asian what have you, you're probably gonna have to get creative with surviving. Well it's not right just inevitable. You can't hide inside and not travel and experience and let it determine which school you go to lol Well you can do whatever you want. I cba dont even know why I'm signed in tbh lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by binarythoughts)
    Lived in London for a year, didn't encounter any kind of racism. Went to Brighton for a weekend, encountered it in the first 2 hours which was fun
    What happened

ReputationRep:
    It depends, I have only heard of 3 people my age (18) experience serve racism and I have only seen one person get verbally abused on transport. So it depends where you live but London is very multi cultural so yu should be safe.

ReputationRep:
    In London, it is unlikely.

However, outside of London, it is more likely. Especially as you head North. They are pretty racist up there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    What happened
    This old ass lady passed a fairly racist comment aimed at me

ReputationRep:
    Sigh, stealing benefits? Really?

Stealing?

Seriously?
    Hmm, let's think about that shall we. That jewel on the top of the queens' crown, you know the nice shiny one - that sure looks good. I wonder where that came from or shall I say *stolen* from...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timokane5)
    Hmm, let's think about that shall we. That jewel on the top of the queens' crown, you know the nice shiny one - that sure looks good. I wonder where that came from or shall I say *stolen* from...
    Irrelevant. What do the crown jewels have to do with your claim that foreigners are stealing benefits as part of karma?

ReputationRep:
    lies... India was the richest country in the world until the british came. British might have helped in development but it certainly wasnt their money. Instead Britain only stole indias money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    Your logic, my friend, is terrifying.

If all generations have to pay for their ancestors' past then why don't we lynch all white Americans because of the African slave trade? Why don't we commit genocide on the Chinese because of the Taiwan Strait Crises? Why don't we put all Germans into a concentration camp because of the Nazis? The movement of people has nothing to do with karma, but instead the inequality in regional economic development. As much as that might be down to early colonisation, much of India's development can be attributed to Britain's rule in the region as it was British money that funded schools, public services and jobs.
    India was the worlds richest country before Britains rule it didnt need britains money even though britain did help in tech development. Instead britain only stole indias money. so your claim is wrong

ReputationRep:
    London is like the least racist place in the UK. Living in a northern town, there are a few instances of racism towards people of color I did hear some chav abuse a group of Pakistani women one got punched in the face and was told to go back home. It's funny how racists always seem to attack women because they are cowards and can't pick on people who will beat the crap out of them
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dakshsaksena)
    I was just wondering, are there a lot of instances towards Indians in the UK/London?
    Because London represents the entire UK doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Thought the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    For Indians it does :lol:

Theoretical situation:

Me: "I'm from Scotland"
    Indians: "Where?"
    Me: "Scotland, UK"
    Indians: "I don't know"
    Me: (sigh) "London"
    Indians: "Ohhhhhhhhh! Now I know what you're talking about!"

:rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.