Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I genuinely have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, I've not changed anything about your quote, nor does it make any difference if you're talking about the Council or Parliament for our purposes because for the third time, neither of them have to consent to a country triggering Article 50. They have to agree with any particular terms of withdrawal but not the withdrawal itself.
    we'll see

(Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Don't worry Remainers your anti-democratic wishes will be answered!

If Britain doesn't invoke article 50 before March 31st 2017 the Lisbon Treaty 2009 will be in full effect. To leave the EU Britain will need the consent of a majority of the member states.

This is why the PM David Cameron is delaying the decision. This is why Theresa May wants to get her hands on the Tory leadership and why the Labour party is in a full melt down.

You should be over joyed that the will of the people is going to be sub-dued just like it was in Ireland.

http://www.ukipdaily.com/the-neverending-referendum/

So what do you need to do to keep Britain in the EU? Well join the Conservative party and vote for Theresa May.

Notice how all the Tory candidates are dropping out and putting their support behind her.

You deserve this. You can still subvert the will of the people!

Hurrah! Regressive Hurrah!

2+2 = 5!

4 is hate speech!

==============

Evidence right from the horses mouth

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release...16-2328_en.htm

A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

It is a QVM issue after 31st March 2017!

https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2016/06...lier-slogpost/

GLORY TO THE ANTI DEMOCRATIC EU!
    I get the feeling that we may need more than a hairpin to pick this lock

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    I get the feeling that we may need more than a hairpin to pick this lock
    The way i see it there is a lot of different interpretations on the Treaty of Lisbon and all the other older laws. 31st March 2017 could be what sends Britain into a crisis as we find out Britain no longer has any power. If this is the case Gold & Silver are going to keep climbing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if most European countries still have the stomach for a war. I'm not reading the article the same way you are, but I think that even if you're right, they wouldn't be stupid enough to try and keep Britain in the EU by force. Surely they know that would lead to World War III...

I strongly suspect most of the EU would vote Britain out before letting things get to that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    we'll see
    You are flogging a very dead horse. Article 50 gives states the right to resign from the EU. The reference to qualified majority voting is with regard to the remaining EU members agreeing the negotiated exit terms. There is no doubt about or change to the right to leave the EU.

The writer of that article is an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    The UK can leave when it wants.

The only thing all remaining member states get a say on is the terms of any future relationship between the UK and the EU. That's a point many people in the remain camp have been pointing out for some time now.

I don't see what's so controversial?*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.